in article about hair loss, a person pulling hair out of his scalp

Are Your College Habits Contributing to Hair Loss?

Balding is hugely affected by genetics, but the things you do at school could also exacerbate the issue.

Baldness and hair loss can be caused by factors like family history, hormonal changes, medication, and excessive hairstyling. However, lifestyle can also be partially to blame for hair loss, and you might have noticed this when you began attending college. If you’ve started experiencing hair loss, now might be the right time to look at your habits and see if you need to make changes. Some of the following factors might be to blame.

Your Age

You cannot change your age, but you might notice hair loss in college because you’re now out of high school and on your way to adulthood. You might ask, “How does it work exactly?” and the answer is one that scientists have been pondering for a long time.

In 2016, researchers determined that mutations in the scalp’s stem cells might cause hair loss, which results in follicle shrinkage and thinner hair. Fortunately, we now have access to medication to assist with receding hairlines and even hair loss.

Poor Nutrition

When you leave your family home and venture off to college, you now have to prepare your own well-balanced and nutritious meals, and it might not be as easy as you think. Poor nutrition can cause hair loss, especially when you’re deficient in protein, fatty acids, and minerals. Putting time and effort into your diet might stop hair loss in its tracks while also helping you feel at your best.

Stress

College can be one of the most stressful periods in the average person’s life, especially when you’re trying to juggle school life with a job and a social life, all while potentially adjusting to a new town and environment away from friends and family.

It’s not uncommon to encounter stress and even find yourself overwhelmed more often than not. Stress can be responsible for many health problems, such as mental health issues and cardiovascular disease, but it can also result in skin and hair problems like acne and permanent hair loss. While you might be unable to limit the causes of your stress, you can change how you respond to it. Eat well, exercise, get plenty of rest, and consider stress management techniques like mindfulness meditation.

Significant Weight Loss

Most people are familiar with the “Freshman 15,” which refers to how much weight the average student gains when they head off to college. Researchers have deemed this figure false, and you might even find yourself losing weight rather than gaining it.

If you’re experiencing significant weight loss in college due to stress or other causes, you might also experience hair loss. Sometimes, hair loss during weight loss can be caused by nutrient deficiencies, and there has long been a link between crash dieting and hair loss.

Restrictive diets, weight loss surgery and low protein diets might also all contribute to hair loss. Alongside medication, you might be able to prevent hair loss during weight loss by giving your body the nutrients it needs through nutritious food and supplements.

Hair loss might be the last thing you expect to encounter when you head off to college, but it can happen for some surprising reasons. Focus on your diet, eat balanced meals, and talk to medical professionals about any medications you can try to stop it in its tracks.