Drake
Drake

What You Can Expect from Drake’s New Album, ‘Scorpion’

The music world is on edge.

Drake’s new album, “Scorpion” drops tomorrow, and with it, the secret billboard messages and Instagram teases will finally come to an end.

Drake has been mysterious throughout this process and hasn’t revealed much about the album. The rapper originally announced the album on Instagram by wearing a bomber jacket that said “Scorpion, June Twenty-Eighteen.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhpENZcnJMK/?taken-by=champagnepapi

Since then, Champagne Papi has been teasing fans with more posts, including possible cover art and celebrities in Scorpion jackets.

Drake announced his executive producers for the album in a post featuring Noah “40” Shebib in one of the infamous “Scorpion” jackets. The two have been working together since 2009, and Shebib served as the executive producer for some of Drake’s most popular works, including “Take Care,” “Nothing Was the Same,” “What a time to be Alive,” “Views” and “More Life.” The front view of the jacket also shows the name Oliver El-Khatib, the other producer of the album.

DJ Khaled was also shown wearing and holding a “Scorpion” bomber jacket. Does this mean he will be featured in the album? It’s very possible that the two may have teamed up, especially since DJ Khaled posted a picture of the possible cover art on Instagram with the caption “June 29” alongside scorpion emoji.

No one knows exactly who may be featured with Drake, but it is rumored that Drizzy worked with Puerto Rican artists Bad Bunny, Nigerian Artist Tekno and Paul Anka. Maybe this collaboration will be featured on the album, and fans might hear Drake sing in Spanish.

In another Instagram post, Drake shared the possible cover art, which features a portrait of the rapper in black and white, his signature and “Scorpion 2018” handwritten in the lower right-hand corner.

Billboards have been popping up around Los Angeles and the rapper’s hometown of Toronto with messages such as “A Side B Side,” possibly signifying a double album. Ma I, a friend of Drake, confirmed this the Joe Budden podcast. Ma l said, “It’s a double album. R&B album and a rap album.”

Drake also left other cryptic messages, including “Is there More,” “Don’t Hit Me When You Hear This,” “Changing From a Boy to a Man,” “I just flipped a Switch, “Elevate” and “God Has a Plan.”

Are these lyrics from the album, or possible song titles? Fans will have to wait and see.

Just three days before the release of the album, Drake posted a promo trailer for “Scorpion” on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkeGf58HX-t/?taken-by=champagnepapi

It is possible that the rapper found inspiration for this album title in his zodiac sign. The Scorpio’s birthday is on Oct. 24, 1986, and this theory would make sense since he drew inspiration from his birthday to create the name of his record label, OVO Sound (October’s Very Own).

This is Drake’s first full album since “Views” in 2016. Since then, Drizzy has released other work, including a mixtape “More Life,” along with chart topping singles like “Nice For What,” “I’m Upset,” and “God’s Plan,” which are featured on the EP “Scary Hours.”

The album release comes directly before the start of the “Aubrey & The Three Migos Tour,” which kicks off on July 26 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Although the beef between Drake and Pusha T is no longer in the spotlight, it is possible that the album may feature lyrical stabs at the artist as well as Rihanna, who told Vogue that the two aren’t friends anymore.

There is no set track list for the album, but according to Vice, listeners are expected to hear “Nice For What” and “I’m Upset” on the album. It may also feature two stand-alone tracks released in 2017 titled “Pistols” and “Signs.”

I guess fans will just have to wait and see what kind of surprises the rapper has in store.

Alexis Rogers, Temple University

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish