A scene from 'Crash Landing on You'

Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin Fall in Love While Filming the K-Drama ‘Crash Landing On You’

After miraculously meeting again to work on a second project together, the two stars are referring to their relationship as an act of fate.

Actors Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin first collaborated on the set of the 2018 movie “The Negotiation,” a film about “a crisis negotiation team’s best negotiator Ha Chae Yoon (Son Ye Jin) who tries to save her boss [who is being] held hostage by a captor named Min Tae Kyu (Hyun Bin).” Hints of romance between the two appeared at the start: According to an interview, Son said that Hyun Bin is the type of guy that actresses fall head over heels for, and that he has “really great skin and hair.” Son made an impression on Hyun Bin as well, who shared that he was surprised that she cut her hair for her role in “The Negotiation” because she had another project after the film. “She cut her hair anyway, and she must have gotten some grief from her follow-up project. It was really motivating for me. What could I do [to be on the same level as her]?” asked Hyun Bin.

On Sept. 22, 2018, Son posted a selfie with Hyun Bin on her Instagram account, and fans started speculating that they were in a relationship.

On Sept. 25, 2018, just seven days after its release, “The Negotiation” sold over a million tickets. The actors celebrated Chuseok together, which is the Korean equivalent of Thanksgiving Day.

Flash forward to 2019, and the two stars were rumored to have traveled abroad to Los Angeles. However, the actor’s agency said: “Hyun Bin went to the United States for business and his personal schedule. It is not true that they are traveling together.” Later, they were reported to have gone grocery shopping together, but his agency also denied this, saying that they just met up after discovering they were both in California.

In April 2019, Son and Hyun Bin made their first public appearance together after being caught up in dating rumors. They attended an event celebrating the 10th anniversary of a cosmetics brand.

In May 2019, it was confirmed that they would be working together in the K-drama “Crash Landing on You.” Hyun Bin said that he only took the project because he wanted to work with Son again. “I wanted to try acting with her in the same space, making eye contact, and breathing the same air, and that opportunity came quickly.”

On December 14, 2019, “Crash Landing on You” premiered, and thanks to the show, the two got to know each other better and eventually became a couple. In a press conference, Son said: “It’s rare for actors to meet again in another project, so I think this is fate. Hyun Bin is flawlessly suited to his character in the drama. Our chemistry, too.”

In January 2021, the “Crash Landing on You” stars confirmed that they were in a relationship. They developed feelings for each other in March 2020, which was after “Crash Landing on You” ended. They bonded over their love for golf. Son said she is “thankful to have been able to meet a good person and that she’ll work hard to tend the relationship with care.”

They announced their engagement on Feb. 10, 2022, and they were married in Seoul, on March 31.

In June 2022, the two stars announced that they were expecting their first child. Son posted on Instagram: “Everyone, I wanted to share some precious news with you today. A new life has found us. I’m so grateful but also cautious and haven’t told people until now. We will protect the precious life that came to us. I hope you stay healthy. Please be happy.”

Their on-screen love has turned into real love, and we can’t wait to see where life takes them.

Morgan Thomas, Wayne State University

Morgan Thomas

Wayne State University
Print and Online Journalism

My name is Morgan Thomas and I am a senior at Wayne State University. I am majoring in print and online journalism and I have a minor in film.