Culture

Responsive image
Pages x

The poet and photographer has grown since the publication of her last book.

Pages /// Screens x

While this common trope in media may be idealistic, it causes problems by creating unrealistic models of men.

Responsive image
Sounds x

These musicians sound a little different from their K-pop counterparts, but the music is just as good.

Responsive image
Sounds x

Based on League of Legends characters, this collection of (computerized) singers has become a worldwide sensation.

Responsive image
Responsive image

These works confront America’s deeply racist history and present, and at the same time, explore healing, accompanied by bursts of joy, light and love.

Responsive image

The movie, based on the book of the same name, falls short of the unsettling themes its predecessor succeeds at. Its failure results in a film that doesn’t know what it is.

Responsive image

While some critics have dismissed the artist’s latest album, a look at the lyrics paints a portrait of a singer who has found some measure of peace after a period of chaos.

Responsive image

The singer’s cover of Blondie’s hit song has the public wondering where she has been hiding her edge all her life. She’s always been a rockstar though, as seen by her deep history with the genre.

Responsive Image

Some want us to separate the art from the artist, but that doesn’t remove the sexism, misogyny, toxicity and depraved messages about love, sex, drugs and women present in his work.

Responsive Image

One half of the brother-sister duo AKMU, the musician is spreading a message of positivity with her debut single.

Responsive Image

Take a book, leave a book. These book exchanges allow for both self-enlightenment and an interconnected community, all while showing that following your passions can lead to real change.

Responsive Image

Her sophomore album defined a generation. Now fans are anxiously waiting for more of her reassuring lyrics.

Responsive Image

A brand new production company is putting out positive narratives of people during COVID-19. ‘It’s not supposed to be the Oscar winner of the year, it’s just meant to be something that speaks to people right now.’ — co-creator Adam Faze

Responsive Image

The Netflix show is based on ‘The Turn of the Screw’ and other stories by Henry James. Here are the similarities and differences.

Responsive Image

The latest book from Joshua Whitehead is a deeply moving novel about what home means to a queer Native American kid who is struggling with his identity.

Responsive Image

More well-known for her young adult work, V.E. Schwab has penned a novel about a protagonist who has acquired immortality — but at an incredible cost.

Responsive Image

Starting off as a SoundCloud artist, the musician blends languages and genres to create a unique sound that’s also deeply personal.

Responsive Image

The singer and her fashion choices have always faced criticism, but now the internet is objectifying her body.

Responsive Image

With the recent discovery of possible life on Earth’s twin, here are some sci-fi books about life on the planet.

Responsive Image

The author is making a name for herself with popular horror novels that feature underrepresented sapphic characters.

Responsive Image

The stage might be closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but there are many diverse movies you can watch to fill the time.

Responsive Image

With the release of his latest album, a reminder of the singer-songwriter’s internet history may be one his greatest marketing tactics.

Responsive Image

The poet’s forthcoming book is a collection of poetry that embraces change — a topic that is well-needed during these chaotic times.

Responsive Image

Set in an unfortunate future, this novel tells of war, family and the need to find something to believe in.

Responsive Image

The R&B icon’s memoir is a story chronicled by a woman who has known brokenness and imprisonment, but has found her light at the end of the tunnel.

Responsive Image

Not everyone can handle hardcore horror, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some creepy fall reads. If you’re a scaredy-cat, like me, this list is for you.

Responsive Image

J. K. Rowling’s beloved book series has warmed readers’ hearts for decades. What makes them better than their film counterparts?

Responsive Image

This special time highlights the power of language to challenge our social, political and cultural assumptions.

Responsive Image

The backlash to Cardi B and Meg Thee Stallion’s hit song is incredibly hypocritical, and ignores the track’s empowering message.

Responsive Image

Briahna Joy Gray, former national press secretary for Bernie Sanders, and Virgil Texas of the “Chapo Trap House” podcast mix humor and insight to deconstruct mainstream politics and the corporate-owned media.

Responsive Image

This self-help book from Nina Karnikowski will open your mind to the possibilities that arise from deciding to chase your dreams.

Responsive Image

Starting off with a small channel on YouTube, these sisters have tasted musical success while remaining true to both their family and audience.

Responsive Image

The Japanese Australian musician dropped a beautiful album that solidifies his career as an artist. However, some of the tracks sound superficial compared to the album’s overall message.

Responsive Image

Amanda Montell’s 2019 book examines how adjusting the words that we use can alter how gender and sexuality are considered in today’s society — for the better.

Responsive Image

Most readers already know the story, so how does exploring the tale from the perspective of the iconic vampire bring something new to the beloved series?

Responsive Image

Despite several decades separating the heights of their popularity, both the rapper and the English singer-songwriter share an unwavering independent spirit.

Responsive Image

You might not know it, but famous DJs like Calvin Harris and Skrillex have been making new music under different names.

Responsive Image

The 23-year-old musician’s new album explores the experience of healing, and the role music plays in that process.

Responsive Image

Every new semester merits a new playlist. These five tracks are the staples of mine.

Responsive Image

While K-pop remains Korea’s most popular musical export, this indie rock band is forging the way for a few other styles of music to emerge from the country.

Responsive Image

The Scandanavian bedroom pop artist blew away fans with her 2018 release ‘i wanna be your girlfriend.’ Now popping up all over TikTok, she’s poised to dominate.

Responsive Image

While the lyrics and sonic presence of his latest remix album, ‘Crush: The Remixes,’ speak to the LGBT+ experience, you don’t have to be queer to enjoy the music.

Responsive Image

The Scottish pop singer is using her extra time during the pandemic to create new versions of her old music, as well as compose entirely new pieces — with a twist.

Responsive Image

As the late rapper moved forward in his career, he evolved musically as well as emotionally, becoming more introspective as he battled with his inner demons.

Responsive Image

The artist’s latest release, ‘I’m Allergic to Dogs,’ is a joyous EP that injects excitement into a year full of setbacks.

Responsive Image

Even after five decades, the legendary album continues to astound, comfort and enthrall fans of the band the world over.

Responsive Image

Helen Hoang’s novel paints a rich portrait of an autistic heroine, captivating readers by avoiding one-dimensional stereotypes that have long persisted in media.

Responsive Image

The genre provides the perfect mix of escapism and grounding insight when ‘normal’ feels far off.

Responsive Image

This amazing feat in storytelling and artistic vision delves into areas often left unexplored by graphic novels and horror.

Responsive Image

Paper lovers have turned to the video-sharing app to forge their own peaceful corner on a platform full of chaos.

Responsive Image

If you find yourself short on room, here are some ways to organize your literature collection without shelling out more money for extra bookcases.

Responsive Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is likely the most famous composer ever, but did you know he had an older sister who was just as talented as he was?

Responsive Image

The ever-popular series uses incredible world-building to offer a critique of those that invoke a higher power to justify their influence.

Responsive Image

You may run into unexpected challenges when starting your own podcast. Here’s some advice so you don’t run into the same problems I did.

Responsive Image

Even at 79 years old, the singer’s poetic lyrics and modern ideologies are still resonating with younger generations.

Responsive Image

The two women have turned the tables on a music genre that’s usually dominated by men.

Responsive Image

The 20-year-long music project, which tackles heavy topics like memory loss, has attracted a unique and melancholic following online.

Responsive Image

The 2015 hip-hop concept album has a renewed importance because of its social and political commentary on racial inequality, institutional discrimination and African American culture.

Responsive Image

In her 2019 book, the comedian beautifully articulates a fascination with the ordinary, which just might be the key to true happiness, especially during the pandemic.

Responsive Image

Katy Perry’s latest release is an optimistic album about overcoming adversity, a message that many people need to hear right now.

Responsive Image

The singer-songwriter is painting a complex picture of the United States in his soon to be released album, ‘The Ascension.’

Responsive Image

Few authors captured the human experience, particularly the Black experience, with as much nuance as her.

Responsive Image

This digital comic blends manga influences with Disney-inspired artwork to create a compelling tale of romance by the sea.

Responsive Image

Lifestyle creators used to be notoriously family-friendly. How did LaurDIY break out of her PG persona in her new podcast?

Responsive Image

The Barcelona singer spent her childhood learning music long associated with revolution. Now, Rosalía is revolutionizing the music industry herself.

Responsive Image

The pandemic isn’t over, and music fans are getting antsy. Do these concerts scratch the itch, and are they COVID-safe?

Responsive Image

Kacen Callender’s young adult novel features a queer trans person of color amid friendships, love and a heartwarming journey of self-acceptance.

Responsive Image

Because of her youthful spirit, Siwa is an inspiration to young kids, but people are quick to criticize the superstar for her over-the-top style.

Responsive Image

The new podcast is helping people learn how to deal with their fear of watching horror movies.

Responsive Image

The genre can be fickle with its trends. However, this series seems to have the hang of these new fads with its fresh take on old tropes.

Responsive Image

Beyoncé’s latest release is a celebration of Black beauty to empower Black women. The project unites African music and cultures in a visual masterpiece.

Responsive Image

Activists, influencers and celebrities are opening up to Jamil about body image, mental health and many other important issues.

Responsive Image

The stars of ‘The L Word’ have started a quarantine podcast that embodies what it means to survive a pandemic alongside the wit of your best friend.

Responsive Image

Learn the first stages of becoming a podcaster from an amateur who has already made mistakes, so you don’t have to!

Responsive Image

The author’s second novel, which follows a grandmother and granddaughter, puts family and community at the forefront but lacks balance in its storytelling.

Responsive Image

HBO’s show offers a crystal clear picture of why communities need new ways to resolve conflicts and combat interpersonal violence.

Responsive Image

Over the past few months, EDM artists have been collaborating left and right. Here are some of the most exciting projects released in the age of COVID.

Responsive Image

Some on the app are roleplaying as Holocaust victims. Regardless of intent, the fad is disrespectful, to say the least.

Responsive Image

Music has become a multisensory experience. Check out a brief history of how music incorporated the two art forms to reimagine visuals and audio united.

Responsive Image

While arguments over music may seem trivial to some, learning to accept genres outside of your usual taste can lead to an open mind in other areas of your life.

Responsive Image

The British band embraces dialogue clips on their second album, which reflects on political, social and emotional struggles in their signature style.

Responsive Image

Major players in the music industry have been suffering from the effects of the pandemic. Music That Never Sleeps is hoping to offset the damages.

Responsive Image

The thrilling listening experience proves that the genre is our best chance at getting a taste of live theater during the pandemic.

Responsive Image

Here are three amazing universe-building concept albums that you need to add to your Spotify queue.

Responsive Image

This plot device is one of the most overdone romantic clichés out there. Should it be left behind, or is there a way to make it new again?

Responsive Image

The new single captures the reality of pandemic social limitations while staying true to the heart of summer romance.

Responsive Image

Sibling acts like the Jackson 5, the Jonas Brothers, HAIM and the Bee Gees need to make room because there’s a new and ferocious sister duo that’s here to stay.

Responsive Image

Since the release of Taylor Swift’s eighth studio album, some fans have been speculating about possible double meanings in songs like ‘betty.’

Responsive Image

The touching but heartwrenching World War II novel explores a Jewish girl’s hope-filled journey to find community in a war-ravaged Germany.

Responsive Image

England’s trip-hop icons aren’t afraid to tackle climate change, economic disparity and other contemporary issues transpiring in the world in their new audio-visual EP.

Responsive Image

Their latest record is far more than just a collection of songs: Here’s a closer look at how the band has changed the game when it comes to debuting new music.

Responsive Image

The Portland hip-hop musician is growing both lyrically and artistically.

Responsive Image

The up-and-coming surf rock pop band uses mundane, everyday scenarios to express deep longing in their most recent album, ‘You and Your Friends.’

Responsive Image

The book is full of social media, insane baked goods and a love story you can’t help but root for.

Responsive Image

The Lee Chang-dong film adaptation of the critically acclaimed author’s short story may have changed a few details, but it maintains the spirit of the work.

Responsive Image

Karen M. McManus’ young adult mystery novel both upholds and defies the tropes of the classic ’80s movie.

Responsive Image

The musician’s new song announces her return, and in the aftermath of her divorce from Liam Hemsworth, her independence.

Responsive Image

Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s collab isn’t as scandalous as the internet wants you to believe.

Responsive Image

The show supplied our generation with great and forgettable covers alike. Which ones stand the test of time?

Responsive Image

Insomniac had to cancel their 2020 electronic music festival due to COVID-19, but fans are already hyped for next year’s show — tickets were gone within a day.

Responsive Image

Surfing the internet might take time away from your beloved books, but these blogs are the perfect companions to your favorite novels.

Responsive Image

The novel explores the long process of a guarded teenager finding belonging in her last foster home after a lifetime of letdowns.

Responsive Image

The artist’s renowned songwriting has gone from red to monochrome to the full spectrum of colors to create vivid imagery in every line.

Responsive Image

Comedian Dan Cummins is a master of laughs. But with the help of his wife, Lynze Cummins, he’s reaching a new audience interested in comedy and the supernatural alike.

Responsive Image

As he rises from obscurity to stardom, the singer’s new album combines bright, reckless sound with dark lyrics about the pressures of fame.

Responsive Image

The young singer songwriter dropped her first single during the pandemic and its sound masterfully reflects its contemplative lyrical content.

Responsive Image

The novel’s heartbreaking exploration of divorce and loss allows its exquisite friendships and familial connections to take center stage.

Responsive Image

At just 20 years old, the singer-songwriter passionately weaves lyrics about teenage romance and heartbreak into her debut EP.

Responsive Image

In her new book, Brit Bennett dissects extremely relevant issues with memorable characters and excellent storytelling.

Responsive Image

The new Spotify exclusive podcast allows longtime viewers of the beloved program to explore the decisions and stories that made the show a work of genius.