Here’s What We Know About ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 15

Yes, the show is still around and yes, it is still thriving.

Grey’s Anatomy” will be making its return to television with Season 15 on Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. with a two-hour-long premiere. According to its website, this is “ABC’s longest-running prime-time drama series.”

The show went through many transitions, especially after the departure of several of the original main characters, including Callie Torres (Sara Ramirez), Christina Yang (Sandra Oh), Izzie Stevens (Katherine Heigl), Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh) and Dr. Preston Burke (Isaiah Washington).

Creator Shonda Rhimes then went on to kill off George O’Malley (T.R. Knight), Lexie Grey (Chyler Leigh), Mark “McSteamy” Sloan (Eric Dane) and Derek “McDreamy” Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey), leaving fans wondering how the show would ever be the same without the most prominent and impactful doctors.

After the announcement that April Kepner (Sarah Drew) and Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw) would be leaving the show, fans continued to speculate what the future of the series would bring. At the end of Season 14, viewers could connect the storyline to their departure. Lucky for Kepner and Robbins, Rhimes didn’t kill either of the characters off.

Robbins revealed she is moving to New York with her daughter, Sofia, in order to be closer to Callie. Kepner has a rougher exit, but she fortunately survives a car crash with Matthew, gets married, and decides to work with her new husband to provide healthcare to homeless communities in Seattle.

With two more doctors leaving, what new characters and on-screen adventures will abound in Season 15?

For starters, the show will be seeing a familiar face, as Thatcher Grey (Jeff Perry), who plays Meredith’s father, will make his return. This will be his first appearance in the series since Season 7.

“Grey’s Anatomy” will also be welcoming a new cast member to the Grey Sloan Memorial Team. Chris Carmack, who is known for his role in “Nashville,” will be the newest orthopedic surgeon at the hospital.

Even after two weddings in the previous season finale, this upcoming season has been called the “season of love” by executive producer Krista Vernoff.

While Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) is going to be working hard to balance her crazy schedule, fans may see some type of romantic relationship for Meredith, though she will be more focused on other aspects of her life.

Channing Dungey, the president of ABC entertainment, said “Meredith [is going to] have a new trajectory that is more focused on who she is as a single mother and surgeon — including her ‘emotional’ investigation into a medical condition that is very close to her own family background and history. Ellen has spoken very loudly about how she doesn’t want all of Meredith’s adventures to be romantic ones.”

At the end of Season 14, viewers are left with many questions about the relationship status between Owen Hunt (Kevin McKidd) and Amelia Shepherd (Caterina Scorsone). They seem to be falling in love again and are even questioned abut their relationship status, but deny their feelings to both the other characters and themselves.

Teddy Altman (Kim Raver) returns and asks for a job at the hospital, only to get the position of interim chief of surgery as Dr. Bailey takes some time to de-stress and focus on innovative research and surgery. But that isn’t the biggest surprise of her return. It was revealed at the end of Season 14 that the cardiothoracic surgeon is expecting. The last time we saw Altman with any relations was when Hunt visited her in Germany — and that didn’t end too well. So, things are about to get complicated, as this is most likely Hunt’s baby.

Don’t miss out on the new, drama filled, romantic season of “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Alexis Rogers, Temple University

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish