4 Shows You Need to Binge Watch on Netflix This Month

While navigating the complex world of online television, consider putting these shows on your map.

Remember the days when you would come home after a long day of school and watch your favorite television show?

You would run home from the bus stop just to catch the beginning of your favorite Disney or Nickelodeon show. Or, you would snuggle up at night and watch the latest episode of “Gossip Girl” or “Grey’s Anatomy.” Nowadays, hardly anyone watches regular television shows. You know, the ones with long commercial breaks where you have to wait a whole week to see what happens next. Those days are long gone now with streaming services such as Netflix.

Now, you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want and wherever you want. In today’s entertainment culture, it’s all about having whatever you want to watch right at your fingertips. No more annoying commercials or waiting to find out the big finale. Studying in the library? Watch the entire first season of “How I Met Your Mother.” Sitting at home on a Saturday night? Binge watch “House of Cards” until 3 a.m.

What’s the best part about streaming services like Netflix? They have new content every single month, so if you get sick of one show, they bring in new ones, or if you’ve caught up on all of the seasons, they have the new one available for you to watch instantly.

With the start of October, Netflix has brand new shows streaming this month that are ready for you to binge. It can get a little overwhelming, though, with all of the new shows mixed in with the existing ones, so here’s the four shows that you need to binge watch this month on Netflix.

1. Stranger Things

This smash-hit took Netflix by storm last fall with its perfectly blended horror, science fiction and comedic plot points to meet anybody’s go-to show needs. It was even nominated for best television series at the Golden Globes.

Fans fell in love with the rag-tag group of boys trying to find their friend Will, who goes missing out of the blue. During their investigation, they find Eleven, a girl who was the byproduct of government experiments and has psychokinetic powers. Together, the group tries to find Will and uncover more thrilling mysteries along the way.

It’s been a long wait for many of the shows’ fans, but on October 27th, the wait will be over with its new season. While Netflix has kept a tight lid on the new season, it is sure to incorporate the 1980s thrill like last season and leave many fans at the edge of their seats.

2. American Horror Story: Roanoke

Who doesn’t love a good, frightening show to keep you on your toes for hours on end?

That’s the beauty of “American Horror Story,” with its changing plot and characters every year to ensure each season is fresh and just as scary as the last. Season six, “Roanoke,” is a change of pace from the previous season with its faux paranormal documentary style about an interracial couple who buy a house in the North Carolina woods.

Things start to take a turn when the house turns out to be a former nursing home owned by murderous sisters and the land they live on is inhabited by old-timey colonists who don’t like trespassers. Unless, of course, if they can use the trespassers for their blood sacrifice. Oh, and there’s also creepy pigs, so the season basically has everything you would expect in an “American Horror Story” season.

Season six is now available to stream on Netflix, so you should probably clear your schedule for the next few days.

3. Mindhunter

This brand-new Netflix original series takes a more dramatic route with Charlize Theron as the producer and Jonathan Groff, the voice of Krisoff from “Frozen,” as the main character, Holden Ford.

Set in the 1970s, Ford and his partner dive into the psychology of serial killers by interviewing them and studying their psyche. This show is based on the 1966 book “Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit,” written by two former agents John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. The book chronicles their days hunting the most notorious serial killers and rapists, using profiling methods to interview the criminals.

Douglas and Olshaker’s book has already inspired several popular shows and movies like “Criminal Minds,” “The Silence of the Lambs” and “Zodiac.” This show will definitively blend all of those together with the intrigue of murder and the suspense of the chase.

“Mindhunters” debuts on Netflix October 13th, so be sure to mark your calendars and get ready for a rollercoaster of emotions.

4. Big Mouth

What happens when you put Nick Kroll, Fred Armisen, Maya Rudolph and Jordan Peele in a room together? They make “Big Mouth,” a hilarious Netflix original animated comedy about puberty.

This show tackles teenage puberty, but not in a Disney, PG-13 way, in a brutally honest way that everyone can relate to. It tackles every uncomfortable teenage hardship from getting your first period, to mustering up the courage to ask your crush on a date. The show is centered around two best friends in middle school, Andrew and Nick, trying to figure out how to survive their emotional and bodily changes.

There’s even a hormone monster who’s basically every teenager’s raging and unpredictable voice in their head telling them to do all of the wrong things. While this show is a bit graphic, it takes the most awkward years of a person’s life and doesn’t sugar coat any experiences, ultimately leaving you crying from laughter. It will definitely take you back to your awkward middle school days when you were just trying to figure out all of the changes in your life.

“Big Mouth” is now available to stream on Netflix, so if you’re looking for a new show that will make you laugh and cringe at the same time, this is the perfect show for you.

Sydney Jennings, University of Connecticut

Sydney Jennings

University of Connecticut