4 Reasons Idris Elba Would Be the Perfect James Bond

His name is Elba, Idris Elba.

A new 007 might be coming to town.

Packed with fast-paced action, thrilling secret agent showdowns, and romantic flings, the “James Bond” franchise is arguably the most well-known spy movie series in film history.

Right now, British actor Daniel Craig plays the role of everyone’s favorite gentleman operative. However, he may be ready to hand over the baton to another worthy actor in the near future.

Rumor has it this new Bond could be Idris Elba. The producers of the “Bond” films seem to have decided that the streak of straight, white male Bonds needs to come to an end. Even if it’s still speculation, here are some reasons why Elba would make the perfect 007.

1. He can rock a suit.

James Bond is the quintessential secret agent. This means he must always be the epitome of class and swagger, emanating that signature cool confidence foremost from his attire. The secret agent is known for sporting Tom Ford suits — whether he is partaking in a high speed car chase or flirting with a lady at a bar, he has to look good.

Happily, Idris Elba looks fantastic in a suit, and exudes the poise and presence the role requires.

2. He’s not new to dealing with criminals.

Idris Elba stars in the critically acclaimed TV series “Luther,” in which he plays the role of a high-level detective who works for the Metropolitan Police Service.

Elba has received multiple Golden Globe nominations and awards for his portrayal of the main character, John Luther. His character is celebrated for his ability to dissect crimes and passion for his career, making him a vital addition to the London police force. Well, I think it’s about time he got a promotion, perhaps to the British secret service. The MI6 is ready. 

3. He’s got musical talent.

This connection may not seem clear at first, so let me explain. Every Bond film has a theme song. For example, Sam Smith’s “Writing’s on the Wall” for “Spectre” or Adele’s “Skyfall” for “Skyfall.”

So, imagine this. How iconic would it be if the newest song featured a killer rap verse. Now not only does this rap verse exist, but it is performed by James Bond himself. I absolutely need this to happen.

Elba is not just an actor. he’s also a hip-hop artist and DJ with an extensive musical history. The multi-talent has recorded several EPs and music albums, while also collaborating with artists like Jay-Z, Macklemore, James Blake and more. With Elba as Bond, this 007 rap verse just becomes more possible.

4. He’s already tweeting like Bond.

This past weekend, Elba’s fans went crazy when he addressed the speculation surrounding his potential new role on twitter. Putting a simple twist on Bond’s catchphrase, he tweeted “my name’s Elba, Idris Elba.”

He then followed it with a tweet that said “Don’t believe the HYPE…” a couple hours later, a seemingly cryptic contradiction to his previous post. He’s already got the mysteriousness of a spy down.

Idris Elba, your suit awaits.

Maya Ramani, University of Virginia

Maya Ramani

University of Virginia