The cast of ABC's new courtroom drama, "For the People." (Image via imdb.com)

Presenting ABC’s New Tuesday Night Drama, ‘For the People’

Do you binge watch shows like 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'How to Get Away with Murder' or 'Scandal?' If so, you may want to check out ABC's new courtroom drama 'For the People.'

Looking for a new show to watch? You may want to take a look at “For the People,” the newest brainchild of Shonda Rhimes, who worked on “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal,” “Private Practice” and “How to Get Away With Murder,” to name just a few series. 

“For the People” takes place in the New York City court system, following the everyday cases and problems of brand-new lawyers. As with some of the other works of Rhimes’s production company Shondaland, especially “Grey’s Anatomy,” viewers can find several different story lines that somehow all cross paths.

From the beginning of the very first episode, viewers see the distinct personalities of each of the first-day lawyers. It’s obvious from the get-go how each of the characters will function in the group; the viewers get to see which of the young lawyers are desperately trying to be the best, which of them actually is the best, and which ones are simply arrogant.

Of course, strong female characters, especially leads, are familiar territory for Shondaland productions. In “For the People,” we see woman take charge in the courtroom. The characters deal with the struggles of being career women, and have to learn to put their personal lives on the line for their clients and their firms.

Viewers can even learn a little bit about the United Stated judicial system from watching the show. If you are an avid Grey’s Anatomy fan, you may find yourself trying to think like a doctor after a while. It seems as though the same can be said for anyone watching “For the People.”

The writers of the show do a wonderful job of incorporating the terms and scenarios that an actual lawyer would deal with. Also, the show gives a first-hand account of criminal law from all sides; that way, the viewers get to experience the cases from the perspective of both the prosecution and the defense.

For anyone interested in courtroom dramas, it’s interesting to see the similarities and differences between the two sides of the courtroom.

In addition, as the show continues viewers most likely will get to see personal stories of the main characters and learn why exactly they chose to work for either the prosecution or defensive side of the law. And of course, love is an underlying theme of the show, for anyone who needs their fictional romances to live.

In the first episode, viewers met two characters who were already dating. The couple goes along a rollercoaster of emotions in just one episode, so it’s clear to see that they will have their fair share of ups and downs throughout the season.

Previews and trailers for later episodes give peeks into even more love stories to come. Some of which even allude to possible relationships between lawyers working on different levels.

If this sounds at all interesting to you, “For the People” airs on ABC every Tuesday night at 10 p.m. EST.

Taylor Miller, SUNY Cortland

Taylor Miller

SUNY Cortland
Communication Studies