Wreck-It Ralph

‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Is Back to Take Over (or Break) the Internet

The new trailer of 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' is out and it’s wrecking people.

Disney has just released the official teaser trailer for “Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2” and the internet is truly going crazy for it. Fans are buzzing with this new sneak peek into the film and they can’t help but wonder what this continuation will bring to the table.

The much-anticipated sequel to the 2012 “Wreck-It Ralph” film is set to release on Nov. 21, 2018, right on time for Thanksgiving break.

The trailer shows the infamous arcade from the first film getting an upgrade as the arcade owner plugs in a Wi-Fi router. This new connection suddenly provides the inhabitants of the arcade with access to the World Wide Web and the venture into the internet begins.

Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) and Vanellope (voiced by Sarah Silverman) get thrown into the world of brand names such as EBay, YouTube and IMDb (all shown in the trailer) and the wonderful reality of pop-ups and ads.

The trailer finishes up with a comedic skit (though debatable to some) of a little girl playing an online game about feeding cats and bunnies and Ralph taking it too far with the feeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xka-nLPN9-Y

Along with this new trailer, the confirmation of a princess ensemble in the film has got people’s expectation of the movie to an all-time high, considering no princesses were actually shown in the trailer.

The star-studded cast of princesses (confirmed) includes big names, such as Kelly Macdonald, Kristen Bell, Mandy Moore, Auli’I Cravalho, Ming-Na Wen, Jodi Benson and Idina Menzel.

What the audience has been given so far through the trailer and cast confirmation induces a little head scratching since they seem to lead to different stories, but nevertheless, people are excited.

With the sequel to “The Incredibles” coming up in the summer of 2018 and the release of “Wreck-It Ralph 2” coming in Nov. 2018, it seems that Disney is going to have a big year in the film department. At least, fans of the two films think so on social media.

This sequel of “Wreck-It Ralph” is supposed to take place six years after the events of the first film, with Ralph and Vanellope venturing out into the internet because the Sugar Rush Arcade cabinet has broken and they need to find a piece that can save the game.

Simple as it sounds, the plot can easily grab the attention of younger audiences while entertaining older ones all the same with clever cameos and appearances that everyone can relate to. Fun and promising, the animated movie is certainly eye-catching enough to attract a well-sized audience.

Despite all of this enthusiastic welcome from fans, not all people are convinced that Disney is going to deliver in the end. “Wreck-It Ralph 2” is specifically facing the criticism for its strong resemblance to “The Emoji Movie” in the adventure inside the cyber world of the internet of its characters.

Others are more concerned with the fact the film will be straying from the video game theme of the original, and it is true that the film will most likely be focusing more on web-oriented games as hinted by the bunny feeding game. Like any sequels, concerns of story continuity and consistency tend to rise upon the introduction of a trailer.

As some fans have mentioned, even if “Wreck-It Ralph” might look a little like “The Emoji Movie” to some extent, it is probably going to be a better version of “The Emoji Movie.” While this is appealing to some fans, it riles up those who don’t want to settle a copy of, seemingly a sequel to, what is generally considered a flop.

The fact is Disney had six years to plan this movie out, and hopefully, that will amount to something better, more exciting than what “The Emoji Movie” brought to the big screen.

The reason “Wreck-It Ralph” was a hit in the first place was its unique take on the world of video games, and now the filmmakers for it are hoping to bring a unique spin to what we know as the internet.

“Wreck-it Ralph’s” embedded sense of humor and satire has hooked viewers for so long that fans are certainly looking for something of the same, if not higher quality, in the upcoming sequel. If the trailer is anything to go by then the filmmakers definitely didn’t leave out that quality out of the film, what with soul-searching cats and exploding bunnies.

Disney has packed a lot of punches into this sequel with its cameos, princesses and unique internet and video game humor, and hopefully, the end result will truly deliver. The trailer itself has definitely garnered attention and sparked many discussions on the film.

People have to remember, though, this was only a teaser trailer, a glimpse into what the film may yet hold in store for viewers. For all anyone knows, this trailer has only scratched the surface of what the movie might bring to the screen.

There’s still a long way to go until the release of the film and in all honesty, it might surprise people. There is one important thing to remember: “Wreck-it Ralph” is a kid’s movie and its endgame is to have people enjoy it and maybe not take it so seriously.

The official teaser trailer for “Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2” has only been out for a short time and it already has people speculating in wariness and excitement to the point that it is actually wrecking the internet. With high hopes for the film and mixed, but mostly positive, reactions for the trailer, the sequel for “Wreck-It Ralph” has everyone waiting in anticipation for its release.

Valeria Garcia, University of Texas at Austin

Valeria Garcia

University of Texas at Austin
English Major, Creative Writing Minor