Dion performing in pink dress

The Life and Songs of the World Class Artist Celine Dion

Despite all the fame and tragedy in her life, the legendary singer continues to deliver amazing performances and always shows her human side in the music industry.

Celine Dion’s singing voice has made her a global icon. Tracks such as “Because You Loved Me,” “All By Myself,” “My Heart Will Go On” and “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now” are just a few of her most well-known. The tunes are recognized by people around the world and not just in English-speaking countries.

Early Life

Celine Dion was born in the Canadian province of Quebec and is the youngest of 14 children. French is her first language, and she was always surrounded by her older siblings and other people in her community who shared an interest in music. Music was a constant thing in her life from the beginning. Although Dion had very little while growing up, she remembers having a happy childhood where she dreamed of pop stardom.

Rene Angelil

When Celine Dion was a teenager, she was already well-known in her local Quebecois community. A music talent manager named Rene Angelil took an interest in Dion when she was 12. After Angelil and Dion met, their lives were forever changed. Angelil knew talent when he saw it and he knew Dion was a special, gifted woman. Angelil knew he had to help Dion climb to the top because the world needed to hear her extraordinary voice. With Angelil’s help, Dion was lifted up into fame and success and by the time she was a young adult she was already a global sensation.

It wasn’t long after Dion’s early success that she and Angelil fell in love. Angelil had already been married twice and had one kid from his first marriage, two kids from his second marriage, and ended up having three kids with Dion. Despite the major age gap between Angelil and Dion and her family’s, especially her mother’s, disapproval, Angelil and Dion’s relationship worked out. Their relationship was interesting because Angelil was Dion’s manager but he also was her husband. It’s nice when an individual can help launch your career, watch your career trajectory unfold and give you insightful feedback, all while supporting you and your children emotionally.

Tragically, Angelil passed away in 2016 at the age of 73, two days before his 74th birthday. He had lost his lifelong battle with cancer and left his six children, and Celine Dion, behind. Although Angelil is no longer alive, he catapulted Dion’s career and ultimately, both Dion and Angelil’s dreams about success in the music industry came true.

“Because You Loved Me”

There are many Dion songs that are loved by fans but one that is particularly compelling is “Because You Loved Me.” This song was written by Diane Warren and was produced by Grammy award-winning producer David Foster. The song was written for the 1996 film “Up Close and Personal.” In this drama, Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Redford are two journalists who fall in love. Redford’s character is older and more experienced, while Pfeiffer’s character doesn’t know much about the journalism industry but is willing to learn.

It is interesting how there are parallels between the movie and Angelil and Dion’s love story. Dion and Angelil’s love story could be the real-life version of “Up Close and Personal” because just like the two characters in the movie, Dion is younger and Angelil is older, and yet they still manage to fall in love and learn from each other. The song “Because You Loved Me” is about a person being grateful to another person and for helping them through hard times in their life. The context of this song can also be applied to Dion’s life as well. Angelil was there for her when times were tough, and he helped launch her career — she is eternally grateful for that and the life and love that they created together and shared.

What Matters Now

There are very few things in life that are universal and that bring people together. However, music is one of them. Music is a shared interest and is performed by human beings around the globe. Dion’s songs are important today because they’re iconic, uplifting and touching. Dion’s voice is truly a beautiful sound to hear and her fans love seeing her in concert.

In addition to being a very talented singer, she also understands that the content of her character matters, especially when fame is a daily part of one’s life. There have never been any scandals or bad gossip about Dion. Dion has a good reputation and always treats people well, regardless of their background. She’s very honest and can relate to people by showing her human side when on stage.

Being a good person and singing songs that people love and remember is important in today’s world; music can create community and connection for people who listen and sing it. Dion’s songs have literally changed people’s lives and have brought people closer. Her songs matter because they are timeless, they unite people, and they help people live their lives.