Star Wars: The Mandalorian

9 TV Shows You Have to Watch in 2019

What a time it is to be a TV-watcher.

Love to watch TV? Remember the days before streaming, when all we had to choose from was what was available on network TV? Well, it’s a brave new world now, and we have so many more choices when it comes to content.

2019 is ramping up to be a stellar year for television, with way more to choose from than we could ever watch — even if we recorded some to binge watch later. There just aren’t enough hours in the day.

Without further ado, here are my TV viewing choices for 2019. Some shows are tried and true, others yet to be tried and new.

1. Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Disney+)

This one is brand new and, while it’s confirmed for a release later this year, we don’t have an official date yet. And if you’re thinking, huh? What’s Disney+? It’s Disney’s new streaming service, and it seems as though this new series will be a flagship of sorts for them.

Just so you know where this takes place in the order of all things “Star Wars” — dare I say in the same space-time continuum? “The Mandalorian” is set after the Empire falls and before the First Order emerges.

2. The Twilight Zone (CBS All Access)

The original version of “The Twilight Zone” premiered in the ’50s, way before our time. There was a reboot in the ’80s, so this upcoming 2019 production is technically reboot No. 2. I’ve seen some of the original reruns and this series was fantastic, even in grainy black and white. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for the new season.

Before I go further, I should mention that a lot of these series are going to be on Netflix or other streaming services, which means that the shows might not be available in your area. But don’t worry, I have you covered. Do some research on VPNs, especially a VPN for Netflix.

Then you can watch any of these shows no matter where you live. You simply access Netflix content via servers located around the world. Match the location to the country where your content is being distributed, and you’re good to go.

3. Black Mirror (Netflix)

Stand-alone episodes instead of a series. Often creepy, always suspenseful, a deep-dive into techno-paranoia over the encroaching technology we face today.

4. Veep (HBO)

For no other reason than I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus and this is the last season of the show. Okay, not true. There are more reasons.

Are you just plain sick of politics? This political satire can be hilariously funny.

And of course, if you’re on HBO, you don’t want to miss last episodes of “Game of Thrones.” The easiest way to get on this train is probably to use a VPN and access HBO in a hurry.

5. Stranger Things (Netflix)

Science fiction. Top secret government labs. Sinister monsters. Portals to another world. A missing boy and the appearance of an odd young girl on the run from “bad men.” All set in the 1980s Midwest.

6. The Crown (Netflix)

You might not be much of a history buff, or have an interest in the British monarchy, but there’s just something about this series. The costumes, the jewels, the panoramas. Maybe Claire Foy?

I don’t know the answer, but I do know I’m, for some reason, captivated by a show that should otherwise bore me to death. Try it. You might like it too.

7. The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

I don’t read science fiction or space opera, but “The Expanse” is my number one go-to for movies and TV. The series is based on a series of books by James S. A. Corey and is now in its fourth season. It originally started out on the Syfy channel but seemed doomed there. Fortunately, Amazon picked it up, and it’s still live.

The series is set 200 years in the future in a colonized solar system, which, of course, is on the brink of war. It’s must-watch TV.

8. Lost in Space (Netflix)

The original series was before my times, so I’m thinking of checking out this one.

The series is set only 30 years in the future, and the Robinson family gets — well, lost in space. They end up on a planet far off the course of their original destination, and Will, the youngest, makes friends with a sentient robot. Seems plausible.

9. Mr. Robot (Foxtel)

You all knew this was going to be on my list, didn’t you? Hacker? Cyber-security engineer?

Okay, he also suffers from clinical depression and has a social anxiety disorder, but this has been an excellent show. Unfortunately, it will be ending with Season 4.