How You Can Use Draconic Astrology to Better Understand Your Soul

If that's something you want, of course.

Draconic astrology is an ancient practice that is meant to give further insight into your soul. This sect of astrology can be used to further understand how you feel without the effect of any outside influences, like your personality. For me, my draconic chart reflects how I feel in the depths of my soul and the ways in which I manifest my true self to the world, while my natal chart helps me understand how I deal with society related to myself.

From Babylonian times, this form of chart reading has served as a way to learn more about your true or higher self; however, the practice was long forgotten until recently, when astrologers revived the ancient study once again over the past decade.

The word draconic comes from the Latin names for the Lunar Nodes: the dragon’s head, or the Lunar North Node, named Cauda, and the dragon’s tail, or the Lunar South Node, named Draconis.

Unlike tropical zodiac birth charts, draconic astrology begins with the North Node at zero degrees Aries. The chart does not begin with the North Node at the Vernal Equinox, like mainstream natal chart readings; instead, the North Node is essentially the beginning of a natal chart, creating a deep connection with how your soul and your draconic chart functions.

The North Node rules over past lives, your life’s purpose and how you execute your life’s mission.

Because both natal and draconic charts have influence and insight into your node placements, reading the charts together (or purchasing a reading) gives perspective into the two sides of the mind.

Lenses of Understanding

There are two different lenses from which you can understand draconic astrology: a reincarnation lens to further grasp your higher self through one-life philosophies, such as karma and the unconscious, or a reincarnation lens to not only connect with your past lives, but also your higher self.

Draconic charts represent the higher self before it meets the physical body or personality, and through that, the flavor of astrology helps understanding in your higher and lower mind.

The higher mind is ruled by your draconic chart, and also the underlying layer to how you know yourself through your natal chart. Comparing the two is endlessly helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of your holistic self.

First of all, ponder this: You got out of bed today, you went to work or spent time with friends or slept in. In that time, how much did you think about the meaning of life? Well if you didn’t, you were using your lower mind. On the other hand, if you spent all day studying philosophy and religion through application you were probably using your higher mind.

Duality exists here because how you process things through morals, values and natural desire that can vary greatly from how you deal with things that are a part of your material world and personality, which are ruled by your natal chart.

Despite any kind of uneasiness in lack of understanding, recognize that your draconic chart reflects your soul’s mission. It tells you who you really are, what brings you joy and how you express synthesizing the world before judgement ever comes into the picture.

That picture shows your soul’s desire and gives insight into the spiritual soul by manifesting your deepest values, thought patterns and what your soul craves. Furthermore, the reading can also give insight into soulmates and fate, if those are components of your astrological or spiritual practice.

No matter what you believe with regard to a world outside Earth, draconic charts can help you understand who you are at your core by indicating what qualities your soul possesses and how you express them.

Your draconic chart is meant to be read alongside your tropical natal chart because no matter your perspective on the chart readings, your true self in draconic astrology is calculated from your typical chart.

Comparing Charts

When you compare your natal and draconic charts, you are able to easily and fully understand placements, such as important houses Imum Coeli (IC) and its counterpart, Midheaven or Medium Coeli (MC).

Although the sun, moon and rising signs are important in this soul-based astrology, the fourth house, or the Draconic IC, is the most interesting because it tells the most astrology can about individual families. The Draconic IC is the family people want to have in this life, while the natal IC represents the family people actually have, and actually need.

draconic astrology
The IC is a crucial house in draconic astrology because it allows people to understand their ancestral roots. (Image via Tara Nikita)

If you subscribe to the belief of reincarnation, the IC is vital to understanding your connection with ancestors, roots and the source of life. In a one-life philosophy, it can show you how your fundamental beliefs work and how you stay grounded or what you do to feel satisfied in a deeper sense.

Although you might only be interested in the synastry between your natal and draconic charts, draconic synastry in the sensibility of comparing two people’s souls and their compatibility could also be of interest to you, especially if natal synastry interests you.

When calculating (or getting a calculation) for draconic compatibility, there is less free will in the relationship and it requires a perspective of understanding that reflects love, which shows the kinds of bonds people have and how they establish and work on those things. Ultimately, it reflects how two souls work together throughout time.

Insight into the Soul

The different planets in draconic charts, including in the tropical zodiac, represent different qualities and areas of life; however, in draconic charts the focus is on how the soul functions and in what ways it expresses or manifests itself in your life.

Draconic astrology should be remembered and studied because it can help you develop a greater understanding for your soul and that of others. This archaic study can become an indicator for how long-term relationships unfold.

Better yet, you can find out what your draconic chart is by going online.

Sarah Penix, Ohio University

Sarah Penix

Ohio University
Journalism, news and information