In an article about graduating, a hand grips a diploma, while a cap and textbook float in the background.

Tips and Advice for the Future College Graduate

Get yourself ready for the big milestone!

So you made it to the final year of university? It probably hasn’t registered yet. This could be your last semester or your last academic year. Not knowing what to do next in your life can be tricky. For many, a bachelor’s degree may be the end of their journey as a student. For others, there may be more degrees to  come. Either way, if you’re looking for guidance – this might be a helpful guide. 

The road to graduation is not always an easy one. Several students came right from high school as college freshmen. Others might have been community college transfers, and are now finally finishing this chapter of their lives. In many cases, the pandemic interrupted a lot of people’s work or might have caused many to pause throughout. Regardless, the end is nearing and there are a couple things you can or should do to make it smooth sailing. 

APPLY TO GRADUATE

This one may come as a shock to many college students. For many universities, there is a brief process that secures your spot at graduation. To register to graduate, there is a set fee ranging from $40 to $60. Every college or university has their own deadline, from late fall semester to the beginning of the spring. However, most universities recommend that students pay the fee during the fall in order to avoid a late fee. The key to not over-paying for your spot is to stay on track with due dates. Once you apply for graduation and pay the fee, you are set to decorate your cap and gown. Then move forward with preparations, walk across the stage and get your diploma.

FINALIZE YOUR CREDITS

Once you have registered to graduate, stay on top of your credits. The best way to assure yourself that you are on a steady path towards graduation is to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. Meeting with an advisor in your department every semester helps map out your courses and check general education requirement boxes. A to-do list that details all the credits you should complete beforehand will check you out. For peace of mind and organization, meeting to discuss your credits is helpful. 

Many students are double majors or have one major and a minor. Managing the courses that fulfill the degree is essential, yet can be difficult to keep track of. For those who just needed a friendly reminder: get those credits done!

INTERNSHIPS 

If you’re looking to spice up your resume before graduation approaches, internships are the way to go. Many students experienced setbacks from the pandemic when pursuing internship opportunities. Now is a great time to apply for spring internships. Most of the deadlines for fall internships have already passed. Of course, if you’re lucky there may be a few internships still open. Depending on your university’s location, there are still jobs available for this semester. In any case, applying for spring time internships is an easier feat and will definitely add substance to your resume. 

Oftentimes, university departments have listings and guidance available to get you working towards an internship. Polishing your resume and cover letter for these applications are crucial to securing a position. Whether it’s a business firm or a journalism newsroom, making connections and sending applications puts your foot in the door. Especially when using LinkedIn, as it helps to connect with your employers. This is your official sign to send in a couple of applications. 

GRADUATE SCHOOL APPLICATIONS

For a lot of students, a bachelor’s degree will not be their final stop in an academic career. Getting started on the grad applications and financial aid options is a necessity! Many of the applications have a lengthy checklist of material to collect. The letters of reference (which are more time-consuming than most would assume), transcripts and work samples, depending on the program you’re shooting for are important to round up early on. Rounding up a list of trustworthy contacts can be difficult to track down given timeliness. Some graduate programs, such asEnglish programs or journalism, require an essay portion of an application. 

Choosing to move on to grad school instead of jumping into a career is impressive. Just keep in mind that a considerable amount of time needs to be dedicated to putting together  your best applications. Make sure to take your time putting together a portfolio, getting your transcripts and securing your letters of recommendation. Most importantly, best of luck!

SOAK UP STUDENT PERKS 

One of the biggest privileges as a university student are all the opportunities offered on campus. Accessing the free events on your campus is one of the easiest ways to stay involved. Campus farmer’s markets, mini-festivals and student organized events are a great way to engage with your school’s community. Universities vary in the types of events and benefits offered to students. Campuses are littered with posters and flyers, waiting for you to attend. 

Getting involved with a school club will come with many perks. If you were not originally a part of a club during your academic career, this could be your time. For many journalism majors, finding a National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) chapter at your school could be more than likely. The NAHJ organization is a great way to familiarize yourself with like-minded journalists from different backgrounds. This is just one example of great organizations that many schools will offer. 

Your involvement will not only aid your resume, but forming connections will be easier. The club could be directly correlated to your major with meetings tailored to your chosen field of work. For instance, many clubs stem from organizations that can help juice up your resume. There are also clubs that have specific focuses and bring together a community of people who share that interest. This is a great way to make friends, beyond attending your classes. 

The student discounted trials of music platforms – Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. – are just one of those things that we probably take for granted as students. There are also Amazon Prime and other streaming services that are discounted for students. Just holding on to these memberships before they’re gone is a great way to take advantage of the student perks. 

Getting ready to officially graduate will definitely take effort. From now until the ceremony, you should focus on finishing your course credits. Then, you should emotionally and mentally prepare yourself to take the next step. Make sure to breathe and relax while truly soaking in the moment. This milestone is a huge one, a great accomplishment. So far, you’ve learned from other peers, alumni and professors – hopefully getting you to this point. As it all comes to an end, don’t forget to enjoy these moments. Congratulations!

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.