The Crown

Everything You Need to Know About ‘The Crown’ Season 3

What awaits Queen Elizabeth II in the groovy 1970s?

Netflix recently announced they would be releasing a third season of their Golden Globe-winning series “The Crown,” the historical drama that centers around the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

“The Crown” opened the back doors to Buckingham Palace in 2016, giving viewers a rare glimpse of the Queen’s life beneath her crown and her vulnerabilities. This, of course, was warranted, seeing as she took the throne at age 25, after her father, King George VI, passed away from lung cancer.

While ascending to the throne in 1952, Elizabeth also juggled her roles as a mother and a wife. This set the premise for the last season of “The Crown,” which explored their turbulent relationship between the Queen and her husband, Prince Philip, in the late 1950s through the early 1960s. It can’t be easy having a wife who is the reigning monarch of England while constantly being reminded of your limitations as a prince.

There’s also the fact that their children were rejected his surname in place of hers. “I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his children,” Prince Philip said, according to a biography of Queen Elizabeth II by Sally Bedell Smith.

Season 2 also documented the events that led up to the wedding between Princess Margaret and Earl of Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, while also showing the resignation of Winston Churchill as prime minister. What’s next in the timeline for the Queen and her court?

Here’s everything you need to know about Season 3 of “The Crown.”

Is there a trailer?

As of right now, Netflix has not released a trailer for Season 3 of “The Crown.” However, Netflix has released numerous behind-the-scenes images from the upcoming season. In the images, fans get a glimpse of the new cast portraying the royals.

The Premise of Season 3

Jumping right into the groovy 1970s, Season 3 will cover the next decade of the Queen’s ruling. Both the Queen and her husband will be in their 50s. While the first two seasons primarily focused on the Queen and how she managed her ascent to the throne, as well as her marriage, it looks like the upcoming season will shed some light on the younger members of the royal family, along with some of the bigger events that occurred during that time period.

Prince Charles will have a more prominent role in Season 3, after being crowned the Prince of Wales by his mother in 1969. Suzanne Mackie, a producer for the show, revealed in 2017 that the latest series will also introduce Camilla Shand (also known as Camilla Parker Bowles), who Prince Charles met at a polo match in 1971.

Although they met in the mid-70s, Charles and Camilla didn’t get together until 1986. Aside from Prince Charles’ personal life, Season 3 will also focus on Princess Margaret’s eight-year affair and the royal break-up between her and her husband, the Earl of Snowdon. If anything is clear, Margaret just never seems content.

Season 3 will also cover major events like the Aberfan tragedy, in which 116 children and 28 adults died in the Welsh village when a colliery spoil tip collapsed in October 1966. Other events include the decolonization of Africa and the Caribbean, along with Harold Wilson’s time as prime minister of England and the Apollo 11 moon landing.

While Camilla Shand was slated to appear in Season 3, the upcoming season will also introduce Lady Diana Spencer, who will be more prominent in the fourth season, which is set during Margaret Thatcher’s premiership.

The Cast

Because the Queen and her court will be much older than they were during the last two seasons, a whole new cast as been selected to fit the timeline. Replacing Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II is Olivia Colman, who was the first new cast member to be announced. Colman won a best actress Oscar this year for “The Favourite,” and a Golden Globe in 2017 for best supporting actress for her role in “The Night Manager.”

Known for his work on “Outlander” and “Game of Thrones,” Tobias Menzies will portray Prince Philip in Season 3.

The enchanting Helena Bonham Carter has been confirmed to play Princess Margaret in Season 3 and Season 4, after Vanessa Kirby played her for two seasons. Kirby teased the casting in January with a cryptic Instagram post of herself and Bonham Carter, with the caption “Honoured @thecrownnetflix.

Playing Princess Margaret’s husband, the Earl of Snowdon is Ben Daniels of “Jesus Christ Superstar Live,” “House of Cards” and “The Exorcist Fame.” Apparently Daniels is “beyond thrilled” to play the part and was glued to the first two seasons since the show began.

Making his first appearance as an adult, Prince Charles will be played by “God’s Own Country” actor Josh O’Connor. He joked that the reason he got the role because he had the “ears for the part and will fit right in.”

Emerald Fennell will portray Camilla Shand, the woman Prince Charles had an affair with while married to Princess Diana. She would later become his second wife.

“I’m absolutely over the moon, and completely terrified, to be joining so many hugely talented people on The Crown,” Fennell said. “I absolutely love Camilla, and am very grateful that my teenage years have well prepared me for playing a chain-smoking serial snogger with a pudding bowl haircut.”

Although the beloved and iconic Princess Diana isn’t set to make an appearance in the upcoming season, it’s excited to know that she’s been cast. Emma Corrin will make her debut as Lady Diana Spencer in Season 4.

Release Date

Netflix has yet to confirm the date, but in a letter to investors following its first-quarter financial results, it revealed that “The Crown”‘s latest series would debut after July 1. In my opinion, they should at least give viewers a trailer while they wait.