Netflix’s “You”

What We Know About Season 2 of Netflix’s ‘You’

It gives us plenty to theorize about, for sure. Spoilers ahead.

From the perspective of Guinevere Beck (Elizabeth Lail), Netflix’s “You” is, at first glance, the cute story of a struggling writer in New York City, who, in between juggling her crazy friends, complicated family and demanding job, starts dating a charming bookstore manager. However, in a case of nail-bitingly intense dramatic irony, the audience knows from the beginning that her story is anything but cute.

Instead, Netflix’s “You” is told from the perspective of Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley), who becomes obsessed with Beck after their meet-cute in his bookstore. Everything about their first scene is reminiscent of a nice romance story — except for the voiceover of Joe’s thoughts, which initially seem pretty innocuous, if a bit too observant.

But he gets more and more fixated on Beck, analyzing her every move, finding her on every social media and staring through her wide apartment windows; the audience has to watch as Beck continues on, oblivious to her very real, very dangerous stalker. The tension is captivating.

After fully marathoning the 10 episodes of Season 1, viewers are on the edge of their seats, waiting for more. Here’s what we know so far about the upcoming season:

They are working on Season 2 now, and it will probably be released in late 2019 or early 2020.

— Joe will definitely be returning, as will his ex-girlfriend Candace (Ambyr Childers), who we saw in flashbacks in Season 1.

— There are a whole host of characters that are still alive (not as many as the show started with, though) that could return. Paco (Luca Padovan), Joe’s kid neighbor who looks up to him, is still alive, as is his mother, Claudia (Victoria Cartagena). Joe’s co-worker Ethan (Zach Cherry) somehow made it out of Season 1, so he could be back. Also, Beck’s old friends and classmates could make an appearance (those that aren’t dead, that is). Namely, Annika (Kathryn Gallagher), Lynn (Nicole Kang) and Blythe (Hari Nef) might come back to haunt Joe in Season 2. Furthermore, it’s unknown whether Joe’s therapist, Dr. Nicky (John Stamos), will come back in some way after being framed for some of Joe’s murders.

There’s also the question of new characters to arrive in “You” Season 2. In fact, it’s been confirmed that Joe will have a new love interest who isn’t as attached to social media, which will surely make Joe’s stalking that much more difficult. Love Quinn is “an aspiring chef” who is also “tending to a big grief – so when she meets Joe she senses a shared knowledge of profound loss.” She will be played by Victoria Pedretti, who recently starred in another Netflix horror series, “The Haunting of Hill House.”

Netflix’s “You” will also showcase Love Quinn’s family and friends, in the same way we saw Beck’s friends and family in Season 1. Love Quinn’s brother, Forty Quinn, who will played by James Scully, is a barely-on-the-wagon addict who relies on his sister to keep it together. Forty is described as “confident, opinionated, and privileged,” traits that will definitely not mix well with Joe’s. The show definitely won’t be hurting for tension in Season 2. We’ll also be seeing one of Love’s friends, Gabe, a successful acupuncturist who “lives his life to the fullest,” played by Charlie Barnett.

There are more minor roles that have been confirmed since Netflix announced Season 2 of “You,” all of whom promise to either clash with Joe or face other difficulties in a way that is sure to be both tension-filled and entertaining.

Netflix has also given a few hints as to the plot of Season 2: Joe relocates from New York to Los Angeles to escape his past, but he can’t quite manage it because the anxiety and paranoia that come with a deep, dark secret (and Joe has a lot of them) just can’t be ignored. Joe is also still trying to find his one true love, much to the detriment of literally everyone around him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt6wsvJBC5c/

But while viewers are waiting for season two, there are plenty of plotlines left open from season one to speculate about. While Joe might do a lot of murder, he hasn’t perfected his technique, and he’s left behind a few loose ends that viewers have wondered about. Furthermore, people have theories about the season one finale that could have serious consequences for Joe in Season 2, in a way that will certainly be enthralling.

Here are some popular fan theories for Season 2:

Nicky knows that Joe is the real murderer. Since Beck was such an avid social media user, she posted pictures of herself and Joe together on her accounts. During her affair with the therapist, Dr. Nicky probably looked at her social media and realized that his client, “Paul,” is actually Joe. This also means that they both would have told him the same story from two different perspectives, which is definitely suspicious. And if Dr. Nicky does know, this could have serious consequences for Joe, since Dr. Nicky will be desperate to prove that he didn’t actually kill anyone.

Joe caused Mr. Moony’s stroke. Even in Season 1, Joe already had a dark past. Mr. Moony (Mark Blum), the bookstore owner who taught Joe about books through abuse and neglect, had a stroke, which fans think could have been a botched attempt at murder on Joe’s part. This, too, could come back to haunt him.

Karen Minty knows Joe’s secret. Karen (Natalie Paul), Joe’s girlfriend when he was separated from Beck, leaves quickly when he breaks up with her, which is out of character for her. Her warning to Beck is also quite sinister — she says that Beck was her “get out of Joe free card,” and tells her that something suspicious happened to Joe’s last girlfriend, Candace. This theory explains why Karen just disappeared afterward, even leaving behind her friends Paco and Claudia.

Beck is alive. After all, we never see the scene where Joe (supposedly) kills her, or even an image of her body. There are many theories about this, but this fan sums it up well: Joe, while he is most definitely a creepy murderer, is still capable of empathy, as shown by his care for Paco, so when he says to Beck, “I would never hurt someone I love,” he could have been telling the truth, even in his own twisted worldview. After all, he didn’t murder Candace, as shown by her surprise appearance in the finale; it’s entirely possible that Beck is alive, and, knowing this show, she could come back to plague him in Season 2, too.

Netflix’s “You” is one of the most creepy yet fascinating shows out there, and it’s no wonder that fans are on the edge of their seats waiting for Season 2. The new characters and new setting, combined with Joe’s dark past, are sure to make a captivating show. There are so many possibilities and potential for drama, and Season 2 can’t come fast enough.