in article about healthcare, a person giving a shot to another person with two others in the background

How To Begin Your Career in Healthcare

It's an enticing field for many, but how do you start?

The healthcare industry is one of the most rewarding to work in, as it allows you to help others while getting paid. Depending on your skills and experience, however, it can be difficult to jump into, and some level of education is usually necessary. That said, there are steps you can take to find a great job in the healthcare industry without any issues.

Finding a Suitable Course

Most healthcare industry jobs require a certain level of qualification. For a lot of people, this means enrolling at a university or college and attending traditional classes. However, there are other ways to do it. Many colleges and universities now offer online learning alongside traditional classes, giving students more freedom and flexibility over how they learn.

Health economics courses, for example, can be completed online. These courses give students key insights into the economic principles governing the global healthcare industry. For students that are looking to advance their careers within global healthcare or as a policymaker, courses like these provide a lot of benefits. Other online healthcare courses include healthcare technology, ethical decision making in care and patient flow management. These courses can offer a great way to enter the healthcare industry, and many can be studied alongside other courses or a job.

Always ensure that any course you take is accredited and approved by a reputable organization. In the UK, courses are normally certified by the CPD Certification Service, which ensures that students receive a high level of education and support.

Healthcare Jobs That Don’t Require Experience

In most cases, you won’t have much experience working in healthcare when you apply for your first job. Whether you’ve just graduated or you don’t have any healthcare-related qualifications, it can be difficult to get started. Luckily, there are jobs that will allow you to start straight away without any experience. This can be an excellent way to get your foot in the door before working your way up and advancing your career. Here are some of the main healthcare jobs available for those without experience:

• Healthcare assistant — HCAs are typically found working in hospitals, and their work is critical in ensuring that patients have the most comfortable stay possible. Typical HCA duties include washing and dressing, making beds, serving food and taking simple measurements like temperature and pulse rates. Although prior experience or certifications may be advantageous, becoming a healthcare assistant as a trainee is possible without any formal qualifications. There are also several apprenticeship programmes available to help you get started.
  • Medical secretary — Not all healthcare careers require you to be hands-on with patients. In truth, there are a variety of non-clinical jobs that can be equally gratifying. Medical secretaries, for example, play an important role in the healthcare business, assisting doctors and nurses with scheduling appointments and dealing with the day-to-day administrative tasks that allow them to execute their work as efficiently as possible.
  • Care worker — Not all healthcare jobs are found in hospitals, with care workers often needed to work in the homes of patients or at care homes. The position is similar to that of a healthcare assistant, but it is primarily performed at a client’s home. It entails giving patients the attention they require to deal with their specific circumstances. Demand for care assistants is very high across the country, meaning it’s relatively easy to find work.
  • Dental support worker — Dental support workers come from a variety of backgrounds and are another hands-on role for anyone wishing to gain experience in the healthcare industry. As a result, there are no clear entrance requirements to get started. Many employers frequently prioritize a positive attitude and a strong work ethic over specific professional experience. You’ll typically receive extensive on-the-job training in dental assistance, as well as encouragement to study in your own time to begin developing your credentials.