National Coming Out Day

ShareThis Link:
Posted by admin on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Whether you are an ally or a part of the LGBT community, today is a day to celebrate diversity and human rights.  It is National Coming Out Day (NCOD)!

Stolen form my awesome co-worker, Alyssa.

The name of this day encourages LGBTs embrace their identity.  In addition to this, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is making today about asking elected officials to come out  in support of marriage equality, employment and non-discrimnations laws, full equality for LGBT Americans and combating bullying.

The NCOD app on Facebook allows you to pledge your support.

HRC is making this possible through a NCOD Facebook app.  The app that allows you to show your support of elected officials that come out for LGBT equal rights.  A pin marking your general geographic location is then added to a map of the world where it joins all the blue pins of others who have pledged as well.

This map of the U.S. shows the pins of people who have joined in asking elected officials to support LGBT equality.

Equal rights for all LGBTQs is becoming a larger issue to politicians.  Is it maybe because we are making it a point to tell them we care?! I think so, people.

Just a little over a year ago, Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed. Barack Obama, one of most influential elected officials, became the first president to openly announce his support for  marriage equality.  While these are significant steps, they are only the first of many that need to be taken for equal rights for all Americans to be achieved.

Obama has been one of the most influential elected officials to come out in support of gay marriage and LGBT rights.

Will you be making a pledge today to ask your elected officials to support equal rights?  Come out and and share if so!