in article about hair, hair that is in a ponytail

How To Style Your Hair for a Job Interview

Make sure that you're putting your best foot forward when you're trying to get hired at someplace new.

We are constantly told that the first impression is everything. Applying for your dream internship or your first job after college can be a daunting task. There are so many things to think about — and the right hair style is probably not high on your list. However, a smart appearance will give the right impression right from the get-go, without even saying a word. Hair is an important part of that; for example, a head of scruffy hair will probably not make a good first impression. You want your hairstyle to convey how competent and reliable you are without compromising on style. So, let’s take a look at some hairstyles that just might land you the job of your dreams

The Classic Up-Do

If you have shoulder-length hair and longer it’s probably best to gather your hair into a classic up-do. A low bun or chignon are an ideal hairstyle. This way you won’t have to contend with your hair while being interviewed. To create the low bun, you can simply gather your hair at the nape of your neck and place it into a low ponytail. Then wrap your hair around the hair-tie and fasten it with bobby pins. For the chignon simply split your hair into two and twist the strands around each other at the nape of your neck and fasten with bobby pins.

The Ponytail

Ponytails are simple yet effective hairstyles to re-create and work, both for straight and curly hair. To make it look even more professional, opt for a high ponytail, and make sure that you tame your flyaways to keep your hairstyle looking as sleek as possible. Take a section of hair from the side of the ponytail and wrap it around the hair tie; concealing the hairband will make your hairstyle look even more polished.

New Look

If you’ve been wanting an excuse to change up your look and get a new hairstyle, then this is the perfect opportunity. Have a read through this article on haircuts for women before you head to the salon. It will help you find a hairstyle that is just right for you and your new lifestyle. Short hair can also be a great professional-looking hair option. The secret to this style is to keep it as sleek as possible, which can be a bit more difficult when you can’t just gather it into a classic ponytail, for example. But there are many products out there that will help you tame those few unruly strands of hair in no time; in fact, a spritz of hairspray will normally do the job. You can also use a defrizzing product to make sure your style stays frizz-free. A sleek pixie cut a la Emma Watson gives the wearer a professional and confident look and it suits all face shapes. If you’re not quite ready to cut it that short, a blunt bob will also give you a professional vibe.

Whichever hairstyle you decide to go for, make sure that your locks are protected from external damage, regardless of whether your hair needs protection from the summer sun or from your hair straighteners. Looking after your looks will keep your hair in the best condition possible, which is great news — considering that you’ll be busy with the new job you’ve just managed to score.