Toronto, Canada skyline

Best Paying Jobs for Students in Canada

Earn a little extra money as an international student with the best paying jobs for students in Canada.

As an international student in Canada, you might want to work while studying to earn some money. This could be for several reasons, such as accommodation, food, schoolbooks or wanting to go on excursions all over the country.

If you’re wondering whether you can work as an international student, the answer is yes! This article will explain how and list the best-paying jobs for students in Canada.

High-Paying Part-Time Jobs for Students in Canada

Waiter

This is a great part-time job for any student as you’ll have a flexible schedule and can work in the evenings or on weekends. You could earn quite well on the minimum wage plus tips. The average waiter can earn $14.10 an hour in Canada.

Dog Walker

Not only is this a fun job, but you can also choose your hours and salary. For example, you can choose how many dogs you want to walk at the same time and how often you do so. This is a highly flexible job as you can work on days where you have fewer classes and skip the days you get busy. The average dog walker earns around $20 to $25 an hour.

Writer

If you’re creative or studying within the writing field, then working as a writer will not only benefit your pockets but also benefit your career. By either working for an employer or freelancing, the experience you’ll get will be invaluable. The average earnings pay up to $55 an hour. 

Translator

As an international student, you are most likely a native of another language, which means that being a freelance translator or working part-time in that field can be an excellent way to earn extra money. Of course, you’ll need to excel in language and writing skills. In Canada, you could earn anything from $23.26 to $55 an hour.

Rideshare Driver

This one could be for companies such as Uber or Lyft, and it’s quite a popular part-time job among students in Canada. All you’ll need is a smartphone, a car and a valid driver’s license. You can choose when to work, but, however, choosing to work during the busier times will make more money. If you’re in a city with a large student population, you’re sure to make a great income driving on weekends.

Read more information here on how to work in Canada as a student.

How Can International Students Work in Canada?

The Canadian study permit allows foreign nationals to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Every international student needs a study permit regardless of the program. The study permit allows you to work in Canada as a student on-campus or off-campus.

Eligibility for Study Permit

You can study in Canada if you:

1. Are enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  2. Prove you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  3. Obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required).
  4. Are in good health and get a medical exam (if required).
  5. Prove to an officer that you’ll leave Canada when your study permit expires.

The Canadian study permit is valid for the length of your study program, with an extra 90 days. In those 90 days, you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which is designed to help international students who have completed a qualification from a DLI get an open work permit that will allow them to work for any employer in Canada. This will open doors for you to immigrate to Canada.

For more information on study programs in Canada and how to apply for a Canadian study permit, go to CanadianVisa.org.