dog whistles

How to Recognize the Rhetorical Dog Whistles of the Modern Fascist

Fascists try to hide in plain sight on social media by using dog whistles.

In terms of political ideologies, none receive the same kind of hatred that fascism receives. The hatred is more than deserved, of course, since the repercussions of such an ideology are still fresh in our minds. However, these fringe groups develop means to communicate and identify one another through dog whistles.

The rhetorical device is used as a coded message in order to signal one’s political stance. Fringe political groups, such as fascists, use the messages to publicly identify their political ideology without anyone outside their party understanding exactly what they’re saying.

In order to give a little context, it’s important to define fascism. Popular belief may claim that fascism promotes ethnic cleansing, which isn’t entirely true, and the malicious ideology does not present itself as such. In reality, fascism’s main tenant surrounds an ethno-nationalist worldview. Fascists believe that if countries became completely homogenized, it could lead to solving all the world’s problems.

It’s interesting that fascists often point out the ends of their goals without specifying the means. I suppose telling everyone you’re down to murder millions of people, either through mass displacement or genocide just doesn’t fly off the tongue like “we need to preserve Western culture.”

Now, before I get too heated in the midst of writing this article, I should move on to what I’m really here to write about. If you’ve seen any social media profiles of fascists, such as Richard Spencer’s, you can see that the emoji in their Twitter names change every so often.

For a while, Spencer had the okay hand gesture emoji between his first and last name as a symbol of white power. Since Trump’s recent attacks on Syria, however, Spenser has changed the emoji to Syria’s national flag in protest against Trump’s airstrike.

The OK hand gesture isn’t the only emoji that fascists have ruined for the rest of smartphone users; they’ve also taken it upon themselves to adopt both the milk and frog emojis along with it.

The frog is meant to represent Pepe the Frog, a popular character in a series of comics by Matt Furie, who’s been appropriated by internet hate groups as a symbol of their movement. The milk emoji is also meant to represent white nationalism and white pride in general.

Not only do these people use modern symbols for their dog whistles, but they also utilize ancient Viking runes as a means to identify their political ideology. One such symbol is the Odal rune, meaning “heritage.”

Another is the Tyr rune, which means “warrior.” Not unlike how the Nazis appropriated the swastika, modern fascists wish to appropriate ancient symbols to represent their own political movement.

In the case of the runes, however, things start to become very complicated. The symbols have been around far longer than fascism, and many neo-pagan groups use these runes to proclaim their religious beliefs.

So, to be clear, just because someone uses the OK hand gesture emoji or doodles Viking runes in the margins of their birth charts doesn’t make them a fascist. To really know if someone is part of that ideology, people need to conduct more research.

The dog whistles used by fascists don’t stop at symbols, however. Members of the fringe political group also use punctuation to try and get their points across. One example lies in their use of parentheses, particularly when presented as “((( ))).”

They use the typographical tactic, known as echoing, in conjunction with a person’s name, such as “((( Mel Brooks ))),” to indicate that the writer understands this person to be Jewish. This particular dog-whistle shows up a lot in online, anti-semitic rhetoric.

When Twitter users put triple parentheses around a person’s name, they are denoting that they believe the person is Jewish (Image via New Statesman)

Another prominent hate-symbol comes in the form of “14/88” or “8814.” Each number in this numeric dog whistle represents two specific facets of the fascist agenda. The number 14 represents their 14-word slogan: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.” The number 88 is code for “heil Hitler” since the letter H is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

Irony also plays a large role in fascist dog whistling, notably through the form of sarcastic jokes. One popular meme that went around for a while was the phrase “Hitler did nothing wrong.” In fact, Mountain Dew once set up an online poll to find a title for their new soft-drink, and the aforementioned user-nominated phrase rested at the top of the list.

That said, insensitive jokes not only trivialize the atrocities committed by Nazi Germany, but they can also elicit facetious responses in the forms of dog whistles.

One coded message that can be a reply to this “sarcastic” meme is a claim that those who suffered through the horrors of the Holocaust were free of lice. This facetious comment isn’t just an edgy joke for the alt-right.

Rather, it’s a dog whistle that holocaust deniers use to identify one another. Those who believe the holocaust never happened take on the notion that the gas-chambers were meant to rid the prisoners of lice and not meant for mass murder.

Dog whistles are, in nature, difficult to discern. The phrases and symbols constantly change as more and more people start to understand their true meanings. It takes constant vigilance and determination to keep up with the encoded terminology of modern fascists.

Let it be known that this kind of political leaning only reveals its sinister nature when it’s already too late. Keep an eye out for any and all encoded hate speech so that you too can identify fascists and, subsequently, put them in their place.

Cason Ragland, University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Cason Ragland

UNC - Greensboro

1. Cason, going to be honest here, have you actually ever learnt any recent internet culture history? There are as many jewish pepe’s as there are nazi pepe’s. Pepe is a mirror, a mirror is not racist because a racist is using it, Pepe is whoever the person using him wants to be.

2. Great job on this post! The content is incredibly informative and thoroughly researched,
    providing precious knowledge into the subject at hand.
    The writing style is compelling and flows smoothly, making it an pleasurable article.
    I appreciate the effort put into presenting complex ideas in a straightforward and
    concise. This post has definitely expanded my knowledge on the topic.
    Well done to the writer for delivering such a excellent work!|I’m thoroughly amazed
    with the high quality of this write-up. The writer has expertly presented a fair
    view on the subject, providing both sides of the argument in a
    just and impartial manner. The research and facts cited throughout
    the article add validity to the arguments made. I value the lucidity of the writing, which made it effortless to
    comprehend and comprehend complex concepts. This article is a precious tool for anyone seeking a complete understanding of the topic.|This
    blog post is a breath of fresh air! The author’s original point of view and creative approach make it set itself
    apart from the rest. I found myself engrossed in the fascinating storytelling and
    the smooth flow of ideas. The author’s enthusiasm for the topic shines through every word,
    making the journey truly pleasurable. I praise the effort put into creating such an distinctive article.
    Well done!|This is an exceptional write-up of work!
    The author’s thorough knowledge of the subject matter is clear throughout the
    write-up. The precise and concise explanations, coupled with supporting examples, make complicated
    notions effortless to understand. I admire the extensive research study that
    went into this write-up, as it provides a firm basis for the claims presented.

The author’s writing style is captivating and
    keeps the viewer hooked until the very end. I was astounded by the
    smooth transition between ideas and the
    rational structure of the write-up. The author’s aptitude to present nuanced points and provide thought-provoking ideas is commendable.
    It’s clear that a great deal of work and knowledge went into creating this outstanding write-up.
    I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a skillfully written and informative piece.|I must say, this article went beyond my expectations!
    The depth of evaluation and the unique point of view presented really differentiates it
    apart. The author’s expertise of the subject is
    evident, making complicated concepts easily
    understandable. The writing style is engaging and captures the reader’s attention from the very beginning.

I found myself engrossed in the content, eagerly absorbing every word.
    This is a praiseworthy piece of work that deserves acknowledgment.
    Well done!

3. Great job on this post! The content is extremely informative and meticulously investigated, providing precious knowledge
    into the topic at hand. The writing style is compelling and flows smoothly, making it an enjoyable read.

I appreciate the effort put into conveying complex ideas in a clear and concise.

This article has definitely expanded my awareness on the subject.
    Kudos to the author for delivering such a top-notch work!|I’m thoroughly awed with
    the high quality of this post. The writer has expertly presented a balanced view
    on the subject, providing both sides of the argument in a fair
    and impartial manner. The studies and facts cited throughout the article add credibility to the points made.
    I value the clearness of the writing, which made it easy to follow along
    and understand intricate concepts. This post is a valuable resource for anyone seeking a comprehensive understanding of the topic.|This article is a refreshing change!
    The author’s distinctive perspective and creative approach make it stand out from the rest.
    I found myself captivated in the compelling storytelling and the effortless flow of
    ideas. The author’s passion for the subject shines through every word, making the journey truly enjoyable.
    I commend the effort put into creating such an unique article.
    Well done!|This is an exceptional article of work! The author’s thorough knowledge
    of the topic is evident throughout the piece. The precise
    and brief explanations, paired with substantiating examples, make complicated notions effortless to
    understand. I value the thorough research study that went into this piece,
    as it provides a strong groundwork for the claims presented.

The author’s writing style is engaging and keeps the reader hooked until the very end.
    I was astounded by the flawless transition between thoughts and the coherent structure of the article.
    The author’s aptitude to present sophisticated arguments and provide stimulating observations is admirable.

It’s evident that a lot of effort and expertise went into creating this remarkable
    write-up. I warmly urge it to anyone looking for a skillfully written and informative article.|I must
    say, this article exceeded my expectations! The thoroughness of analysis and the original perspective offered really distinguishes it apart.
    The writer’s expertise of the subject is evident, making complex concepts easily understandable.

The writing style is engaging and grabs the reader’s interest from
    the very beginning. I found myself absorbed
    in the content, enthusiastically absorbing every word.
    This is a commendable piece of work that deserves acknowledgment.

Well done!

4. Great job on this post! The content is incredibly informative and thoroughly researched, providing useful perspectives into the subject
    at hand. The way of writing is compelling and moves smoothly, making it an enjoyable read.
    I appreciate the effort put into communicating complex ideas in a concise and manner.
    This write-up has definitely expanded my knowledge on the topic.
    Well done to the writer for delivering such a excellent piece!|I’m thoroughly amazed with the excellence of this write-up.

The writer has masterfully presented a balanced view on the topic, providing both sides of the argument in a fair and impartial manner.
    The studies and facts cited throughout the piece add credibility to the claims made.

I appreciate the lucidity of the writing, which made it
    effortless to comprehend and understand complicated concepts.
    This write-up is a invaluable resource for anyone seeking a
    thorough understanding of the topic.|This
    blog post is a refreshing change! The author’s unique perspective and innovative approach make it
    stand out from the rest. I found myself captivated in the captivating
    storytelling and the seamless flow of ideas. The author’s zeal for the subject shines through every word, making the exploration truly enjoyable.
    I applaud the effort put into creating such an unique piece.
    Well done!|This is an exceptional article of work! The author’s comprehensive knowledge of
    the topic is apparent throughout the write-up. The clear-cut and brief explanations,
    combined with substantiating examples, make complicated concepts simple to comprehend.
    I appreciate the thorough research study that went into this article, as
    it provides a solid basis for the arguments presented.
    The author’s way of writing is engaging and keeps the
    viewer hooked until the conclusion. I was impressed
    by the seamless transition between thoughts and the
    logical structure of the article. The author’s capability
    to present nuanced perspectives and provide stimulating observations is commendable.
    It’s clear that a tremendous amount of effort and knowledge went
    into creating this outstanding article. I warmly suggest it
    to anyone looking for a skillfully written and informative article.|I must
    say, this article surpassed my expectations!
    The thoroughness of evaluation and the distinctive perspective presented really distinguishes it apart.

The author’s command of the subject is apparent, making complicated concepts readily understandable.
    The writing style is captivating and captures
    the reader’s attention from the very beginning. I found myself absorbed

This is a laudable piece of work that deserves appreciation. Well done!