Culture

Responsive image
Sounds x

The new song is another hit from the young artist, who continues to find inspiration from music legends like Lorde and Taylor Swift.

Sounds x

In the second Japanese single from the renowned boy band, they tell the story of how hard it can be to let go of the past and look toward the future.

Responsive image
Sounds x

Lil Nas X’s latest single and music video have created controversy across social media platforms for its occult and queer overtones.

Responsive image
Pages /// Sounds x

Perfect for any lover of the written word, these shows will give you some insights into the writing, reading and publishing that goes on in the literary world.

Responsive image
Responsive image

The American rapper should not be remembered as a troubled musician, but rather as a man that has taught the world how important it is to be vulnerable.

Responsive image

In his newest hit single, Lil Nas X reignites both satanic panic and the fear of Black rock, while many are questioning why the video is just so controversial in the first place.

Responsive image

After a series of delays and controversial nominations, ‘music’s biggest night’ went on, with big wins for industry staples and newcomers alike.

Responsive image

The friendly nature and casual language of the late chef’s 2000 memoir allows it to be a book that can be loved and enjoyed by all.

Responsive Image

The Blackpink singer has conquered the world alongside her fellow girl-group members. Now she is ready to shine on her own and pay homage to her past.

Responsive Image

The main characters in Jennifer Donnelly’s novel will find a way into readers’ hearts while reminding them that while the world will go on stupid and brutal, they do not.

Responsive Image

More and more Asian musicians have been able to break into mainstream Western media, and a mass media company is one of the factors that has encouraged this success.

Responsive Image

In her debut romance novel, Kate Stayman-London uses a reality show to explore how the media portrays plus-size women.

Responsive Image

Mikki Kendall’s essay collection argues that since its inception, the feminist movement has benefited white women, while leaving behind women of color, cis-gender women, trans women and disabled women.

Responsive Image

After years of dealing with insecurity and ridicule for her heritage, the singer is embracing her roots with her new Spanish-language EP.

Responsive Image

From the first word of your poems to sending them in for publication, here are a few tips for new and old writers alike.

Responsive Image

The American singer-songwriter’s honest and intimate music is exactly what indie-folk rock needs, even if the Grammys failed to recognize this.

Responsive Image

With her genuine writing and diverse, complex characters, this popular novelist is leaving romance readers excited for more.

Responsive Image

In a twist on the isekai anime genre, the devil is transported from an alternate world into modern-day Japan and must make a living as a fast-food employee.

Responsive Image

There are a lot of options when it comes to jamming out to your favorite songs.

Responsive Image

Taking a step back from the high energy, girl crush music of Blackpink, the group’s main vocalist reflects on life and love with her debut single album, ‘R.’

Responsive Image

Ella Jane’s latest single is a reflection of her talent and cements her as an artist to watch out for in 2021.

Responsive Image

The hit reality TV series follows the staff of Lisa Vanderpump’s LA Restaurant, Sur, as they indulge in alcohol and adultery, all while waiting tables.

Responsive Image

Both earbuds and headphones can cause damage to your ears if you regularly listen to them for long periods of time.

Responsive Image

Selena Gomez’s hit song and music video explore the healing process and personal growth that comes with recovery from a broken heart.

Responsive Image

The anime presents a diverse array of characters, each with a distinct motivation for their shared quest to attain the wish-granting Holy Grail.

Responsive Image

The K-pop group presents an image that breaks away from traditional gender norms and propels us into a new era of self-love and acceptance.

Responsive Image

Jude Ellison Sady Doyle explores the collision of voyeurism and misogyny that causes us to relish the fall of famous women.

Responsive Image

Darcie Little Badger’s young adult debut is a charming story of magical realism featuring Lipan Apache representation and a murder mystery waiting to be solved.

Responsive Image

The Australian singer-songwriter exemplifies the evolution of the pop genre while taking note from pop stars of the past.

Responsive Image

Dr. Cole’s dieting book has received celebrity praise, but it’s facing public backlash for spreading harmful misinformation.

Responsive Image

Will the hip-hop artist ever be able to recover from the backlash he has received for over a decade, or is he past his prime?

Responsive Image

The Brooklyn rapper was just released from prison and will be in the public eye for the first time since his arrest in 2014.

Responsive Image

Whether you’re going through a breakup or have a bad case of unrequited love, this artist’s music will always have your back.

Responsive Image

Then-futuristic books and films have featured tools like FaceTime, credit cards, 3D printers and more before they became part of everyday society.

Responsive Image

On her second solo album, the Paramore frontwoman switches genres as she paints a picture of a love lost and a hopeful look to the future.

Responsive Image

Known for his deep voice and witty gaming commentary, the faceless content creator has seen a recent growth in his views from his Among Us livestreams.

Responsive Image

With his third studio album, the former One Direction member sets out to express his innermost thoughts through soft R&B melodies and melancholic lyrics.

Responsive Image

From Latin pop to house to rock ballads, the singer and her first full-length album refuse to be put in a box.

Responsive Image

In her re-recordings of several songs from earlier in her career, Taylor Swift reclaims her songs while professing her admiration for her fans.

Responsive Image

The genre has met resounding success outside of Asia, and translated texts continue to become increasingly popular and accessible.

Responsive Image

The Australian singer-songwriter’s debut movie left many with a sour taste in their mouths due to the inhumane treatment of its neuroatypical main character.

Responsive Image

From battling toxic masculinity to teaching about the power of Pinterest, Lisa Kay Adams strives to critique gender norms and the limits of the romance genre.

Responsive Image

While hip-hop and rap have become a phenomenon in China, these artists have abandoned both the genre’s Black roots and its emphasis on authenticity.

Responsive Image

The New York Times documentary boldly exposes the dark underbelly of Hollywood stardom, showing how tabloid culture exploited, harassed and vilified a young popstar — and how the people around her failed to protect her.

Responsive Image

In the final installment of the romantic-comedy movie series, Lara Jean Covey’s optimistic spirit is refreshing for those who are unlucky in love.

Responsive Image

George Saunders’ book provides a guiding framework to aspiring writers by giving new life to classic Russian tales.

Responsive Image

Check out these novels before their film versions hit the theaters and streaming services.

Responsive Image

Nina Karnikowski’s upcoming book offers advice on how to explore the world in a more sustainable way.

Responsive Image

Take a glimpse at the accomplishments of this talented young woman who overcame a speech disorder and went on to shape the future for creative writers.

Responsive Image

What can Netflix’s one season runway competition, led by Alexa Chung and Tan France, teach us about imperfection, artisanship and representation?

Responsive Image

Jolin Tsai’s hit 2018 song and music video explore her personal struggles as an artist by diving into a study of one’s identity.

Responsive Image

Alexandria Bellefleur’s new novel is the perfect piece for readers who are looking for a cozy and sweet romance to spend their Friday night cuddled up on the couch with.

Responsive Image

The art of constructing a language adds an extra dimension to world-building and allows deeper immersion into books, films and games.

Responsive Image

In the multifaceted artist’s new song, ‘Don’t Judge Me,’ she transforms her knowledge of oppression into something truly restorative for all audiences.

Responsive Image

The latest trend within Instagram’s literary community has only increased in popularity, but it may risk alienating readers through its promotion of consumerism.

Responsive Image

GOT7’s Mark Tuan and Sanjoy team up for the song ‘One In a Million,’ a smooth R&B love song perfect for Valentine’s Day weekend.

Responsive Image

More than two months after being snubbed by the Grammys, the Canadian recording artist gave a high-energy halftime performance of his massive collection of hits.

Responsive Image

The electro-pop trailblazer, who died at the age of 34 on Jan. 30, redefined her industry by challenging traditional concepts of gender, identity and sound.

Responsive Image

Jolin Tsai’s feature in this Taiwanese pop hit encourages listeners to break conventions and appreciate one’s individuality.

Responsive Image

It’s on social media and in fan fiction: Many fans of the boy band like to speculate that Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles are in a secret romantic relationship. Is it just fun, or is it fetishization?

Responsive Image

Curating music allows people to preserve moments in time, capture specific moods and pass experiences onto other listeners through songs.

Responsive Image

The photographer, writer and online boutique owner defies conventions while prioritizing her business.

Responsive Image

In the streaming era, vinyl still offers something unique for the music listening experience. But they require good care and upkeep.

Responsive Image

With plenty of highly anticipated releases and online concerts slated for this year, here are the female artists to keep an ear out for.

Responsive Image

Getting into a new superhero may seem daunting, but these Spider-Man, Superman, Batman and crossover series can help you do just that.

Responsive Image

The romance genre has mostly been composed of female writers who cater to women. But today I’m here to recommend a novel by a male writer that is catered to … well, everyone.

Responsive Image

They aren’t only for those who have lived their whole lives. Start yours now.

Responsive Image

The hit Netflix series evokes contemporary gender inequality by looking at the dramatic day-to-day existence in 1813 high-society London.

Responsive Image

Overlooked and neglected by their record label, the seven members of the K-pop boy group are now striking out on their own — as a team.

Responsive Image

Keep an eye out for these six releases that feature bisexual and lesbian representation.

Responsive Image

Netflix’s new hit series features a complex main character with awe-inspiring intellect, as well as a fast-paced plot.

Responsive Image

The Hawaiian influencer released her new cookbook, which promotes eating more fruits and vegetables to alleviate what ails you.

Responsive Image

The renowned success of the track provides another example of the public’s obsession with the real-life romantic drama behind many popular songs.

Responsive Image

Don’t look for the usual cliches here. This series is about humans fighting gods in a one-on-one tournament, and the fate of humanity is at stake.

Responsive Image

They are usually the punchline of Hogwarts, but here’s why they are actually amazing.

Responsive Image

Make the best of your time in isolation by learning a new language.

Responsive Image

Inspired by Ross Gay’s book of essays, I reflect on the beauty and uncertainty of the future.

Responsive Image

The podcast is a must-listen that will leave you educated, empowered and connected to those around you.

Responsive Image

The Netflix special takes a look at the emotions behind the singer’s Sweetener world tour.

Responsive Image

The pop singer has a past full of rushed and rocky relationships. Is her new one moving too fast, or is happiness more important?

Responsive Image

The classical literature aesthetic is far too Eurocentric and lacks diversity. So how can we change that?

Responsive Image

These four artists have left their mark on the music industry, and will live on in the hearts of fans even after they’re long gone.

Responsive Image

The premise of Lucy Foley’s latest thriller novel is pretty similar to Agatha Christie’s most famous mystery book.

Responsive Image

As you look for safe ways to spend time with your household or pod, this set of books may be just what you are looking for.

Responsive Image

Even without frightening visuals, this horror podcast immerses you into an unforgettable story.

Responsive Image

An episode of Netflix’s ‘Song Exploder’ offers insight into the process of creating the record.

Responsive Image

As readers await the release of ‘A Court of Silver Flames,’ it’s a good time to revisit the series’  unbelievably intricate worldbuilding, strong women and realistic character development.

Responsive Image

Multitracks are a great way to keep your musical spirits up during the pandemic. Here’s a basic guide to creating one.

Responsive Image

As 2021 gets started, it is important to take a moment to reflect on some of last year’s biggest cultural moments.

Responsive Image

Listening to gentle tunes during quarantine may provide consolation to those in need of comfort. Here are some artists to get you started.

Responsive Image

If we want the genre to continue to make an impact and have a stable future, we cannot depend on music that is made to go viral on the video-sharing app.

Responsive Image

The poet’s most recent collection shows how she breaches the norms of traditional poetry. She truly is a poet for the modern age.

Responsive Image

In Patrick Radden Keefe’s book, a reporter dives deep into the murky depths of the history of Northern Ireland’s 30-year conflict.

Responsive Image

Wall Street Journal writer Joseph Epstein’s recent opinion piece was incredibly flawed and misogynistic.

Responsive Image

In recent years, the platform has seemingly chosen to reward books with a lot of hype instead of judging solely by quality.

Responsive Image

Drift off while listening to the spookiest channel on Spotify.

Responsive Image

Taylor Swift surprised fans with a second 2020 album, but is this one as good as her previous release?

Responsive Image

The effects of COVID-19 can be heard in the somber themes of Taylor Swift’s newest album.

Responsive Image

The annual challenge allows users to set reading goals for themselves. However, does it pressure us, or actually motivate us to read?

Responsive Image

Although many of them are overused in present-day media, fiction can still be original and teach powerful lessons.

Responsive Image

To expand your horizons, try thinking of an area of the world you haven’t explored and dive into its sounds.

Responsive Image

In their latest release, Spillage Village uses religious motifs to address racism, police brutality, the pandemic and other prominent issues from 2020.

Responsive Image

This retelling of a classic tale follows two sapphic women who are determined to overthrow a dystopian patriarchal society.

Responsive Image

This relatable podcast is the perfect listen for young adults searching for a bit of peer guidance and support.

Responsive Image

Laying rumors of retirement to rest, the artist has conjured up an album filled with diverse musical styles and songs of heartbreak.

Responsive Image

Beyond just using the format to have their books read aloud, some writers are starting to use the medium to narrate their work in new, innovative ways.

Responsive Image

The whole world has been forced to slow down and become isolated, which is why many people have turned to poetic literature to cope.

Responsive Image

With a mix of neo-soul, jazz fusion, hip-hop and pop, the rich, deep-set tones of a new genre are infiltrating popular culture.

Responsive Image

Wearing silver pants and a long elfish beard in ‘Holiday,’ the singer gives Christmas a futuristic take. What does it mean to see him in hip-hop as he redefines musical and cultural boundaries?

Responsive Image

This revolutionary graphic memoir explores the author’s cathartic journey to identifying as nonbinary and asexual.