Illustrations of characters in 2000s shows

Top 10 Most Stylish Characters From Early 2000s Shows

From Carrie Bradshaw to Lizzie McGuire, these TV icons exemplify the fashion of the first decade of the 21st century.

The early 2000s was a memorable period for many in the fashion world, one marked by sparkles, low-rise jeans, butterfly clips and the skinniest of scarves. A glance at any TV show from the time reveals both an abundance of stylish outfits and an insight into the trends of the decade. Below is a list of the most stylish characters from various early 2000s shows and a discussion of their wardrobe’s importance in the context of their respective series.

10.  Lizzie McGuire from “Lizzie McGuire

While short-lived, “Lizzie McGuire” remains one of the most iconic Disney Channel shows as well as a source of style inspiration to this day. Lizzie was the queen of accessories, fun hairdos and clumsy teenage charisma. Her colorful and funky outfits grounded the show in the perspective of a young teenage girl given creative reign over her own personal style.

9. Lynn Anne Searcy from “Girlfriends

Lynn, from one of the most beloved 2000s shows, “Girlfriends,” was the impulsive, passionate and positive friend that many people can easily recognize. She was one to live in the moment and this was reflected in her gorgeous wardrobe throughout the show. Lynn frequently modeled cargo pants, lacy blouses and billowing sleeves. She comes in ninth for her simple yet exceptional style, which complemented the rest of her group but also set her apart and allowed the audience to see her personality shine.

8. Buffy Summers from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Known for her leather coats and high boots, Buffy was very much the slayer when it came to her outfits. The evolution of her style mirrors her journey as she grows into her power and transforms from a high school teen who wears sundresses, into a more mature woman who wears jeans, black boots and a collection of fabulous jackets. Buffy is listed as eighth for her innate sense of style and impressive wardrobe; although the costumes in “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” remain integral to the show’s atmosphere, they are often sidelined and never really discussed.

7. Phoebe Halliwell from “Charmed

For fans of witches and sisterhood, “Charmed” is one of the most classic 2000s shows that cannot be recommended enough. It has severely underrated worldbuilding, as well as strong female characters who always look stylish while fighting demons and learning the art of witchcraft. Phoebe Halliwell, the youngest of the three sisters, comes in seventh for her fashion choices that are the epitome of early 2000s glamour. Hallmarks of Phoebe’s style include her shimmery halter tops and club clothes. In addition, her countless hair makeovers always tied into the storylines and kept her looking stunning while she grew into her powers and her sense of self.

6. Carrie Bradshaw from “Sex and the City”

Although it started in the ‘90s, “Sex and the City” has been called one of the most influential shows in terms of fashion. The show hit its stride in the early 2000s and was followed by two movies and a recent reboot, proving the everlasting success of the story and the longevity of the characters. Carrie Bradshaw comes in sixth as the protagonist of a fashion-centered story and a style icon for many. Sometimes Carrie made questionable fashion decisions throughout the show’s long (and continuing) run, but she was known for taking risks and making bold choices when it came to her wardrobe. All in all, Carrie was undeniably stylish and one of the most visible fashion icons of the early 2000s.

5. Lorelai Gilmore from “Gilmore Girls

As one of the most iconic moms on television, Lorelai Gilmore is anything but boring. This extended heavily to her style, which emulated early 2000s cool. From her band tees and low-rise jeans to her leather skirts, blouses and endless supply of killer dresses, Lorelai comes in at fifth, her epic wardrobe fostering her characterization as a hip, stylish woman who had grown up alongside her daughter.

4. Summer Roberts from “The O.C.

Sassy, stylish and the season of summer personified, Summer Roberts from “The O.C.” was the ultimate California cool girl of the early 2000s. Staples of her closet included silky scarves, miniskirts, sundresses and tracksuits. Summer had an outfit for every storyline and occasion that arose on “The O.C.,” which puts her in fourth for her fashion ingenuity and quintessential 2000s looks.

3. Serena van der Woodsen from “Gossip Girl

“Gossip Girl” was one of several early 2000s shows that used fashion to propel the story and whose characters possessed unparalleled style. It-girl Serena van der Wooden was a free-spirited and enigmatic character. An affluent member of the Upper East Side’s elite, she wore a collection of highly coveted designer pieces that identified her as a wealthy and bubbly socialite.

2. Blair Waldorf from “Gossip Girl

Blair Waldorf was the brunette counterpart to Serena’s blonde in “Gossip Girl.” Together they formed an iconic and infamous duo known for its toxicity, unrelenting love and very fashionable outfits. Blair comes in second, as her preppy and tailored style proves essential to her characterization as a high-achieving perfectionist. She experiences many fashion moments that mirror her character growth and penchant for risk-taking.

1. Brooke Davis from “One Tree Hill

First place goes to early 2000s icon Brooke Davis, reformed mean girl cheerleader turned fashion mogul and inspiring female lead. While Brooke always had a great style that reflected both her popularity as well as the trends of the time, it was when she launched her own fashion label, named “Hoes Over Bros,” that fashion became a large part of Brooke’s character.

Julie Morse, Pomona College

Julie Morse

Pomona College
English, French minor

Originally from New York City but came to California for college. Loves reading and writing in their free time and maybe wants to become an author or go into publishing.