Rapid Response Student Journalist Team!

Spring 2018 Staff Journalism Internship

For 4 months during the summer, spring and fall semester, Study Breaks offers an Journalism Internship for a limited number of college students. This rapid response team will work remotely to cover 2 weekly ground-breaking stories.

The primary focus of the articles will be trending topics and developing stories. The stories will be 350-500 words and usually assigned by the editor, although you might pitch stories of interest.

This rapid response team will become well versed in the basics of journalism, such as writing in the inverted pyramid, using AP style, quoting sources and remaining objective, as well as how to create engaging headlines, subtitles and ledes.

Interns will participate in individual review sessions bimonthly, where their writing will be critiqued and they will receive tailored writing feedback. In addition, you will be introduced to the use of WordPress, Google Analytics, Slack, HARO and Google Trends.

Requirements

No experience is necessary, the only requirements are:

• Current college student
  • Have an .edu email address
  • Passion for journalism and writing
  • Able to commit to the time restrains and writing workload
  • Fill out the application form online and include two non-fiction writing samples of any length

Specifics

• This in an unpaid internship. College credit is provided upon request.
  • Each internship term lasts 4 months and can be done on a schedule that accommodates to your classes.
  • The internship is remote, so you can work from wherever you are.
  • Student journalists will write two news articles per week of 350-500 words.

How to Apply

Fill out the form below. Select the internship and term you are applying for and provide a brief introduction of yourself in the message section. Attach two non-fiction writing samples of any length to your application. Please make sure to use your “.edu” email address.
Alternatively, you may email editorial@studybreaks.com with the same information above.

Submissions are reviewed as submitted, with an approval response of about a week.