News & Politics

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Women make up nearly 50.8 percent of the population, yet they only account for 19.6 percent of the U.S. Congress. What gives?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In an eery parallel to the 1940s internment camps of Japanese Americans, hundreds of legal Cambodian-Americans citizens are being held without reason.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Considering the number of injuries to team passers this season, is it just ‘bad luck’ or is it becoming tougher to protect quarterbacks in today’s NFL?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

You both love dogs, eating ice cream and watching Game of Thrones. It’s all wonderful, but what about when the dating turns to politics?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A surprising wave of Democrats inundated Virginia politics, and many think Trump is the reason why.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A new study has found that gamers outperform non-gamers in attention tests, so go ahead, log back on.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Why we should all be terrified of the rise of the European far right.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The origin of the hashtag that sparked a social media uprising.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Here are just a few light talking points for family dinners during the holiday season!

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

This week’s local elections show a changing face for our legislators.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The brand is back, but one question remains: Is it still the same as before?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Is living in a political bubble beneficial?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

New health care policies made by the Trump administration are going into effect soon, which means it’s time to stand up for women’s rights.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The recent Harvey Weinstein scandal, in which his history of unchecked sexual harassment became public, isn’t groundbreaking.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With tensions running high between the mass media and political actors, one question remains highly contested: Should media outlets give equal time to all sides of a story?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s hard to have a conversation with those that have opposing views. Here’s how you can fix that.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Struggling to find the perfect political commentary? Piker has your daily dose of news and politics while serving up looks you can’t resist.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The new Higher Education Access and Success for Homeless and Foster Youth Act, if passed, marks a significant step toward leveling the educational playing field for disadvantaged students.

By

Responsive image
College /// Culture /// News & Politics x

UW-Madison student activist Katherine Kerwin has a bone to pick with pro-gun legislation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Is Trump going too far to repeal and replace reforms under Obama’s administration? Or is he trying to make his own legacy as an American President?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Every time the words “mass murder” are spoken, the plight and genocide of millions of Native Americans continue to be forgotten.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Men who are willing to speak up can help the fight against sexual harassment.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

This decision will impact American politics, regardless of the outcome.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

What are the repercussions when schools cancel honors classes?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Bump stocks are more crucial to this debate than you may think.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

American society runs on democracy and it’s important; but as a college student, are you using your democratic rights?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

A look into Ta-Nehisi Coates’ article, “The Case for Reparations” and why reparations should be in the minds of all Americans.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The nuances of mental health can be hard to nail in fiction, but these novels do it perfectly.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

As the first Korean drama to be remade for American television, the show proves that a series can be bigger than its entertainment value.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As you might imagine, the debate is about much more than language.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Sometimes, health has nothing to do with whether you should get help.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

With tracking devices, helmet cams and improved camera mobility, bungled calls may soon be a thing of the past.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Preparation is the key to survival when a tragic moment occurs at a music event.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Creator of ‘Hamilton’ Lin-Manuel Miranda has put together a massive effort to rally Puerto Rican celebrities and send aid to the devastated island.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Identifying terrorism by its correct name is the first step in combatting the crime itself.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Puerto Rico is suffering from a severe hurricane that hit weeks ago, though President Trump’s delayed response suggests otherwise.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Seventeen older adults commit suicide every day for one hidden reason: The ignorance towards elders with mental illnesses.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The revisions of Title IX by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos leave many campuses anxious about the future of sexual assault.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With insurance costs on the rise, it’s time to bring universal health coverage into the ongoing conversation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

President Donald Trump and the “Big Six” are already hitting some major tax reform roadblocks.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Of all the industries that Amazon has eaten, grocery shopping may prove the toughest to swallow.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Sean Spicer’s appearance at the Emmys has deeper implications than its face value.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

What Zadie Smith’s ‘White Teeth’ can teach us about tolerance and terrorism.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Under the recently passed Forever GI Bill, combat veterans will receive expanded access to higher education, which benefits them and the country they served.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

After war erupted as Yemeni native Nada Al-Thawr was leaving her country, the Mount Holyoke student has begun an aggressive campaign to bring her country’s plight to the attention of anyone who will listen.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Going forward, schools need to better execute sexual harassment investigations as well as investigate as independently and thoroughly as possible.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Of all the topics Trump could have discussed on social media, he chose to focus on athletes who refused to stand for the American flag.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If it’s still hard for you to wrap your head around last year’s election, Clinton’s personal account may help you come to terms.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

You gotta understand, bro, that going commando will make you feel in command, yo!

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

How to have faith in the democratic process.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The debate over which organizations are trustworthy and why we need to lend a helping hand.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Racial issues can’t be solved if people don’t understand them.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Hurricane situations can be scary, but also a bit odd.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Reversing DACA means exposing 800,000 young people to deportation, and the president himself may not fully understand the extent of his act

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

In their decision to directly reflect reality, creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk have broached any entirely new level of terror.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The latest entry in Sega’s classic franchise handed development over to the fans, and the results are convincing.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

After a years-long sabbatical, battle-rap legend Aaron Solomon has returned to the scene to prove that he’s still one of the greatest to ever spit.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Seeing is believing for many red staters, and the massive storm(s) might have finally knocked some sense into head-burying climate deniers.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As a student majoring in Journalism but brought up in the digital age, I’m in a unique position to assess the two mediums honestly.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Racial tensions in America are at their highest, but reading stories of marginalized people is one step toward education and rehabilitation of a nation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

From 1D fan to CEO, Nishiki Maredia, alongside co-founder Angela Jin, created the 1950 Collective, which has already netted over $300,000 in revenue.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With Donald Trump’s ultimatum to Congress, the program that was designed to protect the children of undocumented immigrants could be completely phased out by 2020.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Politically active athletes have a long line of history of not remaining silent, and Colin Kaepernick is no exception.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Lani Sarem’s YA fantasy novel ‘Handbook for Mortals’ enjoyed a short few hours as a NYT #1 Bestseller before accusations of foul play emerged.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The anarchist movement has been heavily criticized as their tactics are hypocritical and could be used to the advantage of Republicans.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

One side wants to murder everyone; the other wants to stop them.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

How Trump carefully crafted his public image from businessman to leader of the free world, and turned it into a nationally recognizable brand.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Understanding the history of Confederacy monuments as well as legal roadblocks in their removal is essential, no matter where you fall on the issue.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

As DeVos and the Trump administration reexamine the threshold of evidence needed to prove sexual assault, their critics point to the statistics surrounding false allegations.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As Senate Bill 4 comes into law, its similarities to another infamously racist piece of legislation are hard to ignore. Will it meet the same fate as the 1850 ‘Bloodhound Law’?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After every other host city dropped out, the IOC just narrowly avoided having to cancel the Olympics.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Now that several media companies have plans to launch their own streaming services, cable is beginning to look a lot more attractive.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

These books won’t tell you how to be a reporter, but they’ll show you how good journalism can change, or expose, social and political cultures.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sponsored x

Trump’s executive orders have covered policies in national security, infrastructure, healthcare, and trade, so it makes sense that up next on the chopping block is fiscal policy.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

With the arrival of the web retailer’s on-campus locations, the company is taking another giant step in disrupting traditional commerce.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

After five long years trapped by contract to an abusive music producer, Kesha returns with an album full of humility, love and integrity.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Does the show live up to the hype of previous Marvel Netflix series?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Two days after visiting Holocaust sites in Europe, I couldn’t help but worry as I followed the breaking news about the Charlottesville protests.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The internet isn’t trying to steal your boyfriend.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

By sending fifteen new songs to Adult Swim, legendary underground rapper MF DOOM has ended his three-year musical hiatus.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The indie production company made famous by ‘Moonlight’ has become a safe haven for cutting-edge flicks and new-age marketing.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Despite overwhelming statistical evidence to the contrary, society still treats rape allegations with skepticism. Why?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Physically following someone has become unnecessary.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

If you’re a young feminist and you want to have the literary knowledge to back it up, these are the books for you.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Based on the 1954 teleplay ‘Twelve Angry Men,’ the feminist reinterpretation asks critical questions about how much race and gender relations have really changed in the last half-century.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The influential, spiritual and ultimately suicidal founder of Pro Era will have an album of his unfinished work posthumously released on the five-year anniversary of his death, an event that remains shrouded in mystery to this day.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s all fun and games until Trump goes too far.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The rift between comedians and their audiences is nothing new, but the internet is.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As awareness of gender identity and its many forms becomes more mainstream, gender-neutral names are becoming more common, a trend that could potentially save millions of lives.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

Reyanne Mustafa and her parter, Kristian Krugman, turn unused food into protein bars, helping to alleviate hunger and change others’ perceptions of what food waste looks (and tastes) like.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

As an intern for the Blue Ridge Parkway, a national park that spans North Carolina and Virginia, the rising junior helps visitors appreciate the rich history of Appalachia.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

In attacking their school’s exercise initiative, the editors of UCLA’s student newspaper unintentionally demonstrate the problems of oversensitivity.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Given how critical music is to media, the real question is what took so long?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Last month at Comic-Con, the cable channel revealed the first footage of the soon-to-be-revived ‘Hey Arnold’ and ‘Rocko’s Modern Life,’ and ’90s kids couldn’t be happier.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A guide to this summer’s rare celestial event, including what it is, when it is, how to safely view it and where to go for the full eclipse experience.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The hot new health fad, which calls for abstaining from food for long periods and then gorging yourself briefly, is almost brutal in its simplicity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The MassArt student and founder of the Green Arts Network brings Boston-area artists together to spur conservation-oriented change.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

When Peter Frates, the former Boston College baseball player who popularized the challenge, filmed himself being doused in ice water, he had no idea the impact the video would have.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The recent death of Kyara is just the latest reminder that though orcas die at an alarming rate in captivity, SeaWorld has refused to free its remaining twenty-two whales.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

If you follow these five tips, your Turkey Day celebration will leave you, the bird and your wallet all stuffed beyond recognition.

Culture x

Is dating in college doable or is it a distraction?

Responsive image
College /// Culture x

College students have an opportunity to put down their hefty novels and pick up picture books to read to preschoolers through Jumpstart.

Responsive image
Culture x

Amazon’s e-book reading program lets Kindle readers browse over a million titles for only $9.99/month, but is the service right for you?

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

You may be sore afterwards, but the endurance boost from these sports will be worth the pain.

Responsive image

Selena Gomez was just named Billboard’s 2017 Woman of the Year, but who is actually surprised?

Responsive Image

You can prevent animals’ mistreatment and wear clothes ethically with these suggestions.

Responsive Image

Your day could be a lot different without the thirty-minute snooze at mid-day.

Responsive Image

What do you get when you take a nerdy, Harvard-educated musician and try to put him in the public eye as a rockstar? Pacific Daydream.

Responsive Image

The last thing you need is to be stressed while planning to travel, so here are sixteen tips and tricks to make your preparation seem effortless.

Responsive Image

No one did it like Keith Haring, and no one’s doing it like Tatyana Fazlalizade.

Responsive Image

Next time you’re taking a study break, check out these interesting TV shows.

Responsive Image

From Demodogs to brand new bromances, season two of “Stranger Things” has got it all.

Responsive Image

How the Danish concept of ‘hygge’ can help college students survive the winter.

Responsive Image

Planning holiday gifts for your friends can be hard when you’re a broke college student, so here’s some DIY gifts instead.

Responsive Image

NaNoWriMo has arrived and that means writers everywhere are gearing up for the month-long writing marathon.

Responsive Image

It’s not pretty.

Responsive Image

Four books that should be on high school reading lists.

Responsive Image

Have you ever wondered why some things are best expressed in song?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

When the show you love is no longer the show you fell in love with.

Responsive Image

As unpopular as some of her actions may have been over the years, there’s a lot to learn from Miley Cyrus.

Responsive Image

Because who doesn’t want to take a trip to a dystopian future where teenagers are forced to fight to the death? May the odds be ever in your favor.

Responsive Image

A Canadian poet with a massive Instagram following published his first book, “Love Her Wild.”

Responsive Image

With plenty of jams to spare, music is the only positive thing  that 2017 has going for it.

Responsive Image

These four songs showcase collaborations between successful electronic artists and rappers that perfectly combine the strengths of the two genres.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Memes, jokes and many other seemingly harmless actions we engage in may have turned into a form of bullying without us knowing.

Responsive Image

Five ways to commit to the writing challenge amid classes and approaching finals.

Responsive Image

NaNoWriMo is a month of deadlines and challenges.

Responsive Image

Keep up with the bold, the classic and the ever-changing trends of fall.

Responsive Image

These artists are redefining queer music.

Responsive Image

Why young women should not be afraid of being tough and having a strong personality.

Responsive Image

A malevolent clown, a depraved bastard and a troubled boy: Are one of these actors sinister enough to channel the Clown Prince of Crime?

Responsive Image

We all strive to have the healthiest looking hair, and these products make it possible.

Responsive Image

Being aware of what you post on social media can make or break your chances of finding a job in the future.

Responsive Image

Goddess parties are the new functions in which women’s empowerment is celebrated.

Responsive Image

With sexual violence crimes continuing to rise across the nation, we need to do something to prevent the tragedies striking today’s young women.

Responsive Image

There’s black music worth listening to that happened waaay before Childish Gambino.

Responsive Image

Watching movies and television in a projected format can boost your entertainment experience.

Responsive Image

These costumes are guaranteed to make you and your squad the life of the party.

Responsive Image

From Treat Yo’ Self Day to Lil’ Sebastian, “Parks and Recreation” is the heartwarmingly funny show that rises above the rest.

Responsive Image

Marshall’s third full-length release shows another young, once-in-a-generation talent for production, songwriting and artistry.

Responsive Image

With all the recent hype of King’s work being adapted into film and television, it’s time to take a look at some of his not-so-scary work.

Responsive Image

Is censorship in the wake of the Las Vegas shooting helping?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Does horror send you running for the hills? These classic flicks provide Halloween fun without the scare.

Responsive Image

“Riverdale,” currently one of the hottest TV shows among young adults, depicts a surprising amount of social issues typically not characteristic of teen dramas. Warning: Spoilers ahead!

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

The Nobel Prize and the history of modern literature.

Responsive Image

Find out why people are positively buzzin’ about tattoos. 

Responsive Image

Because not all Halloween movies have to be scary.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Jump onboard if you are tired of heart-wrenching ballads.

Responsive Image

Any avid observers of Halloween know you can’t just play “The Monster Mash” on repeat for all of October. Here are some songs to revamp your Halloween playlist, some of which with spookiness you may have never picked up on before.

Responsive Image

Warning: You may develop an addiction to this tea.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Did your favorite half-man half-asshole make the list?

Responsive Image

America, don’t repeat the past by ignoring the Columbus debate in the present.

Responsive Image

Annie Clark, indie-rocker extraordinaire, has returned with a new album, a new haircut and a new persona: dominatrix at the mental institution.

Responsive Image

The idea of a women ejaculating is very real!

Responsive Image

It might seem like a fun game, but what does it really mean when we turn a real person into an exaggerated character?

Responsive Image

The world needs more poetry by unapologetically powerful women.

Responsive Image

Many millennials are on Tinder nowadays, whether to land a date or make a friend. Coming off as authentic is crucial and can be done easily.

Responsive Image

With the current negative police climate in our country, America needs help forming stronger relationships between law enforcement and their communities, but how?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Hollywood shows a lot of women who can throw a punch, but few have any agency.

Responsive Image

They won’t make the drive any better, but they’ll make it a lot more bearable.

Responsive Image

Can it be…both?

Responsive Image

Netflix may have taken away ‘OTH’, but they will never take away how the show had captured the hearts of fans.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

From the diverse cast to weekly moral lessons, it’s so much more than just a television show.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

You know, to prevent breaking your thumb scrolling through your library in search of a specific song and whatnot.

Responsive Image

Espresso yourself.

Responsive Image

Men seem to miss the benefits they stand to gain from gender equality.

Responsive Image

Spoiler alert: Everyone gets a happy ending.

Responsive Image

How the ever changing genre of true crime helps society.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

While navigating the complex world of online television, consider putting these shows on your map.

Responsive Image

The Dutchess has returned at last and, with some bumps in the road, has created work that’s worth a listen.

Responsive Image

The impact of seasonal affective disorder is real: What can be done about it?

Responsive Image

Don’t worry, your time will come.

Responsive Image

Eating is so much more than a required daily activity.

Responsive Image

Keep your cool and try not to break a sweat this fall with these simple wardrobe changes.

Responsive Image

Spoiler alert: Slut-shaming and white feminism are NOT on this list.

Responsive Image

The emergence of multicultural Greek life has proved to be a haven for students of color.

Responsive Image

Something that may help you overcome the horror of the movie “IT.”

Responsive Image

These are the four rappers who are commonly called out as corny and why people perceive them as so.

Responsive Image

The NBC show continues to emotionally connect with its large audience through expert, authentic storytelling in its second season.

Responsive Image

Could these cult classics grace the big screen once again?

Responsive Image

How can a band with such a spotty track record hold our attention for thirteen years?

Responsive Image

These it-girls have taken over the world of fashion so far in 2017.

Responsive Image

On October 17, the new NBA season kicks off. After all of the off-season drama and blockbuster moves, the question remains: Can anyone stop Golden State?

Responsive Image

The latest trend in viewing TV can have both positive and negative affects on you, your studies and your health.

Responsive Image

The pros and cons of purchasing your caffeine fix from various coffee shops.

Responsive Image

After the recent release of Destin Daniel Cretton’s film adaptation, viewers and Jeannette Walls fans are struggling to evaluate how the movie compares to the memoir.

Responsive Image

The show that used music as a dialogue.

Responsive Image

After a forty-year dormancy, vinyl has reemerged as an interest for many millennials, and it’s never too late to hop on the bandwagon yourself.

Responsive Image

Here are some big dogs that redefine what it means to be ‘man’s best friend’.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

2017 has been a great year for skateboarding, and it’s time to count down the top five videos from this year so far.

Responsive Image

Making friends can almost be as intimidating as dating, so why not take a chance on nonromantic relationships by swiping right?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

If you have time between classes and are in the mood for something life-changing, give one of these videos a try.

Responsive Image

The new game’s set up knocks the old one down.

Responsive Image

A review of the book and why after eighteen years it’s still a relevant read.

Responsive Image

If you’re ever feeling super tired and can’t seem to find a cure, then give essential oils a chance.