Reiki
Get rid of your stress by practicing Reiki (Image via Blissful Living)

Could the Power of Reiki Be The Answer to Your Problems?

It's time to your chakra and get rid of negative energy.

As described by the dictionary, reiki is “a healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient’s body and restore physical and emotional well-being.”

Developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, reiki acts as a form of alternative medicine in many cultures all over the globe. Reiki stimulates the free flow of energy in the body though it might be blocked by certain factors

However, reiki is often regarded as false medicine and has no actual purpose for healing the body or mind. In other words, many people believe that it does not actually do anything if it is only dealing with energy and chakras through touching and cleansing.

What if more college students believed in the power of healing by reiki? Would they be less stressed and produce higher quality school work if the free flow of energy was restored?

Reiki balances the chakras in order to unblock the energy and removing negative energy from the body, perfect for the stressed, anxious student studying away for finals. Reiki could be the saving grace for many students if only they were able to experience it in action.

The Root Chakra: Muladhara

This chakra’s role is the energy grounding people to the Earth and it represents all the things someone needs to survive. In the current generation, this grounding translates to financial and emotional stability. Financial and emotional security is something that college students generally lack so when the chakra is overactive, anxiety and jitters are often present.

Considering college students live on ramen and coffee and have several emotional breakdowns with all the work they have to complete during the semester, cleansing the root chakra at the base of the spine through reiki would help ease stress in a student’s life. Unless the basic needs are met, they fear for their survival and this chakra’s role is to keep them alive.

The Sacral Chakra: Svadhishana

The second chakra is connected to one’s own personal identity and how they choose to express that identity as a human. Energy from the sacral chakra is connected to the life force present in everyone’s body and represents the activities and passions in life that make them feel alive.

This chakra lets people enjoy the things life has to offer such as good food and wine, and according to my research sex. When the chakra is overactive, someone is likely to face addiction, gluttony, and restlessness.

For college students, this is most prominent in the weight gain of the freshman 15, drinking excessively to the point of blacking out, and of sleeping around with multiple people that they may regret in the morning. If college students focused on balancing this chakra, then these activities would be pleasurable in modest quantities and not overdone.

The Solar Plexus Chakra: Manipura

The third chakra is the place where self-confidence, identity and personal power stem from. When people say they feel something in their gut, the solar plexus chakra is the cause of that instant reaction — the primal instinct.

Personal power and wisdom come from this place near the sternum. This chakra is often called the warrior chakra because it is compared to the instincts of a warrior in battle. Reiki can help students channel this energy into the work they do for class.

College students often have personal power taken away from them because though they are independent away from their parents they still must answer to professors and RAs for their grades and living situations. Through reiki, students would be able to take back some of their power before it extends into the lives of others.

The Heart Chakra: Anahata

Love is associated with the heart, including love for one’s self and others. The heart chakra is also connected with health and healing.  Compassion, love and kindness all stem from the heart chakra and in this modern age love and relationships are difficult for most people to find in true.

College students are consumed by hook up culture and not getting to know someone first before hooking up. They want to do all the things a relationship entails but don’t want to be possessed by someone and just want to be friends.

They do not fall in love because they are not in a relationship, they are just having fun before moving on to the next person a few weeks later. Reiki could help college students give up this hook up culture because they would be able to search for fulfilling love instead of passing hookups.

The Throat Chakra: Vishuddha

This chakra gives individuals their own personal voice. They have the freedom to express their own thoughts instead of being silenced. During a time of political turmoil, many students have open objections to the current administration and other cultural issues.

This chakra gives people the voice and volume to speak out against things that are unjust and wrong, though many are still silenced. In regards to all the school shootings, students are speaking up because the issues need to change and they are sick of being ignored.

Many students are still afraid to speak their mind about issues that they are passionate about it. Reiki would benefit students who are being silenced, they could feel the power to speak their mind and actually make someone listen. Being heard in class or in the college community is important to a student’s well-being.

The Third Eye Chakra: Ajna

The sixth chakra known as the third eye has been understood from many different ancient cultures. When this chakra is out of whack, it is difficult for an individual to connect with things outside of the physical world. People will focus on tarot cards, astrology and paranormal experiences, they will obsess over these concepts instead of focusing on living a human experience.

This chakra might not apply to college students in this exact way. However, when students focus too much on their school work, they lose the experience that college is supposed to provide. Yes, school work is important but so is focusing on yourself and making memories in college outside of the classroom such as sports teams and club events.

The Crown Chakra: Sahaswara

The last chakra is supposed to connect the individual to the universe and everything in it. This is one of the more important ones. Once you have balanced this chakra, you have essentially reached the Buddhist nirvana. I compare this to the premise of graduating, once you have completed all of these tasks and requirements you get your diploma.

Reiki could help students connect with the universe in a smaller aspect and help them connect with their university. It would help connect to other students and the place of school as a whole.

Reiki is a combination of cleansing chakras and balancing energies and because more people brush it off as a crock, they do not benefit from it. More students could live a more fulfilling experience if they tried it. Could reiki be the solution to all the negative energy students’ stress over? If you believe that something works for you, who’s to say it doesn’t actually work?

Megan Batt, SUNY Cortland

Megan Batt

SUNY Cortland
Professional Writing