hair care

Summer Hair Care Products: Beating the Heat With Great Hair

Your skin isn't the only thing at risk from the summer sun.

No matter what you decide to do this summer, it’s important to stay safe when you’re having fun in the sun. Remember to put some sunscreen on, whether you’re at the beach or not, and stay hydrated. But not only can the summer sun be damaging to your skin; it’s not great for your hair, either. Don’t worry, though — there are plenty of hair care products out there to keep your hair safe and, more importantly, looking good.

There are some pricey products out there, but affordable hair care products do exist. You just have to know where to look. Of course, hair care is for all seasons, because both the heat and the cold can affect your hair, so knowing what works best for you no matter the weather is a necessity.

What matters the most is that you know your hair and how it usually reacts to the summer heat; once you understand that, it’s just a matter of looking for the products that are right for the job. For example, my hair tends to get super frizzy during the summer months, and it can be pretty difficult to tame. While the easiest route is putting it up in a bun, some of the products below can really help to get my hair under control, while also keeping it from drying out and being damaged.

If you prefer to keep your hair product-free this summer, that’s okay, too, because there are simple alternatives to keeping your hair protected. Wearing a hat can help against sun damage, and keeping your hair down can keep it intact; frequently pulling your hair back during the summer can cause breakage, so be careful out there. Tight hairstyles can be bad news, overall, because there’s always a risk of damage, and if you already have dry hair, it’s recommended you keep it loose.

There are lots of ways to look after your hair that don’t involve any products and are generally easy to do, and if it does require that you spend money, it won’t cost an arm and a leg. As long as your hair is being cared for, that’s all that really matters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0kWNmn36c/

Below is a short list of helpful hair care products to keep in mind when you’re looking to protect your locks without taking too much time away from your vacation, no matter where you are.

— Color Care Color Protect Locking Spray is available for $14 at Ulta. The sun can affect and cause damage to your hair color, so if you’ve got a dye job and you’re looking to keep it safe, this product is right for you.

— Climate Protection Hairspray by Tresemmé is available at Target. For just $4.99, this product will protect your hair against humidity and wind. It works for all hair types, so go forth and use it at your disposal.

— UV Protecting 5-in-1 Mist is also available at Target, for only $11.99. With this hair care product, you’ll be protected against frizz and UV rays. It also works as a detangler, so it can be applied to damp hair, and it’s safe to use on colored hair, too.

— Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Heat and UV Protection Oil is available at Ulta, as well, and while this product is a bit pricier at $28, you’ll be getting your money’s worth. You can apply it to your hair before using any other product, and it has priming oil to protect your hair against sun damage. It’s easy to use, and works on medium to thick hair.

— Total Results Keep Me Vivid Color Velvetizer is also available at — you guessed it — Ulta! For just $18, this easy-to-use product protects against UV rays and works for all hair types. It can be applied to damp or dry hair.

— Pre-Soleil Hair Radiance and Protection Mist is available on Amazon for $19.21. It protects hair against UV rays and dehydration, and it’ll give your hair a natural shine and make it smell good too. It’s perfect if you plan to go out in the sun for a while too.