Nike

Step Into the New Nike Joyride and Discover a World of Comfort

Nike's newest shoe has people running around on beads.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk around with beanbags on your feet? Well, thanks to Nike, now you can. The multinational corporation seems to be leading the way when it comes to inventing a one-of-a-kind shoe, and runners from all over the globe are excited about one of Nike’s latest creations.

Nike is renowned for its innovative designs. Let’s not forget, the company created the Nike MAG, the famous shoe worn by Marty McFly in the classic movie “Back to the Future Part II.” They also paved the way by inventing the Nike Adapt, a basketball shoe that you can control with your smartphone. Now, the mad scientists over at Nike are at it again, and this time, they are filling shoes with beads.

Designed for runners, but available to anyone, the Nike Joyride was designed with one thing in mind: comfort. Running can put a lot of strain on our feet, so Nike set out to craft a running shoe that would not only be comfortable but could also take a beating, while also giving your feet the cushion they need to hit that extra mile.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2HbcJVgQGU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The Construction of the Joyride

Foremost, the Joyride is constructed with neoprene and Nike Flyknit; this material is very breathable and perfect for any running shoe, but you won’t want to wear these shoes outside in cold weather. Nevertheless, the material is excellent for a warmer climate and for wearing while being active. Moreover, the heel of the shoe is designed to protect the heel of your foot.

Nike Joyride
The Nike Joyride is doing a lot interesting things.

Interestingly, the designers at Nike decided to change up the removable sock liner used in the majority of running shoes, opting to integrate a thinner material. This material allows the wearer to be as close to the rubber beads as possible, which helps the beads mold to your feet for the optimal amount of cushion.

Notably, the beads inside the Nike Joyride are composed of thermoplastic elastomers, also known as TPE. Granted, I’m no scientist — I’m just a sneakerhead — so to make it a bit simpler, the beads inside the shoe are best described as tiny, durable and springy rubber stress balls. Better yet, these stress balls are designed to form to your feet the more you run. I suspect that this might be part of Nike’s hidden agenda to get everybody off of the couch.

Inside of the Nike Joyride

Upon discovering the release of the Joyrides, like many other sneakerheads, I got curious. So, I looked up the shoe on YouTube to see if I could locate any videos that showcase the inside of the shoe. I wouldn’t dare cut a mint condition $180 shoe in half, and thankfully, I got lucky and found a video. And, to be honest, I was pretty amazed. The YouTube channel What’s Inside? cut open one of the sneakers to show how the Joyride is constructed.

As you might expect, the inside of the Nike Joyride is, of course, filled with beads: lots and lots of beads. Although I’m not exactly sure of the exact amount, What’s Inside? is on a mission to discover how many there are — honestly, I’m just glad that I’m not the one counting.

Nike initially intended for the bottom of a shoe to be a single pod. However, after significant testing, the creators came to the conclusion that one pod would not be a good idea considering that the beads began pooling in areas of the shoe where there was less use.

As a result, Nike returned to the drawing board and decided to section off four different pods throughout the bottom of the shoe; each pod is a different size, and each section is filled with a different amount of beads. This creative decision ensured the perfect amount of beads under the correct part of the foot to guarantee that your feet are well-cushioned in the areas that matter the most.

In addition to its sleek design, an admirable aspect of the Nike Joyride is that they are assembled with recyclable material. The rubber beads inside of the Joyride are also 100% environmentally friendly, which also means that they qualify for Nike’s Reuse-A-Shoe Program, a program that the company offers that takes back its old shoes and recycles them.

Should You Buy the Nike Joyride?

All that being said, should you spend your hard-earned money on Nike’s newest running shoes?

If you like Nike shoes, especially the brand’s running shoes, then you will probably be content with your purchase. After reading lots of reviews, my foremost takeaway from Nike’s new running shoe is that they are extremely comfortable overall. The design, colorway and beads all contribute to the construction of a genuinely unique shoe; I like shoes, especially those that are a bit different.

Should the Joyride be your first choice if you plan on participating in the New York City Marathon or competing in an Ironman Triathlon? I’m not positive, but I think they are worth a try.

If you want to cop a pair for yourself, you can buy a pair at any sneaker store, as well as online. The average price is around $180, which is not too pricey for a running shoe, all things considered. The Nike Joyride is available in a variety of styles and colors, all of which earn my recommendation.

If you’re looking for any cheaper alternatives to the Joyride, get a 10% off $100 with orders on Nike.com with code: TEAMUP. Offer valid through Oct. 27.