shower thoughts
It's okay to cry, we've all been exposed to the shower thoughts on the Internet (Image via The Cut)

15 Mind-Blowing ‘Shower Thoughts’ Posts the Internet Has to Offer

Within the strange world of Reddit, these little things called shower thoughts are rocking the worlds of countless people online.

The Internet is weird. Though this statement may sound obvious to anyone under 40 who goes beyond the soccer-mom-infested realm that is Facebook, the phrase “the Internet is weird” doesn’t truly resonate unless you see concrete proof. Whether that means delving deep into an online forum or chatting with random strangers on Omegle, you can find bizarre things anywhere if you look hard enough.

For example, an online haven of random and strange posts has thrived within the sub-Reddit titled /r/Showerthoughts, a community where you are meant to “share anything that goes on in your head whilst in the shower.” The theory is that people’s minds tend to wander during tedious tasks like showering, so their most interesting thoughts often occur during this time.

And what better to do with these bursts of inspiration than to share them with the Internet? Though this premise may sound simple enough, the idea of revealing “shower thoughts” online has spiraled into something far beyond what anyone intended.

From funny to gross to dark, shower thoughts are meant to represent unfiltered observations of people’s seemingly mundane life experiences. Posts can literally be about anything and everything, so long as you’re not saying something overtly offensive.

However, the most famous shower thoughts posts are often ones that trigger some kind of revelation for readers, causing a “mind-blowing” effect. And as this quick and easy method of spreading modern philosophical conjectures took hold, shower thoughts became more well known online.

The /r/Showerthoughts thread’s 14 million subscribers prove the popularity of these posts, and the trend has spread beyond any single website; Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr accounts that derive from the original Reddit idea have all amassed thousands of followers.

So if you’re wondering what all the hype is about, have no fear. Here are 15 shower thoughts, taken from Reddit and Tumblr, just to get your feet wet.

1. Whatever happens inside our bodies happens in pitch-black darkness. (x)

So does that mean when babies are born, they literally see the light? Living for nine months in a dark, wet incubator must be rough.

2. Imagine how amazing a rave in an Ikea would be, like a giant house party in all the fake rooms. (x)

Throw in some Swedish meatballs, and you’ve got yourself a party to end all parties.

3. When you “bite down” on something you’re actually “biting up” because you can’t move your top jaw. (x)

https://www.tumblr.com/justsomeshowerthoughts/162632493236/bite-down

Imagining the action of “biting down” will never be the same.

4. A pet rock is a great pet, until you realized its essentially immortal, and you have damned it to an eternity of watching loved ones die. (x)

Who need immortal vampire stories when you can have one about an immortal rock?

5. If James Bond is the most famous spy, doesn’t that make him the worst spy? (x)

Sooner or later, the major spy agencies of the world will probably have to get rid of James Bond for revealing trade secrets.

6. There is an uninterrupted tube going from your mouth to your anus. Since your body doesn’t completely close it off. Really humans are just like giant donuts with arms and legs. Food never really goes in you it just touches the walls of your inner-donut until you absorb the nutrients. (x)

There is an uninterrupted tube going from your mouth to your anus. Since your body doesn’t completely close it off. Really humans are just like giant donuts with arms and legs. Food never really goes in you it just touches the walls of your inner-donut until you absorb the nutrients.
by inShowerthoughts

So if a person eats a donut, then there’s a donut inside your inner donut, according to this logic.

7. Crabs probably think that fish can fly. (x)

What about flying fish then? Do they just ascend to heaven?

8. It’s said that 1 year equals 7 dog years. Computers age at about the same rate. A 10 year old computer functions about as well as a 70 year old human. (x)

If this is true, no wonder those ancient computers are called “dinosaurs.”

9. Your nose smells the outside of your body when you inhale, but it doesn’t smell the inside of your body when you exhale. (x)

Your nose smells the outside of your body when you inhale, but it doesn’t smell the inside of your body when you exhale.
byu/4llFather inShowerthoughts

Obvious scientific implausibility aside, it would be horrifying to smell the inside of your body. Who knows what’s been lurking in there?

10. Flat Earth society was (probably) a social experiment to prove how many idiot followers could be gathered by giving a totally insane idea enough momentum on the internet…and it’s working. (x)

If this theory is correct, then B.o.B must be an undercover agent looking to convert as many Flat Earthers as possible.

11. A group of squid should be called a squad. (x)

Imagine a group of squid doing a squad pose. That is all.

12. Old people tell young men/women they’re a “catch” despite not getting a lot of attention because they see beauty that young people don’t value yet. (x)

[deleted by user]
by inShowerthoughts

After all those dark and stupid posts, a pure one like this seems the most appropriate.

13. Santa Claus is important because it teaches you that the people in charge are capable of lying to you to manipulate your behavior. (x)

The greatest betrayal of Santa is that parents can eat cookies and say that Santa did it instead. Keeping in mind how many years of their lives kids believe in Santa, that’s a lot of cookies swindled from the mouths of babes.

14. “Firefly” is the opposite of “Waterfall.” (x)

It’s literally not, but this is clever wordplay nonetheless.

15. Everyone has three voices: the one in your head, the one you hear when you talk and the one everyone else hears. (x)

https://www.tumblr.com/justsomeshowerthoughts/171423058117/everyone-have-three-voices-the-one-in-your-head

Who else has difficulty expressing how the voice in their head sounds? Thinking this much can’t be good for you.

Whether you’re looking to experience a mind-blowing revelation or just get a few good chuckles, shower thoughts accounts are definitely worth perusing a bit. Though they may not change your life in a drastic way, the experience will certainly be a memorable one.

Jade Hookham, UC San Diego

Jade Hookham

UC San Diego
Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience