roulette
Scottish actor Sean Connery (center) as fictional secret agent James Bond sits at a casino card table in a scene from the film 'Dr. No,' directed by Terence Young, 1962. British actress Eunice Gayson sits with her back to the camera in a red, off the shoulder dress. (Photo by MGM Studios/Courtesy of Getty Images)

The Rules and Types of Roulette Explained

We've all seen it in the movies, but how do you actually play?

Casino games have become one of the most popular forms of modern entertainment, alongside TV and film, with brand new casinos opening around the world. Roulette is one of the most popular casino games going and is a regular feature in any casino you’ll find.

That being said, there’s a fair amount to get your head around before diving into the world of roulette. There are many variations in the type of bets you can make and how you make them. 

Want to know more? For more information, you can read up about it here or read on for a quick and easy guide.

The Roulette Wheel

The wheel historically consists of the numbers 1 through 36 in a seemingly random pattern that alternates between red and black. On top of those, there is also a 0 division. American tables go one step further and also have a 00 space, with some even having a “triple zero”.

To place a bet, you typically lay chips down on a betting mat in the precise location of what you would like to bet on. 

The Different Types of Bets

Before deciding which type of bet you want to make, you’ll need to find out the odds, payouts and house edge of each bet. This will ultimately help you make the best decision. 

The main two types of bets you’ll encounter are inside and outside bets — these are available on every roulette table. Next will be the more specific bets. You might only come across these on select tables. These include call bets, final bets, imprisonment bets and maximum bets.

Outside Bets

If you’re making a bet on the perimeter of the table, this is an outside bet. You’ll likely be making a bet based on a group of numbers or colors, rather than an individual number. 

Red or Black

Sounds simple, right? It is. Here, you’re betting on whether the ball will land on a number in red or black. This will be an even-money bet. But, beware that if you land on the 0 (or 00), you won’t win anything and this brings the odds below 50/50. 

Odd or Even

Same rules apply from red or black, unfortunately including the 0 and 00 resulting in a loss. 

High or Low

Here you’ll be betting on the ball landing on a number between 1 and 18 for low or 19 and 36 for high. 

Inside Bets

This is where things get a little more complex. Here, all bets take place in the inner rectangle where the numbers are. 

Straight Up

Place your bet on any number. If the ball lands on it you win and if it doesn’t, you don’t. Odds are 35:1. 

Split

Here you place your bet on the line between two numbers that sit together. This means that if either number comes up, you win. Odds are 17:1

Street

Raise your chances with Street by placing a bet on whether the ball will land on a number in a certain row of three numbers. It’s occasionally referred to as “trio” or “steam” bets. The odds are 11:1. 

Corner

Here, you bet that one of four possible numbers will come up. However, the numbers do need to touch to form a square. 

Five-Number Bet

With a 13.16% chance of winning and odds of 6:1, this is one of the worst bets that you can make. Here you bet on a group of numbers. 

Basket

For a basket, you bet on the first four numbers, including 0. 

Snake

With Snake, you bet on a unique set of numbers (1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, and 34) that form a snake pattern when highlighted.

The Best Bet?

While there have been some cases of roulette wheels tilting one way or another, roulette is by and large a game of chance. The best bet is to find what you enjoy, only bet what you can afford and have fun!