In an article about upcoming Netflix originals a screenshot from the show Lost in Space

What Netflix Originals Can Viewers Look Forward to in December 2021?

Searching for something new to watch? Here’s a list of upcoming shows and movies coming out next month that you should check out.

The human population as a whole shares the need to engage in some form of entertainment. And for many people, that television fix comes from Netflix, the streaming service home to many original shows and movies. Even though November has just begun, it’s never too early to get excited about what’s coming to Netflix in December 2021, and that’s where I come in to attempt to save the day. Read on to receive thrilling news of what’s to come this December that will allow for a smooth-sailing holiday season.

“The Witcher”

Where better to start than with the acclaimed “The Witcher” series? First released in 2019, the show’s second season is set to be released on Dec. 17. For those who haven’t had the time to enjoy Season 1 of “The Witcher,” here is a quick run-down: The show is based on a series of Polish novels, which began in 1992. In the words of CNET, “The Witcher is not a person, but rather a profession.” The storyline follows one Witcher in particular — Geralt of Rivia. 

Geralt was made a Witcher after his mother, a sorceress, gave him up. To become a successful Witcher, one must be well-versed in “magic, bestiary, weapons and herbalism.” Once fully trained, the students must participate in the Trial of the Grasses. In the trial, they are injected with chemicals that confer significant physical advantages, such as “improved healing, the ability to see in the dark and supernatural strength.” The process is a dangerous one that many do not survive. Once the Trial of Grasses is complete and the student survives they become a Witcher, or a person who hunts monsters. 

What will happen in the second season of “The Witcher,” and will it exceed audiences’ fantastical expectations? Tune in to find out, only on Netflix.

https://youtu.be/TJFVV2L8GKs

“Lost in Space”

There’s nothing like a series that the whole family can watch together, and “Lost in Space” is the perfect show for the occasion. An American science fiction series, “Lost in Space” follows the Robinson family who, that’s right, get lost in space. But how did the Robinson family get lost in space, and why were they defying gravity to begin with? 

The series as a whole re-envisions the original 1960s series of the same name, which is an adaptation of the 1812 novel “The Swiss Family Robinson” and the comic book published by Gold Key Comics titled “Space Family Robinson.”

Living in the year 2046, the intellectual and resourceful Robinson family are on their way to colonizing a nearby planet after their home planet has become unhabitable. However, when their spaceship veers off course and is breached by an alien robot, their mission halts. The Robinsons must fight almost unmatchable odds when their evacuation causes them to crash onto another planet. Find out if the Robinson family makes it to their intended destination or if they succumb to the alien robot in Season 3 on Dec. 1.

“Money Heist”

Money Heist” will conclude with its fifth and final season on Dec. 3. A short and non-spoiling summary of the show is that there is a criminal mastermind, aka “The Professor,” who hatches a literal “money heist” — hence the title — to carry out a robbery at the Royal Mint of Spain, where euros are printed. 

With a team of eight people, the scheme soon unravels with thrilling surprises as the thieves take hostages to assist in their negotiations with authorities who have been plotting to capture The Professor. But, as the clock continues to tick, so does the fate of these heisters’ pre-meditated and elaborate swindle.

Take some time to catch up on the first four seasons before the highly anticipated finale airs on Netflix next month.

https://youtu.be/htqXL94Rza4

“The Unforgivable”

The Unforgivable” is a film that stars Sandra Bullock as a citizen who was recently paroled after serving time for a violent crime she committed a long time ago. The film looks to be a troubling tale about recovery and assimilation into society after years of isolation from the real world. 

Inspired by 2009 British miniseries, the film features Bullock as Ruth Slater, the lead character who attempts to rebuild her life when she comes back to her hometown. Though what crimes she committed are unknown just from the trailers, it can be assumed they’re heinous enough that the entire town despises her. So, on a quest to perhaps mend a broken relationship with her estranged sister, Ruth has only one shot at making it right.

Alongside Bullock are the talented Jon Bernthal, Viola Davis, Vincent D’Onofrio, Richard Thomas, Linda Emond, Aisling Franciosi and Rob Morgan. “The Unforgivable” is set to release in theaters on Nov. 26 and be available for streaming on Netflix on Dec. 10.

“Don’t Look Up”

Don’t Look Up” stars an ensemble cast of Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep. A quick glimpse may prompt the thought that too many well-known people are in this movie, and therefore, it will be a disappointment. But, let’s not count our chickens before they hatch, as “Don’t Look Up” has a decent chance of winning audiences over with its alleged dark comedy. 

The sci-fi black comedy story’s premise begins with astronomers played by Lawrence and DiCaprio. They are on a global-media tour to warn the public that a comet will crash into and destroy the Earth. Additional celebrity A-listers set to star in the film include Timothée Chalamet, Tyler Perry, Cate Blanchett, Chris Evans, Rob Morgan and even Ariana Grande. So why am I intuiting “This Is the End” vibes? Anyway, “Don’t Look Up” streams on Netflix on Dec. 24.

“Stay Close

Stay Close” is an upcoming British crime drama based on the 2012 Harlan Coben novel of the same name. The press for the series has remained quite strange and withholding, as there is little content to learn from. The narrative is about three individuals whose secrets become intertwined, triggering chaos. 

Broome, played by James Nesbitt, is a detective who hasn’t fully let go of a cold case. Next, there’s Cush Kumbo who portrays Megan, a working mother of three children; lastly, Richard Armitage plays the character Ray, an ex-gifted photographer who is now working at a dead-end job. 

“Stay Close” seems poised to reveal aspects of secrets and how the leading characters will solve their rather significant problems. Will there be a betrayal? Manipulation? Murder? The truth will come out on Dec. 31 only on Netflix.

Whether it feels like November just started or is basically over, don’t dismiss the November releases on Netflix as well. Who could say no to “Big Mouth,” “Snakes on a Plane,” “Passing,” “The Harder They Fall,” “Tiger King” and so many other fruitful options? So, enjoy your November, but stay excited for the December releases.

Tori Walz, Eastern Michigan University

Tori Walz

Eastern Michigan University
English with a Concentration in Professional Writing

Hi I am Tori and I am glad to be here. :)