YOU season 2 image released by Netflix for Megan Thompson's article

‘YOU’ Brings Chills This Holiday With the Release of Season 2

Viewers can anticipate a new Joe as he traverses Los Angeles looking for his next victim.

Netflix original series have become more popular over the years as the streaming service begins to take on larger competitors. While some of the Netflix-curated television shows have fallen flat, others have taken pop culture by storm. “YOU,” now owned by Netflix, has captivated its audience since its debut on the Lifetime network in 2018.

Adopting a plot alluring to many today, the television show portrays a protagonist similar to Ted Bundy. This protagonist is, in fact, what makes “YOU” so addictive. In a society enthralled by the history of American serial killers, the series serves as a perfect fictional companion for many of the documentaries subscribers can find on Netflix.

After Season 1 of the series left off with a shocking end as well as a plot twist, viewers were left wanting more. Luckily, after the series was bought by Netflix, “YOU” has been renewed for a second season. Coming as a late Christmas present for fans of the television show, “YOU” Season 2 will be released on Dec. 26 on Netflix. With new information being released almost daily about the second installment of the series, what can viewers expect from it?

Joe has a new name

The teaser for the second season of “YOU” takes viewers on a journey alongside Joe as he explores his new city: Los Angeles. Poking fun at an influencer and throwing shade at a hippie surfer for enjoying their gluten-free muffin, viewers realize that Joe is just as pleasant as always.

Toward the end of the official trailer, after a philosophical musing on the culture of LA, it is revealed that Joe is no longer Joe. “That’s the thing about LA. Everyone is pretending to be somebody they’re not.” Yes, that’s right. Joe is now Will. Clearly, this means nothing but trouble.

Netflix gives viewers some first images

First-look images provided by Netflix reveal Joe has chosen someone for his new obsession. Her name is Love. Isn’t that ironic? In addition to Joe’s newest fixation, viewers are given some glimpses of Candace. If you don’t remember who Candace is, here’s a reminder: Candace is Joe’s ex-girlfriend, from before Beck, who we were led to believe was murdered by Joe much like Beck was. Looking a little too comfortable around Joe, it’s a surprising twist for many fans of the series. Is there more to Candace than what was originally believed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VhIv1BbPe/?utm_source=ig_embed

Some other images released by Netflix depict Joe in his natural habitat: stalking his next victim. More surprisingly, it seems that Joe has been making some friends in LA. Too bad that this friendship will end up with a few lost lives. But going back to Love (the character), it seems that Joe has achieved a little more character development, specifically as to how Joe behaves when he first comes in contact with Love.

“It’s not that simple love-at-first-sight he might’ve been looking for a couple of years ago,” showrunner Sera Gamble said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “He’s a different guy. He’s been through more. The circumstances of his encounter with Love are very informed by what he went through with Beck.”

Joe’s new obsession is NOTHING like Beck

Given a brief introduction to Love, viewers realize that she is the polar opposite of Beck. An aspiring chef working as a produce manager at a high-end grocery store, Love is very warmhearted and laid back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5k-DfshYnP/?utm_source=ig_embed

Gamble explained to Entertainment Weekly, “Like her name, she’s very warm and there is a carefree aspect to her spirit that really comes from the fact that she has constructed a life for herself that’s about being in the moment and doing what she loves every day.” However, viewers can assume that Joe won’t be immediately pursuing a romantic connection with Love after the self-inflicted trauma (obviously his own fault) following his ill-fated relationship with Beck.

Gamble explains the situation as true heartbreak for Joe. A statement that seems quite unbelievable considering the fact that Joe ended Beck’s life. “I will say that Love is a person he could only have met after what happened between him and Beck,” Gamble said. “Joe is not out there looking for love. He’s truly heartbroken by what has happened, so what [Love] offers is a different kind of friendship and a different kind of relationship.”

Still the same old Joe

After everything that transpired in the first season of the Netflix original show, many would think that Joe would turn away from his violent past. Well, they would be mistaken to give Joe any hope in turning over a new leaf. According to Gamble, Joe is still trying to play himself off as the “good guy” with a very warped moral conscience.

“I can’t say he’s fully reformed,” Gamble said in an interview with Digital Spy. “It isn’t like he’s getting shelter dogs adopted in season two. He’s doing some pretty crazy sh-t.” Gamble also implied that Joe will be turning his crazy up a notch in the new season. Fans of “YOU” can expect more blood, gore and thriller meant to leave viewers shaking with fear. Be sure to keep your doors locked and blinds closed. You never know who may be watching.