Nike Adapt BB

With the Adapt BB, Nike Just Created the Shoe of the Future

Thank you, Marty McFly.

Great news. We have officially arrived in the future, and we didn’t even have to drive 88 miles per hour to get there.

Elon Musk created a car that can drive itself, a toothbrush can transmit data to your cellphone to give you feedback that tells you where you need to improve on your brushing and Nike is about to release the Adapt BB.

The Product

It all started on Oct. 21, 2015, which is the exact date that Marty McFly visited the future in “Back to the Future Part II.” Because of this, Nike created a self-lacing shoe, a complete replica of the shoe that McFly wore in the movie. Now, Nike is taking that technology and cranking it up a notch.

The design team at Nike had one thing in mind: Make the shoes like a butterfly. Why would Nike want to design a shoe that’s like a butterfly? To explain, a butterfly goes through its life cycle constantly adapting and changing, and the company brought this idea to life with the Adapt BB.

Who could have imagined that we would someday be able to lace our shoes using an app on our smartphones? Well, not only did Nike imagine this crazy idea, but they turned this dream into a reality. The Adapt BB is a power-lacing shoe that not only laces itself, but is fully customizable via an app on your smartphone. What started out as a high-tech, one-of-a-kind basketball shoe turned into something that everybody wants to wear, whether they are a basketball player or not.

Check The Specs

Step into a shoe that not only laces at the touch of a button, but is fully customizable too. You can download the Nike Adapt app, pair it with your latest shoes and fine-tune the fit and design of your fancy footwear. Furthermore, the Nike Adapt BB switches between multiple customizable presets of your choosing, so regardless of what you decide to wear that day, you can change the color of the lights on the shoes so it will be a perfect match.

If you want the shoes to be loose, you can create a setting where your shoes will be looser on your feet. If you’re ready to play a basketball game or go to the gym, you can push another button on your phone, which causes the shoes to tighten. In addition, the shoes have a very small engine inside the midsole of the shoe that pulls the laces tighter at the touch of a button. You know life is good when we live in a time where we don’t have to tie our shoes.

Consequently, the Nike Adapt BB shoe paired with the app allows you to alter the colors of the lights built into the sole of the shoe. Are you wearing a red shirt? Boom. You can make the lights of the shoe red. Green shirt? Wait for it. You guessed it. The lights will be green. There are multiple colors you can choose with the Adapt BB app, and, in a way, wearing the Adapt BBs is comparable to wearing a different pair of shoes every day.

Charged Up

When it comes to a shoe that needs to be charged, the most important question is: How long will the shoe’s battery last?

In all fairness, I would say that’s a pretty important question. But, don’t worry. Nike’s shoe of the future uses a battery that will preserve a charge for approximately two weeks, even if you wear the shoes every single day. Not only do Adapt BBs have an amazing battery life, it only takes four hours to charge back to their maximum capacity.

Likewise, charging the Adapt BB could not be any easier. All you are required to do is to place the shoes on the power mat. The lights will let you know when your shoe is fully charged, but if the battery happens to die while you are still wearing it, there is no need to panic, because you won’t be trapped.

Even though you should not be jumping off of the high dive or surfing with Adapt BBs, the shoes are waterproof, meaning that your shoes are safe if you are forced to walk through puddles.

What’s The Cost?

The Nike Adapt BB is available for purchase now, but they will set you back about $400. Currently, the self-lacing shoes are available in either black or grey.

If you’re curious about seeing the shoe in action, I’d recommend searching through YouTube. The available videos will show you everything that this futuristic footwear offers. If you are a fan of shoes or a proponent of technology in general, the Nike Adapt BBs earn my seal of approval. Sneakerheads will definitely want to snag a pair of these. Personally, I think that the cost is a bit pricey, but I consider it to be a fair trade to own a pair of self-lacing shoes.

Who would have predicted that technology would be integrated into a pair of basketball shoes? What’s better is that I believe that Adapt BBs are just the beginning. I can’t wait to see what’s next. What a time to be alive!

For some deals, until Nov. 30, save an extra 25% on all clearance styles using code SEASONMVP at Nike.com.