The Fifth Harmony Girls: Where Are They Now?

Each member of the girl group, without exception, has already begun to find solo success

They ain’t worried bout nothing, they ain’t worried bout nada, and they have plenty of reason not to! At their zenith, Fifth Harmony, one of the most dominating and powerful girl groups of all time, gave us hits like “Bo$$,” “Worth It,” “Work from Home” and “Flex (All In my Head,)” all of which quickly became household favorites.

The female supergroup took the world by storm back in 2012, and until Camila Cabello’s abrupt exit six years after that, Fifth Harmony was one of the most influential pop groups on the scene.

Many fans (called Harmonizers) were left confused and hurt by the sudden denouement, and for a while the future of the group and the girls’ friendship remained murky. However, after the dust had settled, Fifth Harmony kept it moving forward until they announced their break.

Still, fear not: the girls have still remained active in their own solo activities. Take a look at where they are now.

1. Camila Cabello

If you have not heard of Camila Cabello yet, it’s safe to say you’ve been living under a rock. Cabello has long since been the stand-out star of the group, with her powerful vocals and catchy ad-libs. Many fans predicted a successful future solo career for her quite early on in Fifth Harmony’s run, given her relatability and talent. Her notorious duet with fellow singer/songwriter Shawn Mendes, “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” was an instant hit while she was still in the group.

Following her departure from the group, Cabello also snagged a duet with Machine Gun Kelly in their hit song “Bad Things,” her first official piece of work as a soloist. Her own original work came out with her debut album, “The Hurting. The Healing. The Loving.,” with its hit song “Crying in the Club.”

Cabello’s TV appearances started increasing when she started performing at award shows and being featured on talk shows. Her popularity skyrocketed even more with the release of her next album, simply titled “Camila,” which turned out to host some of her biggest songs to date. Does “Havana” ring a bell?

From being nominated for more than one Grammy to hanging out with mega-stars like Taylor Swift and Pharrell, Cabello is growing into a major household name that doesn’t seem to going anywhere anytime soon.

2. Normani Kordei

As for this powerhouse dancer and vocalist, the opportunities have been building sky high. That’s right, Normani is coming for the world and no one can stop her.

Kordei was notorious for her powerful and smooth dance moves in Fifth Harmony, breaking it down every chance she got and standing out for it. Since the group hiatus, Kordei started out by releasing some epic choreography cover videos.

Later, she released her solo cover songs, including a mashup of Drake’s “Fake Love” and “Sneakin,” as well as Solange’s “Cranes in the Sky” and “Don’t Touch My Hair,” soothing listeners with her smooth, smoky vocals. Kordei was also able to flex her variety of dance skills on Season 24 of “Dancing with the Stars,” shimmying her way to third place and into the hearts of even more fans.

In terms of musicality, Kordei partnered up with friend and fellow singer Khalid in their song “Love Lies,” which became an instant hit. The song hit No. 43 on the Billboard Hot 100, cruising high for many weeks after its debut.

Now officially a solo artist, Kordei began to rack up the collaboration offers that came her way. After Khalid, she collabed with Diplo in songs “Slow Down” and “Checklist,” fresh and poppy beats. The music video dropped for her collaborative song, “Waves,” with 6lack, which trended on YouTube for some time and left viewers in awe of her very being.

Her biggest opportunity thus far came in the form of her feature on iconic singer Sam Smith’s feel good song “Dancing with a Stranger,” with both with her vocals and her performance in the video stunning first-time fans. Looking forward, Kordei is booked as an opening act for Ariana Grande’s Sweetener World Tour, so keep an eye out for this rising star.

3. Lauren Jauregui

Known for her smoky and raspy vocals, Lauren Jauregui has been making waves of her own as a solo artist. Her first venture outside of Fifth Harmony came in her feature in Marian Hill’s song “Back to Me.” The dance-heavy beat was a bit of a breakthrough for Jauregui as a songwriter, as she came up with the verse herself and found that she loved the process. Little did we know, this would only be the beginning.

Jauregui next found herself starring in Halsey’s song “Strangers,” a strong LGBT-themed song that had fandoms admiring the visuals and her vocals. She also featured in Ty Dolla Sign’s “In Your Phone,” a track about a couple always being occupied with their phone and not their significant other. Ironically, Jauregui and Ty Dolla Sign are dating, and they have been together since earlier on in 2017.

Flexing her songwriting skills yet again, Jauregui revealed her own debut song, “Expectations,” to fans at a concert, and then as an officially released song in October 2018. Captivated by her sultry and empowering lyrics and dancing, fans were left craving more of her solo work.

They did not have to wait long; in January 2019, Jauregui released her new song, “More Than That,” a hip-hop heavy bop. That and the accompanying video of Jauregui herself sitting amongst aesthetic pole dancers and powerful-looking women stunned listeners. In the meantime, fans of Jauregui look forward to the singer’s debut solo album, the release date of which has yet to be released.

4. Ally Brooke Hernandez

No Harmonizer can forget the little powerhouse vocal Ally Brooke. She was petite, but she had some of the strongest vocals of Fifth Harmony, often belting out high and sustained notes with ease. Her vocal stability carried over to her collaborative song with DJ duo Lost Kings in their song “Look at Us Now,” a fun EDM track that put her on the mark.

Hernandez maintained her momentum with a feature in DJ Topic’s soft track “Perfect,” which showed off the extent of Hernandez’s vocal range. Her TV appearances aided her rise to further stardom, as she starred in the pre-show for the 90th Academy Awards with covers of iconic songs.

Hernandez has been keeping busy in the studio in preparation for her own debut solo album, which is aimed to be coming out sometime later in 2019. From her album came her most recent released single, titled “Low Key,” which features well-known rapper Tyga. Given her track record of solo activities, fans are positive her album will be just as successful.

5. Dinah Jane Hansen

Last, but most certainly not least, is vocal super star Dinah Jane Hansen. Known for her wild, curly locks and her larger-than-life voice, Hansen captured Harmonizers’ hearts with ease with her fun personality. Her vocal ability is nothing to laugh at either, with many likening her to legend Leona Lewis after footage of Hansen covering “Bleeding Love” went viral.

Of all the girls, Hansen has admittedly been the most out of the spotlight thus far, releasing only a few banging collaborations in her time since the group dispersed. Her solo work began with her fun feature in music producer Red One’s song “Boom Boom,” alongside other big stars such as Daddy Yankee and French Montana.

After the catchy feature, Hansen revealed a musical collaboration with aforementioned legend Leona Lewis, joining forces and voices for a beautiful Christmas song medley. Although not as active, Hansen has also released her own solo song, titled “Bottled Up,” featuring Ty Dolla Sign and Marc E. Bassy. The song and video emphasized Hansen’s musical growth and maturity since her Fifth Harmony days, where she was treasured for being the youngest of the group. Whatever her future endeavors are, Hansen is sure to leave her mark wherever she goes.

As you can see, the former Fifth Harmony girls are all maintaining their own in the hectic world of music. They remain dear to fans and newcomers alike, and, hopefully, will maintain their personal rise to future success in the days to come.

Grace John, Rutgers University

Grace John

Rutgers University