News & Politics

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Based on the 1954 teleplay ‘Twelve Angry Men,’ the feminist reinterpretation asks critical questions about how much race and gender relations have really changed in the last half-century.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The influential, spiritual and ultimately suicidal founder of Pro Era will have an album of his unfinished work posthumously released on the five-year anniversary of his death, an event that remains shrouded in mystery to this day.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s all fun and games until Trump goes too far.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The rift between comedians and their audiences is nothing new, but the internet is.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As awareness of gender identity and its many forms becomes more mainstream, gender-neutral names are becoming more common, a trend that could potentially save millions of lives.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

Reyanne Mustafa and her parter, Kristian Krugman, turn unused food into protein bars, helping to alleviate hunger and change others’ perceptions of what food waste looks (and tastes) like.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

As an intern for the Blue Ridge Parkway, a national park that spans North Carolina and Virginia, the rising junior helps visitors appreciate the rich history of Appalachia.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

In attacking their school’s exercise initiative, the editors of UCLA’s student newspaper unintentionally demonstrate the problems of oversensitivity.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Given how critical music is to media, the real question is what took so long?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Last month at Comic-Con, the cable channel revealed the first footage of the soon-to-be-revived ‘Hey Arnold’ and ‘Rocko’s Modern Life,’ and ’90s kids couldn’t be happier.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A guide to this summer’s rare celestial event, including what it is, when it is, how to safely view it and where to go for the full eclipse experience.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The hot new health fad, which calls for abstaining from food for long periods and then gorging yourself briefly, is almost brutal in its simplicity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The MassArt student and founder of the Green Arts Network brings Boston-area artists together to spur conservation-oriented change.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

When Peter Frates, the former Boston College baseball player who popularized the challenge, filmed himself being doused in ice water, he had no idea the impact the video would have.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The recent death of Kyara is just the latest reminder that though orcas die at an alarming rate in captivity, SeaWorld has refused to free its remaining twenty-two whales.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Though the competition is often maligned for promoting stereotypes, the organization has made positive changes in recent years and remains the largest provider of scholarships for women in the U.S.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

A recent NYU study of Donald’s Trump’s tweets has revealed the key trait in almost all viral content.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Go from being a couch potato to a couch professional, all while making money and enjoying a flexible schedule.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The movie adaptation of Jenny Han’s YA novel will bring substantial Asian-American representation to the big screen for the first time in two decades.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

No quick fix will ever replace a healthy lifestyle, and any diet that promises otherwise is a bad idea.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

While Christopher Nolan’s WWII production is getting rave reviews in the English-speaking world, some groups feel that the film glosses over their historical contributions.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The transgender community is fighting for gender neutral public bathrooms, but they aren’t the only ones inconvenienced by the lack of them.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Inspiration porn, which objectifies disabled individuals by pitying or praising them, remains one of society’s most cringe-worthy mainstays.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Like everything else, veganism exists on a spectrum. Where do you land?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Where other female rappers have broken into the male-dominated world of hip-hop by out-manning their competition, Noname flips the script, delivering soft, dense lines of poetry.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Spurred by suppressions of conservative thought on colleges across the country, state lawmakers nationwide are enacting legislation to protect a right that has founds its traditional protector and prosecutor reversed.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The DuVernay test, named after the African-American director, assesses films’ racial representation in the same way the Bechdel test did for gender inclusivity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The College of Holy Cross is just the latest institution to consider changing its mascot to reflect the times, but moves like these are rarely the social justice victory they hope to be.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Arena’s second stint as the USMNT coach matches an old wolf with a team of young pups. Will he be able to rescue the U.S. from obscurity?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

After more than nine seasons, the series has become an institution in the LGBT+ community. If it’s ever going to be mainstream, though, a few things need to change.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

There are plenty of ways to celebrate antebellum society that don’t involve commemorating the Confederacy.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Kamala Khan, a teenager growing up in Jersey City, uses the ordinariness of her life to subvert many of the stereotypes surrounding Islam in America.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Pop culture is full of problematic media, but finding pleasure in hip hop, ‘The Bachelor’ or ‘The Lord of the Rings’ doesn’t mean you can’t be critical.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The entertainment expo offered trailers and teasers galore, but, as usual, the biggest news was what Disney barely mentioned.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The BU student, who split her childhood between Romania and France, is developing software to keep child refugees safe by allowing them to communicate with humanitarian workers.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The UMass student, who has a last name built for politics, built himself a coalition of supporters through grassroots campaigns and encouraging students to vote.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Russia, Trump and the moral vacuum of the modern GOP.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The far right’s favorite insult is a reflection of what scares them most.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

In recent years, the network has produced numerous critically acclaimed, socially important dramas and comedies.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

The ‘New York Times’ copy editors’ walkout reveals the great paradox of modern journalism—there is more to cover but fewer resources.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

For a generation infamous for breaking from tradition, they seem particularly interested in their genetic heritage.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The series, which follows a band of wayward female wrestlers, seamlessly blends stereotype subversion into its ’80s training montages.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Technology has made the nonconsensual leaking of others’ explicit media into an epidemic, but the tech industry has some tricks up its sleeve.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Theresa May and the British state are torn between appearing resolute in their demands and striking a deal that doesn’t hurt English citizens.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

Once tasked with regulating industry and protecting the well-being of America’s natural world, the EPA has become a haven for anti-science and anti-environmentalism attitudes. Why? Because of Scott Pruitt.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Political rhetoric has turned gun ownership into an untouchable issue that relies on paranoia and fearmongering. In reality, the conversation is simple.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

In their effort to ‘de-monetize’ videos with inappropriate content, the video site has arbitrarily punished the creators of wrestling commentary, leaving the entire industry reeling.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Outside of the contiguous United States, patriotism looks a little different.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The Santa Clara University student, who will be traveling to Bolivia this summer to work with a female co-op producing sustainable clothing, weaves social justice into her sustainable clothing line.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The show “Uthando Nes’thembu,” which follows Musa Mseleku and his four wives, offers a glimpse into a society where polyamory is more normalized than in America.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

“Black Panther,” a film with a 90 percent African-American cast, needs to be successful to reiterate an important point to Hollywood—that audiences want representation.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Art has long been considered a means for artists to create new realities, but cultural sensitivity has challenged that license.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The YouTube star has admitted to preying on young, female fans, so why is he getting away with it?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The film, which is narrated by Samuel L. Jackson and sourced from Baldwin’s writing, poses questions that were as relevant at the time of their writing as they are today.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Though she was indicted for involuntary manslaughter, Carter’s real crime was her subversion of society’s archaic notions of suicide, which treat suffering as morally preferable to relief.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

At a time when campus shootings seem to happen every day, how will the Campus Carry Bill affect safety at Georgia colleges?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Hasan Minhaj, Sasheer Zamata and Trevor Noah are pushing viewers out of their comfort zones and making social justice center stage.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Republican response to Obama’s Dodd-Frank Act, called the Financial Choice Act, undoes many of the safeguards put in place to prevent another recession.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Now that the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program is on the block, students like me have been forced to scramble for new plans to repay our loans.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Though much ink has been spilt decrying the social and political concerns of the structure, its ecological ramifications are jaw-dropping.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you think topics like auto lending and Puerto Rico’s debt crisis can’t be funny, think again.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

For the sixth year running, the company has released a handful of products dedicated to affirming their belief that people, like athletes, are defined by their actions, not their beliefs or sexual orientations.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The real danger posed by terrorism is psychological, which means that the media is responsible for its potency.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Coach bought the designer to broaden its appeal to millennials, but the demographic has proved fickle in the past.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Counter to Trump’s logic, his decision will harm the world economically, environmentally and diplomatically.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Instead of listing all the things Trump does wrong, let’s talk about what motivates him to do so.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The long-awaited health care plan isn’t just another piece of shoddy legislation—it’s downright dangerous.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

On the bright side, the president’s tour of Saudi Arabia, Israel, Italy and Belgium could have been worse.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

For decades, stigma has discouraged women from reporting sexual assault. But have even deeper taboos suppressed men from reporting theirs?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

From diplomatic insight to fart jokes, the Catholic community had plenty to say about the meeting of world leaders.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The modern response to protests is to critique their participants, not their message, and these ad hominem attacks hurt both parties.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Britain has raised its threat level to ‘critical,’ and France has been in a ‘state of emergency’ for five years. Such precautions have ominous ramifications.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Undergraduates across the country are taking their security into their own hands, creating student-run programs to improve safety on college campuses.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Not only does the search engine skew your results, but you may already be paying for a better alternative.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Despite the fact that voters across the aisle have expressed disdain for the Clintons, the DNC and the media seem to agree that doubling down is the answer.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Created largely in response to counter alt-right violence, the ARA and other groups only escalate the fraught political atmosphere.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

By using the courts to combat Trump’s agenda, the DNC risks defanging the presidency that they hope to win back in four years.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After reports of the program’s cessation conflicted with the White House’s statement, the country is left wondering why women’s education is negotiable at all.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Six things you need to know about Emmanuel Macron and the future of France.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Government has a system of checks and balances, so should the media.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Do you know the difference between news and clickbait?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Diversity of perspective is a critical part of college, but not when it comes to empirical knowledge.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

He recently deemed the organization no longer ‘obsolete,’ signaling a shift toward a more globalist policy.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

You should be using Facebook and Twitter to spread information, not verdicts.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After saying goodbye to both Bill O’Reilly and Roger Ailes, the network stands poised to usher in a new era of conservative cable.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Most millennials have never known a world without perpetual war, weekly shootings and extremist attacks.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Trump’s recent missile strike may have more to do with Pyongyang than Aleppo.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The conflict in the Middle East is a lot closer to home than you think.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The plan, dubbed the Excelsior Scholarship, is ambitious but imperfect. Here are its biggest drawbacks.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

The petty bickering might be frustrating, but it was designed to be.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After visiting with a few other foreign-exchange students, I couldn’t help but notice how similar the country is to another communist nation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Supporting scientific innovation, especially the kind that saves lives and makes money, wasn’t a partisan issue before President Trump.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Why Americans hate Russians and Russians hate Americans, in a nutshell.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you only read the title of this article, please don’t share it.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you think admitting your privilege is self-effacing, then you’re in for a pleasant surprise.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With sweeping cuts to the arts, education and sciences, and increased defense and fossil-fuel funding, Trump appears to be on the warpath.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

Especially when the stresses of school seem all-consuming, having a pet can help some students stay grounded.

Culture x

The $60 million adaptation of the Steven King series is all kinds of mediocre.

Responsive image
Culture x

Following the successes of ‘Daredevil,’ ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘Luke Cage,’ the newest Marvel series represents a definite step backward, but nothing more.

Responsive image
Culture x

If you’re from the Garden State, you’re going to need to know how to defend it.

Responsive image
Responsive image

Whichever type of writing gets your creative juices flowing, there’s a way to do it at your school.

Responsive image

Whether it’s at your summer internship or your first job, one day you’ll have to make an ethically difficult decision. When that time comes, how will you determine what’s right?

Responsive image

Even if you think that they’re overplayed, these songs deserve major props.

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Monthly treats that your inner foodie will thank you for.

Responsive Image

The Netflix docuseries follows five Indian girls, born into the ‘untouchable’ cast, who have been admitted into a special school aimed at breaking the cycle of discrimination.

Responsive Image

Whether real or fiction, some of the greatest Hollywood productions have been centered around protagonists with…questionable hobbies.

Responsive Image

Warning: This article may cause you to spend hours trying to hack into your old Neopet account.

Responsive Image

Because the best feeling is saying ‘I’m over them’ and actually meaning it.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Whether for their elegant universes or unforgettable characters, each of these books would be perfect as a television series or feature film.

Responsive Image

Netflix has already begun experimenting with the choose-your-own adventure format for children’s media, but no one is sure how warmly the concept will be received by adult audiences.

Responsive Image

Going abroad is fun, but remember to plan for the unexpected, especially when it comes to staying in a stranger’s home.

Responsive Image

Be the wind to your own professional sails.

Responsive Image

If you’re sick of long-winded comedy specials, give Netflix’s episodic stand-up show a try.

Responsive Image

Gramatik, Exmag, GriZ and The Floozies all prove, in their own distinct ways, that hip-hop beats and electronic sensibilities belong together.

Responsive Image

These apps will help you stay on top of your game all semester long.

Responsive Image

If you’re looking for a list of superficial beach reads, you’ve come to the wrong article.

Responsive Image

The hilarious YouTube series, created by former SourceFed host Steven Suptic, is a sharply modern blend of irony, eccentricity and d.i.y. videography.

Responsive Image

Traditional books not working out for you? Check out these engaging graphic novels—no prior experience required.

Responsive Image

If you think poorly of pro wrestling but enjoy any of these popular forms of entertainment, you might want to rethink your position on the ring.

Responsive Image

Is today’s generation replacing ‘The Real World’ with real-world video bloggers?

Responsive Image

Although today’s children may never experience the same kind of movies we did, they’re being introduced to something far more important—the real world.

Responsive Image

The hysterical series was more preoccupied with the drama of transitioning to adulthood than with medicine, which is exactly why fans loved it.

Responsive Image

Alaska’s only real city is the chillest summer spot, but come winter, you may find yourself frozen in more ways than one.

Responsive Image

Can country music really ‘cross over,’ or is the latest cultural backflip from ‘Cosmo’ just a newfangled version of appropriation?

Responsive Image

In her new album, ‘Lust for Life,’ Del Rey takes another step toward becoming the person she wants to sound like.

Responsive Image

Led by judges who know what they’re doing, motivations that feel less gimmicky than most and the captivating physicality of its contestants, the NBC series soared in its first season.

Responsive Image

The ‘Citizen Kane’ of bad movies, which is the subject of an upcoming James Franco homage, has elevated its mysterious creator to ironic heights.

Responsive Image

Go into these movies having watched the trailers and you’ll find yourself quite confused.

Responsive Image

Despite its popularity, the new anonymous messenger app seems to be little more than a new medium for cyberbullying.

Responsive Image

Who knew Nintendo’s quirky life simulation game could help you deal with impeding student debt?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

If you’ve stayed up until sunrise with a book in your hands, you can probably relate.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

The show’s plot may be a stretch at times, but it does a better job than most at depicting the vicissitudes of high school and college life.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

The film, though ostensibly a documentary, is moored in the slipperiness of fact and the agency of intuition.

Responsive Image

It may be unconventional, but letting a series of internet algorithms determine your path in life sure takes a lot of pressure of off you.

Responsive Image

The docuseries offers an inside look at two careers that shaped the music industry forever.

Responsive Image

There’s no shame in being on a budget when it comes to dating. Here are some fun things to do with your significant other while the summer’s still kicking.

Responsive Image

When life is crazy, use these six tips to try slowing it down rather than speeding it up.

Responsive Image

After decades of failed attempts to adapt a video game into a decent movie, the four-part Netflix series may have finally cracked the code.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

The two shows ostensibly focus on exploring the same quirky demographic, but the HBO program appears wildly more realistic for two key reasons.

Responsive Image

If you live in the PNW and are looking for roller coasters, water parks or themed attractions, here’s where to go.

Responsive Image

From ‘Suicide Squad’ to ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ here are the definitive rankings of the last decade’s superhero movies.

Responsive Image

Yes, that means keeping your skepticism, concern or unwarranted advice to yourself. We’re all adults here.

Responsive Image

Turns out, your musical preferences are almost entirely dictated by whether you’re an ’empathizer’ or a ‘systemizer.’

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Ngozi Ukazu’s web comic about sexuality, hockey and copious amounts of pie will find itself on bookstore shelves next year.

Responsive Image

Though disguised as an action-packed summer blockbuster, the final installment of the simian trilogy is a cerebral exploration of what binds a society together.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

The film manages to show the reality of eating disorders without fetishizing them, all while doing so with a very wry dark humor.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

If you and your SO are separated for the summer, dealing with the distance is hard but definitely doable.

Responsive Image

Despite a few hiccups, director Luc Besson used the film, to great success, as little more than an opportunity to showcase a stunningly visual world.

Responsive Image

Work it while you work out.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

There are dozens of reasons why and a variety of ways how, but the important thing is that somehow, in some form, you put pen to paper.

Responsive Image

Spidey’s return to the MCU was celebrated by fans everywhere—but is it really a return?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

For a series based on ten seasons of comically bashing terrible movies, the show feels remarkably fresh.

Responsive Image

When it comes to sexual stamina, it’s time to stop pressuring men to last longer in bed.

Responsive Image

If the popularity of K-pop is any indication, it’d probably be a smart move to hop on the K-TV wagon early.

Responsive Image

As Facebook and Instagram continue to copy its ideas, the ghostly app has been forced into a state of perpetual-innovation.

Responsive Image

After logging its fewest homers ever in 2014, the MLB is now on pace to shatter its home run record this year. Some theorists claim the uptick is no accident.

Responsive Image

These are the albums that are (or should be) defining the decade.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

If you’re into wilderness survival, wildlife tracking or first aid, the Wolf Camp and Conservatory College in Puyallup, Washington, may be calling your name.

Responsive Image

It turns out that crying on the floor post-breakup is totally explained by science—and now you’ve got a great excuse to eat ice cream.

Responsive Image

The potential cast for the live-action ‘Aladdin’ has become a source of contention for fans, revealing that racism is a reality beyond the big screen.

Responsive Image

If you look deeper into the fun chick flick, its plot holes are undeniable.

Responsive Image

Stop settling for $7.25 an hour.

Responsive Image

With a serious writer at the helm, and a superb actress as the lead, the future of “Doctor Who” has never looked so exciting.

Responsive Image

After ten years, the long-awaited ‘That’s So Raven’ spin-off finally comes to Disney Channel.

Responsive Image

From Jay Z to Imagine Dragons, who has your vote for the best summer record?

Responsive Image

And what winning his record eighth Wimbledon title means for his legacy.

Responsive Image

Damsels in distress make way for leading ladies as Disney moves into a new era of empowerment for young girls.

Responsive Image

Contrary to popular belief, majoring in Theatre may actually be what lands you a post-grad job.

Responsive Image

Going to college means having to do everything by yourself, but when meals get consistently boring, make sure you know a thing or two about mom’s cooking.

Responsive Image

A brief look at the vast world of fans and fandom on one of the internet’s top blogging websites.

Responsive Image

Since 2011, ‘Dance Moms’ has been the show to watch on Lifetime, but is it time to give the moms and daughters a rest?

Responsive Image

The second season of Handler’s talk show on Netflix has been more political than ever, and she’s not apologizing for it.

Responsive Image

The adaptation to a 2D side scroller that we never knew we wanted, or just don’t want?

Responsive Image

Studying abroad can be one of the best experiences of you life and you don’t only have to do them while you’re in college.

Responsive Image

College is a time where you learn what you’re going to do for the rest of your life, but studying multiple things at the same time isn’t going to help you succeed quicker.

Responsive Image

As you go through college, your relationship with your hometown will change, mostly for the better.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

A nostalgic reflection on a shotgun idea turned bombshell franchise from a proud Slytherin.

Responsive Image

If you’re looking for more than a quick beach read this summer, try these.

Responsive Image

So your summer collection needs a little sprucing up, but so does your bank account. Here’s how to split the difference.

Responsive Image

Whether you’re crushing, heartbroken or head-over-heels, 2017 has provided a variety of songs for all kinds of love. Here are six of the best.

Responsive Image

With his boisterous personality and passion for cooking, the famous Scottish chef has become one of the biggest television personalities of this decade.

Responsive Image

Everything you’ve learned about hair health, made simple.

Responsive Image

Why are there trends in body types anyway?

Responsive Image

After seven seasons, fans finally had to say goodbye to the phenomenon that was ‘Pretty Little Liars.’

Responsive Image

Loving your animals is best thing you can do for them, but saving them from being slaughtered is a close second.

Responsive Image

The steps you need to take if you want to build your career around freelancing.

Responsive Image

Pageants are swiftly falling behind the times. Here are three ways they could change to empower the modern woman.

Responsive Image

A look at some of the most addicting, immersive and captivating standalone novels and series to dive into over summer break.

Responsive Image

If you’ve wanted to learn a new language but were always too busy, the new vocabulary app ‘Drops’ is here to help.

Responsive Image

The indie darling captivated audiences and created new expectations for humor and inclusion in rom-coms.