Selena Gomez has starred in many roles throughout the years and is now adding another.

5 of Our Favorite Selena Gomez Roles From Her 18-Year Career

Selena Gomez has come a long way since her debut on Disney Channel in 'Wizards of Waverly Place.' Now, she's returning to the screen and starring in a comedy series on Hulu.

Most of us in the early 2000s got our sarcasm from Disney Channel character Alex Russo — it’s been a while since you heard that name, huh? Well, our favorite member of the Russo clan, actress and singer Selena Gomez, is returning to your screen to star in a new Hulu comedy series, “Only Murders in the Building.”

It follows three strangers with a passion for true crime, and they find themselves in one. Gomez is working alongside Steve Martin and Martin Short. It is her first regular television role since starring as Alex in Disney Channel’s popular series “Wizards of Waverly Place.”

While she’s been in everything from “Barney & Friends” to “The Fundamentals of Caring,” this is a list of our favorite Selena Gomez roles over the course of her 18-year career (other than wizards!).

1. Another Cinderella Story

In the 2008 comedy and modern-day Cinderella fairytale, Gomez plays Mary Santiago, a talented dancer with a dream of going to the Manhattan Academy of Performing Arts in New York.

She lives with her evil stepmom and former pop star, Dominique, played by Jane Lynch, and stepsisters Bree and Britt, played by Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins. Mary becomes her stepfamily’s maid after her father passes away.

It seems the only break the teen gets from the constant abuse is sneaking into dance class and being with her best friend, Tami, played by Jessica Parker Kennedy. Mary is a senior at Beverly Hills High School when teen pop sensation Joey Parker returns to get his diploma. The two connect at the masquerade ball and fall in love after dancing together.

To make sure Dominique doesn’t discover she snuck out, Mary leaves Joey on the dance floor but drops her Zune on her way up the stairs. So, all the heartthrob knows is her top songs on her playlist.

2. Monte Carlo 

Gomez plays Grace, a teenager from Texas who achieves almost every young person’s dream — going to Paris after her high school graduation.

Grace, her best friend, Emma, and her stepsister, Meg, head out of the U.S., but their travel package is not what they expected. The trio finds themselves in a cramped room and with a tour guide who quickly passes every tourist sight. Don’t worry, things get worse — when their tour bus leaves them at the Eiffel Tower it starts to rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxm_bVVhbr8

When they go into a bathroom of a luxury hotel, Grace is mistaken for a spoiled British heiress, Cordelia Winthrop-Scott, who looks just like her. The three spend the night in Cordelia’s huge suite and are attacked by paparazzi with cameras the next morning.

The girls learn what it is like to live like socialites until Cordelia sees herself in a newspaper at a ball she wasn’t at.

3. Spring Breakers 

In Harmony Korine’s film, Gomez starred in her first R-rated movie with the role of Faith.

The film follows four college students: Candy is played by Vanessa Hudgens, Brit played by Ashley Benson, Cotty played by Rachel Korine, and Faith. The group doesn’t have enough money to go on their spring break trip in Florida. So, what would any logical group of young people do for extra cash? No, not babysitting or working a retail job — they rob a diner.

The police soon find the ladies and arrest them for robbery. A strange drug dealer named Alien, played by James Franco, bails the four out. An uncomfortable Faith leaves to return home, begging her other three friends to come with her, but the three are charmed by Alien’s money and bad boy persona.

4. Hotel Transylvania 

In the words of Dracula, voiced by Adam Sandler, “Welcome to Hotel Transylvania!” The five-star hotel with both monsters and their families provides a relaxing getaway from humans.

Gomez voiced Count Dracula’s soon to be 118-year-old daughter, Mavis, who is intrigued by the world outside the castle. For the celebration, Dracula invites some of the most well-known monsters, such as Frankenstein, the Mummy and The Invisible Man.

Count Dracula does not like her fascination with the human world, intentionally raising her away from these dangers. This plan works until a 21-year-old very human Jonathan stumbles upon the hotel. To make matters worse, Mavis starts to fall for him.

In the 2012 animated movie, Gomez stars alongside Kevin James and Andy Samberg.

5. Princess Protection Program 

In the 2009 film, Gomez is featured alongside actress and singer Demi Lovato, and plays Carter, a tomboy from Louisiana.

Imagine being a princess who’s threatened by an evil dictator and forced to leave your home. Well, this is what happens to Princess Rosalinda, played by Demi Lovato. She does this under an agency called The Princess Protection Program — and it is exactly what it sounds like. Major Joe Mason takes the princess under his wing to live with him and his daughter, Carter. Now, with the name Rosie, she goes undercover to a regular high school.

The two unlikely roommates have a rough start but soon adapt to their new lives together. Carter teaches Rosie how to be a regular teenager, while Rosie gives her a few lessons of what it means to be royal.

Well, every bird has to leave the nest and I wish Selena luck in her return to comedy and television. But, Alex will always be in our hearts, and in every sarcastic comment.

Jackie Sizing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Jackie Sizing

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Media and Journalism

Jackie Sizing is an aspiring writer who enjoys drinking way too much coffee and showing people photos of her dog. If you want to potentially see these photos (and all her writing!), follow her on Twitter @jackiesiz.