Culture

Responsive image
Pages x

Writing is — and should be — really hard and really frustrating. Otherwise, you’re not doing it right.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The self-awareness of a new generation is propelling this internet-age style of music into the mainstream.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

These two powerhouses have challenged what it means to be a girl group in South Korea.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Diversity can be hard to find in the accepted literary canon, but literature is full of LGBTQ+ representation if you know where to look.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

It’s easy to romanticize Taylor Swift’s extremely successful life. What many of us fail to remember is that it can be hard to be famous.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

K-pop and K-dramas might be expanding America’s cultural horizons, but does it come at a price?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Many of these books are criticized for their unrealistic portrayal of the world; however, that may be their greatest strength.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Music is often categorized into rigid genres but here are some artists who are crafting distinctive styles.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The author who can do it all is telling the stories of humanity — and rating each of them on a five-star scale.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

While reigniting interest in poetry, ‘Instagram poets’ like Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace still face their share of criticism.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The outspoken critic of the country music industry has returned with an experimental tour de force of an album.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

With digital media on the rise, it is no surprise that there are more options than ever out there for manga fans to get their fix anytime.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

With so many unique music options out there, it can be a life changing experience to add some international love to your playlist.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The musician’s accessible tunes belie an artist bent on showcasing a real rock ‘n’ roll energy and confronting gender roles and heteronormativity.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The rich diversity of Korean music isn’t limited to the country’s most popular musical export.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Although plenty of time has passed since they were first released, literary classics have much to offer.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Even with a new sound, the Irish musician continues to use poetic lyrics and a masterful blending of rock, pop and electronic music to connect with audiences.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The past four years have not been easy for the pop star, but she’s back in the music world and she’s making her mark.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The social media platform, which seems engineered for virality, is displacing streaming services like Spotify when it comes to finding new songs and artists.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Her new single finds the country singer caught between her Tennessee home and the fast-paced life of Los Angeles.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Forget Taylor Swift. The real artist of the decade was Hannah Montana.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

These two have been working hard for their whole careers. It’s time to see them work together.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

A seemingly ambitious project, the series falls prey to poor execution and hollow characterization.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The event was overshadowed by the death of Kobe Bryant and looming allegations about the Recording Academy.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The indie pop band’s newest single will make a fine addition to their upcoming album out this February.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Skip Coachella. Here’s why these festivals with under 10,000 attendees are the best.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The K-pop star is facing some extreme backlash from a very rabid fanbase.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The musician’s latest album is brilliantly and beautifully manic.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

After falling a little behind the times, its smooth sounds are back to capture the ears and hearts of listeners.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The original novel behind the Netflix series leaves fans intrigued and captivated by the modern-day Ted Bundy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This small publishing duo is making waves with their thoughtful reissues of out of print novels.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

She’s the definition of a bad–s woman born before her time who championed intersectionality and womanism in her poetry, essays and other writings.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

It’s the beginning of 2020, so now is the time to freshen up those playlists. Here are some ideas on how to organize them.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Although a lot of electronic music has a reputation for sonic dissonance, it’s still capable of evoking a wide range of deep emotions.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The announcement has many excited, but still courts some controversy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Dark humor, messy gore and surreal turns characterize her impressive run in the early ‘90s.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

This folk trio has been releasing quality music for nearly two decades, but still sits just below the radar.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Moving away from lo-fi demos and unfussy EPs, the best punk and hardcore exhibited a tendency toward spirited ambition.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Awê! We underestimate our neighbors to the east, who have created their own innovative spin on the genre.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Released just moments after her Sweetener World Tour ended, this recording perfectly captures the intensity and skill of the musician’s live performances.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

This fresh adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s book exalts each March sister in her own right, exploring the girls’ unique struggles and experiences.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The young singer brought fans down a road toward the weird and wonderful world of the average teenage girl.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Get ready to dive into star-trotting space operas and meet super-powered web slingers.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Dig in to this wide, diverse genre.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

From the casual lyric drops to dragging misogynists, the musician took important stands and summed up an influential, storied career (so far).

By

Responsive image
Pages x

These creatives used their unique voices to capture the complexities and concerns of the past ten years.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The song caps off a passionate four-song EP that might be the musician’s best work yet.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

With 2020 right around the corner, it’s time to take chances. Finding a partner never comes easy, so forget everything you know.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

A dull, misogynistic waste of time, ‘LP1’ proves the former One Direction singer belongs in the trash.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The hip-hop artist sadly joins the ranks of influential artists taken far too soon.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The multi-talented musician and ‘Hamilton’ cast member is one of the most innovative artists working today.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

‘Frozen the Musical,’ is holding nothing back on its Hollywood journey.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

A ‘Fine Line’ opinion that’s as unbiased as I can be.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Young, gifted and black, the 11-year-old dancer is already breaking down barriers.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

You don’t have to go broke getting something for your favorite audio fanatic.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Sounds x

The One Direction singer has a very interesting encounter with a fish that’s packed with personal meaning.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Richard Powers’ Pulitzer Prize-winning book captures the imagination with larger-than-life personification and gives a new take on contemporary issues.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Set 100 years ago, the novel portrays a 1919 full of political and social tension that should not be unfamiliar in the present day.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

If you’re still hankering for more British monarchy drama, check out these titles.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The pop star’s presence was inescapable.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Exciting storytelling has been replaced with long-winding exposition in the young adult author’s latest novel.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The talented producer, rapper and writer is creating hilarious tunes for a new digital age.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The former One Directioner opened up, but is still facing some antipathy.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Nothings says ’tis the season like a go-to Christmas track.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Space city is much more than ‘Astroworld’; these rappers personify the city’s culture with their unique beats and styles.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

They used to be reserved for dimming stars, but now it’s hosting the brightest and regaining its reputation.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

This Shakespeare adaptation strays from the source material, but in doing so creates quite the cautionary tale about the price of war.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The singer changed the game for Latinx artists and now this upcoming biopic will give fans an even closer look at her infamous life.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Holly Black ties up the loose ends in her sweeping ‘Folk of the Air’ young adult fantasy series.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

If you’re an OG fan of the melodramatic rapper, you probably hate him now.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The newest ‘Saturday Night Live’ cast member Bowen Yang has a podcast with his friend Matt Rogers, and it’s time to get listening.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The pop star’s contribution to the ‘Cats’ soundtrack parallels her own life in a few ways.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Sounds x

Taylor Swift is fighting for the rights of musicians to retain control over their own work.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Sounds x

“I’d take a personal connection of 10,000 people over a commercial audience of a million.”

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They have a charm that can’t be matched by the large corporate chains.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

The electronic musician’s public statement proves that victims are still being ignored.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

Almost seven years after the beloved Nickelodeon show ended, it’s finally available on the popular streaming service. Ariana Grande and Victoria Justice have come a long way.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Ibram X. Kendi’s newest book mixes personal narrative and political analysis to examine how structural racism manifests itself today — oftentimes unconsciously.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// Thoughts x

Beachwear, crop tops and chokers. Oh my!

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Imagine listening to your favorite hip-hop songs in moody, angelic slow motion.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The concept album features a futuristic storyline as well as a blend of different genres that defy easy categorization. 

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sounds x

The success of the rapper’s second annual festival proves Astroworld 2020 will not be one to miss.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The artist speaks out on some controversies in this new release.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The album is full of legends, from Chaka Khan to Donna Summer.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The ‘Folk of the Air’ trilogy — a world of intrigue and fairies — will receive a fitting send-off by the acclaimed young adult author.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The new album might be his worst one yet.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Roll into some wacky adventures with these D&D podcasters.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The trap musician mixes up his trademark pounding basslines with other styles on this distinct and complex production.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

You can always count on this New York radio show to keep it real — whether it’s the music or the commentary, these hosts are guaranteed to make mornings better.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Fans deserve more credit for their art, especially as fan works move into the mainstream.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

‘Maniac’ shows that the singer is a force to be reckoned with, in dating and in the music industry.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The demand for change in the performing arts is leading to a new kind of sex talk.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Responsive image
Culture x

From an extravagant card game, to an occult tool, to a mediation technique, tarot is far more interesting than a mere carnival exhibition.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

Her new tracks ‘Lose You To Love Me’ and ‘Look At Her Now’ have skyrocketed up the charts, but they’ve also attracted some haters.

By

Screens /// Sounds x

Responsive image
Sounds x

Responsive image
Pages x

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Dig in to this wide, diverse genre.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Who knew she was such a softy?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Did your favorites make the cut?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

We’ll see if it lives up to the hype.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Directioners, this is truly not the end.

Responsive Image

A look at how a once great network lost its way.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

While Gucci Mane has dropped some great hits, his newest album shows that he’s getting a little too comfortable with his patented formula.

Responsive Image

The new album shows the 21-year-old indie artist expanding his sound, while still bringing catchy sad boy tunes.

Responsive Image

Social media bullying and the grueling standards of the South Korean pop music industry could have played a part in the star’s untimely passing.

Responsive Image

This indie pop artist’s debut album ‘Immunity’ goes far beyond the expectations established by her viral singles.

Responsive Image

The popular singer is refreshingly honest about his own struggles with mental health.

Responsive Image

The supergroup gives traditional outlaw country a powerful, all-female twist.

Responsive Image

The artist addresses the HIV/AIDS crisis with his club nights, but not without some controversy from activist circles.

Responsive Image

And stirs up controversy as he typically does.

Responsive Image

From dub to off-kilter anarcho-punk, these recordings find freedom in the macabre.

Responsive Image

Jack rules as Pumpkin King, Marnie Piper lives in Halloweentown and the Sanderson witches haunt Salem. But none of these Halloween classics live up to the true history behind All Hallows’ Eve.

Responsive Image

If you find yourself stressed, running from one thing to the next, you might need a new strategy. This reading habit can help bring intentionality to chaotic routines.

Responsive Image

This young activist is working with a worldwide movement to help stave off the threat of climate change.

Responsive Image

We stan artists coming into their own.

Responsive Image

We’re not ready for the new trend that is Halloween music.

Responsive Image

We love her, but she needs to do better.

Responsive Image

How to manage when the workday is long, but the commute feels longer.

Responsive Image

Even amidst a future, supernatural dystopia, this manga still sees hope at the heart of humanity.

Responsive Image

Can HBO finally make an adaptation that will make Alan Moore proud?