Cartoon Enthusiasts, Prepare Yourselves for ‘Disenchantment’ Season 2

Get ready to return to Dreamland.

Matt Groening, creator of “The Simpsons” and “Futurama,” has officially been given the greenlight to produce Season 2 of his Netflix series “Disenchantment,” a fantasy-animated comedy.

Although Season 1 of the sitcom wasn’t met with the best reviews, it still garnered praise from critics, with some reminding viewers that the show’s previous predecessors didn’t peak until further seasons. “Futurama,” a prime example of this, wasn’t received positively when it first came out. The futuristic comedy was cancelled after four seasons, and made a comeback with four movies, while gaining an additional three seasons in the process. So don’t be surprised if “Disenchantment” surprises you; keep in mind, it’s following in the footsteps of two hilarious shows, one of which is going into Season 30.

While its reviews were mixed, Groening’s medieval-fantasy sitcom did receive decent ratings, at least enough for a round-trip ticket to Dreamland. “We’re excited to continue this epic journey with Netflix,” said Groening. “Stay tuned for more cranked-up suspense, infuriating plot twists and beloved characters getting knocked off.”

Here’s what both fans and critics can look forward to in the upcoming season.

What is “Disenchantment”?

The show follows buck-toothed Princess Tiabeanie Mariabeanie de la Rochambeau Grunkwitz (that’s a mouthful), Bean for short, of the kingdom of Dreamland. She’s not your traditional damsel-in-distress or well-mannered princess for that matter, as Bean enjoys pounding down one drink too many and continuously defying her father, King Zog. She’s basically every rebellious teenager.

She’s seen throughout the show avoiding the duties of a princess with a chaotic cat-like demon named Luci and an elf named Elfo from Elfwood. This band of misfits’ ventures throughout the land, trying to find their purpose in life amid the crumbling kingdom of Dreamland.

What to Expect

While there isn’t too much information available about “Disenchantment” Season 2 yet, Season 1 of the show left audiences to wonder about specific story details. Season 1 ended on a massive cliffhanger that left open one too many questions.

The biggest question revolves around Bean, who left with her not-so-dead mother, Queen Dagmar, on a ship filled with all kinds of creatures. It’s apparent that Bean is crucial to whatever Dagmar is plotting, but why? All that’s known is that it has something to do with her destiny in some dark battle dating back hundreds of centuries. As if being a teenager wasn’t hard enough.

But it’s not just Bean’s destiny that’s a mystery waiting to be solved in Season 2. Elfo discovered that he isn’t a full-blooded elf — he’s only half. His mother’s lifeform has yet to be discovered, or has it? Toward the end of the last episode, Elfo’s body is being whisked away by mermaids! Could Elfo be a mer-elf? Or maybe that’s what Groening wants you to think.

And what of poor Luci, the chain-smoking demon? The demon who looks like a cat is seen being kidnapped just as Queen Dagmar is turning all of Dreamland into stone. Could it be Big Jo, who was seen twice trying to rid the world of the little guy?

Other questions that have surfaced are minimal, but might be crucial to the plot of the show, such as where did Queen Oona and Bean’s stepbrother, Princes Derek run off too? Will Queen Oona bring back an army now that King Zog wanted to be done with her? Speaking of King Zog, that man is in deep s—t with Queen Oona after deciding he wanted Queen Dagmar over her. I’m still reeling over King Zog calling Oona “Reptilica.” Anyway, jokes on him, Dagmar wanted him out since day

Why Dagmar wanted to turn Zog into stone is still unclear. All these questions will be announced right away in Season 2, that’s for sure, along with more “Futurama” and “The Simpsons” references like in the Season 1.

Aside from the plot, Season 2 of “Disenchantment” will feature 10 episodes. Netflix handed out a two-season renewal with Groening. The order is for 20 additional episodes total, matching the initial pick-up for the series and taking it through four seasons of 10 episodes. Season 2, which is the second half of its initial order, will air this year. Season 3 and Season 4 will air in 2020 and 2021, respectively.

Who’s Coming Back?

The entire kingdom of Dreamland is stoned, and not in the psychedelic-trip version. Literally, everyone is made of stone with the exception of King Zog, who watched as he was betrayed by his beloved Queen Dagmar.

It’s guaranteed that the main cast of the show will return, who include Abbi Jacobson (Bean), Eric Andre (Luci), John DiMaggio (King Zog), Tress MacNeille (Queen Oona) and Sharon Horgan (Queen Dagmar). Nat Faxon, who voiced the loveable Elfo, may or may not return, seeing as the green elf is considered dead. If you’ve watched enough cartoons, you know that half-elf isn’t quite dead. Honestly, I believe he’s going to make a comeback in the most amazing, yet hilarious way possible.

As of right now, it’s not known if Billy West and Maurice LaMarche will return as Sorcerio and Odval, seeing as how they were also turned to stone, even though the actors voice a wide-variety of minor characters on the show. There’s also Prince Merkimer, voiced by Matt Berry, a prince-turned-pig who ended up getting turned into a stone-statue as well. I’m really hoping there’s a cure for this Medusa-esque curse.

Get ready to return to the stony kingdom of Dreamland, as “Disenchantment” will be available to stream on Netflix sometime this year.