From the looks of Season 3's trailer, (stranger) things are going down in Hawkins this summer. (Image via Parade)

A Scene-by-Scene Breakdown of the ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3 Trailer

What big things are happening in the little town of Hawkins?

Immediately after Netflix released the full-length trailer for “Stranger Things” Season 3, fans went wild. The 150-second clip soon went viral, amassing over 22 million views, making it Netflix’s most popular video since Season 2’s trailer back in 2017.

The trailer hinted at what’s to come for the plucky heroes of Hawkins, Indiana, and it doesn’t disappoint. The Duffer Brothers weren’t lying when they said, “While it’s out most fun season, it also turns out to be our grossest season.” The clip is full of exciting and captivating shots, powerful character moments and the many horrors to come. It literally gets more terrifying the more you watch it.

There’s a lot going on in the full-length trailer and only so much that is actually quite important. So, in brief, here’s the big stuff to look out for in Season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG3bmU_WaI

Welcome Home, Dustin

Season 3’s trailer kicks off with Dustin Henderson (Gaten Matarazzo) returning home from summer camp, “Camp Know Where,” as shown on his T-shirt. At first, Dustin feels bummed that nobody missed him, save for Yertle the Turtle, who seems happy that he’s home. Unbeknownst to Dustin, his friends planned a surprise party to welcome him back from camp.

Dustin is later seen shocked and terrified as his toys come to life, luring him out of his bedroom. It’s soon revealed by a bloody nose that Eleven is moving the robots in order for the gang to surprise Dustin, welcoming him home. When they yell surprise, he screams and sprays Farrah Fawcett hair spray in Lucas’ face. Poor Lucas, but they should all know by now, it’s probably not a good idea to surprise someone who has been traumatized by a Demogorgon and a pack of Demodogs. At least now Dustin knows he was missed.

Later, the gang is seen journeying up a hill together to set up makeshift antenna. Their reason for putting it up could be for a variety of reasons. Maybe it’s to communicate at longer distances with their walkie-talkies? Or it has to do with Episode 1 of Season 3 titled “Suzie, Do You Copy?” Who is Suzie? Maybe she’s someone Dustin met at summer camp. Or, it could have something to do with the weird lightning machine that’s seen later in the trailer and will definitely have everything to do with the Upside Down.

Meet the Lifeguards

The Hawkins pool is open for splishy-splashy fun and there’s not one, but two lifeguards. One of them is the notorious, big-time Billy Hargrove (Dacre Montgomery), a minor antagonist from “Stranger Things” Season 2. He’s seen making eye contact with Heather (Francesca Reale), who is described as “A popular lifeguard at the Hawkins Community Pool, who becomes a centerpiece of a dark mystery.”

A previous teaser clip revealed that Episode 3 is titled, “The Case of the Missing Lifeguard.” Is Heather that missing lifeguard?

Speaking of Billy, it seems he has contracted some bizarre, Upside Down-like infection, which screams Mind Flayer, the malevolent presence looming over Hawkins. Actually, it looks more like he was bitten by something. If the Mind Flayer can’t control Will, maybe it will control and turn Billy via bite? The better question is, what bit at his arm? Either way, stay clear of Billy.

A Date, Dorky Greetings and The Hawkins Post

Chief Jim Hopper (David Harbour), now a father, is seen all dressed-up and sitting at a table made for two, alone. With the kids growing up, perhaps it’s time for him and Joyce Byers (Winona Rider) to finally start living and focus on themselves. Or would Joyce prefer to slum it at home? Something seems to be troubling her in the clip.

Maybe Hopper gets her out of the house or she’s the one he’s on a date with and they end up together. At this point in “Stranger Things,” anything is possible.

There’s also the friendship between “the best babysitter ever,” Steve Harrington (Joe Keery), and Dustin, which was one of the best elements of “Stranger Things” Season 2. By the looks of it, the duo is back at it again in Season 3. Since graduating high school, Steve can be seen serving up ice cream at his new job, Scoops Ahoy, along with his co-worker, Robin (Maya Thurman-Hawke).

Robin is described as “an alternative girl who is equal parts sharp and playful. Bored with her mundane day job, she just wants a little excitement in her life … and gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers a dark secret in Hawkins.” Robin isn’t impressed by Steve and Dustin’s greeting, which appears throughout the trailer and seems very elaborate.

What are Nancy Wheeler (Natalia Dyer) and Jonathon (Charlie Heaton) doing at the local newspaper, The Hawkins Post? They’re both dressed rather nicely and waiting in what appears in the reception area. Seeing as they’re both high school graduates, chances are they’re applying for jobs or internships. I think Jonathon would be perfect for local news since he’s an avid photographer. This is also a great way to meet Bruce (Jake Busey), a reporter at The Hawkins Post.

When fans are introduced to Bruce, he doesn’t look well. According to “Stranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down,” Bruce’s character is described as “a journalist for the The Hawkins Post, with questionable morals and a sick sense of humor.” It seems likely that Bruce will end up being a minor antagonist, who meets his fate in Season 3. In one shot he is seen bloodied, wearing a maniacal grin and it looks like he may be a hospital where Jonathan is with new monster from the Upside Down. Instead of Billy, could Bruce end up transforming into the monster? Maybe there will be more than one monster.

What’s Wrong, Will?

If being chased by a Demogorgon and mind-controlled by the Mind Flayer wasn’t enough, poor Will Byers (Noah Schnapp) can’t seem to get a break. The kid literally went from hell and back and now it looks like he might be leaving Hawkins and his friends behind. He’s shown in the trailer crying over photos of himself and his best friends, which leads to the shot where Michael “Mike” Wheeler (Finn Wolfhard) is looking at the Byers home. It looks dark and empty, as if they don’t live there anymore. Is that why Joyce is so down?

Later in the trailer, Hopper says, “I want you to feel like this can still be your home,” and then there’s an immediate cut to Joyce. It’s possible that after everything Joyce has gone through, she’s considering moving far away and taking Will with her. The woman did watch her boyfriend, Bob Newby, get torn to shreds by Demodogs. Who can blame her?

Battle at the Starcourt Mall

The Season 3 Finale is titled “The Battle of Starcourt,” which means the new mall will be the site of the ultimate showdown between the heroes of Hawkins and whatever baddies the Mind Flayer tosses at them. The whole gang is seen running through the mall, sliding down stalled escalators and some appear to be injured, like Jonathon and Steve. Eleven has blood running down both nostrils, showing she has used her powers to its limits.

Like the poster, what exactly is everyone looking at? Is it the terrifying creature or maybe Eleven’s sister, Eight, has made a return to help out? It’s not sure if her sister will make a debut or not, but fans can only hope.

Eleven

The young experiment is seen, in numerous shots of the trailer, in the void. The void is a kind of psychic landscape that Eleven is able to reach through sensory deprivation and concentration. A bathtub is seen collapsing beneath her, and she looks as if she’s drowning in the inky blackness, then Eleven appears to be falling through the darkness.

Based on her clothing, it seems as though this takes place during the scene when Eleven is blindfolded in front her favorite food, Eggos in the Starcourt Mall.

The New Monster

The Upside Down is one gruesome place, with monsters galore. In Season 1, there was the Demogorgon and in Season 2, Dustin’s pet, Dart-Mews should be avenged. Now Season 3 of “Stranger Things” brings out the ugliest monster yet.

It is revealed later in the trailer in what looks like something out of John Carpenter’s 1982 horror-classic “The Thing.” The beast appears to be growing, transforming into the hideous monster with limbs of varying lengths and a mouth full of sharp teeth. Viewers can also see that Jonathon is in the same corridor with this mutating menace. Run, Jonathon, run!

Fans should expect much more than what the trailer reveals. It looks like this season of “Stranger Things” will be fun, like the Duffer Brothers have stated, but also intense and thrilling.

School’s (almost) out for the summer, and “Stranger Things” Season 3 will premiere on July 4.