5 Movies That Will Inspire You to Get You off Your Bed/Couch This Summer

Now that the warmer weather is here, it’s time to let Netflix down easy.

Now that the summer solstice has come and gone, it’s officially summer and you have no excuse for not getting outside.

But, if you’re still feeling attached to your indoor sanctum, here are five great films that will motivate you to get some sun, go on a great adventure or just breathe in some fresh air.

1. The Kings of Summer

This great 2013 indie flick stars a younger Nick Robinson (of “Love, Simon” fame) as an angsty teenager who, with two other friends, makes the decision to leave his dysfunctional home life and go live in the woods.

Like any good coming-of-age movie, the three boys realize the true power of friendship along the way. 

2. Eat, Pray, Love

So, here’s the deal with “Eat, Pray, Love”: everyone either hates to love it or loves to hate it.

No matter how preachy you find Julia Roberts in this film, the #travelgoals are undeniable. And, hey, many viewers have reported walking away from this film feeling ready and inspired to go on their own nomadic journey.

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Ever been dumped, or even worse, cheated on? Yeah, me too. In this comedy, Jason Segel’s Peter Bretter attempts to heal the pain of betrayal by taking an unexpected trip to Hawaii. The unexpected catch? His ex and her new rockstar boyfriend, played by Kristen Bell and Russell Brand, are posted up at the same resort.

Although designed as a raunchy comedy, the movie perfectly shows the way that travel and new experiences can help gain perspective on heartache and even end up changing the traveler’s life.

4. Call Me by Your Name

This film was Oscar buzz-worthy this past February for a variety of reasons: the heartbreaking love story, Sufjan Stevens’ soundtrack and the lovely Timothee Chalamet.

Despite all of those cinematic wonders though, the beautiful Italian countryside was the star of this movie to me. The film features luscious bright colors and long shots of the vistas. If this one can’t push you to pack your bags, none can.

5. Wild/Into the Wild

These two great movies are similar title-wise and in terms of content: They both spread the message of love for the Earth, frustration with modern life and a deep-seeded need to connect with nature.

In “Wild,” Reese Witherspoon plays a young woman who, following the death of her mother, decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail and finds herself along the way.

“Into the Wild,” starring Emile Hirsch, follows a young man named Chris as he rejects his family’s fortune and drives up into Alaska. Though ultimately a tragic tale, Chris’ journey has inspired many.

Another important factor of both these movies is that they are based on true stories, proving that anyone can reconnect with the wilderness, and that it is worthwhile, successful or not.

Katie Sheets, University of Vermont

Katie Sheets

University of Vermont