beach podcasts

5 Beach Podcasts to Listen to When That Summer Day Starts Dragging

You can only listen to the waves for so long.

Summer is officially here, and you know what that means — it’s time to head to the beach. It’s an undeniable fact that the beach is the most relaxing place to vacation, even if you’re there with your large, stress-inducing extended family. Lying on the beach all day is many people’s idea of paradise, but it can also seem like a form of torture for those who are extremely restless.

Whether you want to soak in the rays all day long, or you can’t stand being covered in sand, podcasts are the perfect accessory for all beachgoers. With the wide array of podcasts available for streaming, everyone can discover a subject that they find intriguing or one that can provide needed lifestyle advice. Here are 5 beach podcasts that are equal parts entertaining and relaxing — just what you need for long hours on the shore.

1. “Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard”

Are you interested in learning about the depth and variety of human experience? But, at the same time, would you want to just listen to celebrities talk about themselves? If the answer to those questions is a solid yes, then Dax Shepard’s podcast is what you need for your long days on the beach. In each episode, Shepard, of “Employee of the Month” and “Parenthood” fame, converses with celebrities and famous experts on a variety of subjects.

The point of the whole series is to celebrate the messiness of being human, and Shepard does an expert job of drawing celebrities out into a place where they can be vulnerable. It is refreshing to hear that celebrities are, contrary to popular opinion, not perfect and their lives are just as, if not more, messy than everyone else’s.

The show boasts a large number of high-profile guests, including Ellen DeGeneres, Will Ferrell, Dr. Phil and, of course, Shepard’s wife, Kristen Bell. No subject is off limits; race, religion, suffering, divorce, death and other tough topics make regular appearances. Despite discussing these deep issues, the show has a healthy dose of comedy and wit, making it lighthearted, relatable and an overall entertaining beach podcast.

2. “Doughboys with Nick Wiger and Mike Mitchell”

If there’s one universal truth about the beach, it’s that being at the beach makes you hungry. Being hungry at the beach isn’t the same as being hungry at home; it’s 100 times more intense. So, it would make sense that the go-to beach podcast would be about food.

“Doughboys” is not for those wishing to learn about high-class cuisine. The podcast discusses fast food and chain restaurants, mainly concerning their strengths and weaknesses. The hosts of the show, Nick Wiger and Mike Mitchell, frequently have differing opinions concerning particular dishes, making the podcast equally interesting and hilarious. After listening to “Doughboys” on the sandy shore, you’ll be ready to chow down.

3. “You Must Remember This”

Tales of romance, crime and betrayal among the stars of Old Hollywood make for perfect beach podcast material. But what if these stories were more than just tales? What if they could be proved as fact? The podcast “You Must Remember This” investigates scandals of the first century of Hollywood by trying to separate the sensationalized paparazzi accounts from the truth.

Karina Longworth, the creator of the series, painstakingly researches the stories in each episode by digging through the spin of tabloid magazines, conflicting reports and inconsistencies created by being passed down over the years.

Longworth covers infamous stories such as whether Bugsy Siegel is responsible for “inventing” Las Vegas, if Marlene Dietrich’s bisexual affairs included the Oscar-winning actress Claudette Colbert and if Grace Kelly’s fairy tale ending was really what it seemed. Even if you don’t enjoy history, “You Must Remember This” will keep you on the edge of your towel and might even change your perception of Hollywood.

4. “And The Writer Is…with Ross Golan”

If you’re a music lover, this podcast will certainly open your eyes to how the music industry operates behind the scenes. The show consists of host Ross Golan interviewing the music industry’s most influential and successful songwriters. By focusing on songwriters, rather than just the singers that perform the songs, Golan gives the writers the recognition they deserve.

Songwriters are the backbone of the music industry, yet they are hardly acknowledged compared to the artists that sing their hit songs. “And The Writer is…” is contributing to the recent movement to recognize the talent of songwriters. The podcast includes singers who double as songwriters and reveals that many of your favorite bops were written by other artists.

Did you know that not only is Jon Bellion one of the most talented pop singers, but that he also wrote Eminem’s “The Monster” and Christina Aguilera’s “Fall in Line”? Or that Julia Michaels co-wrote “Sorry,” Justin Bieber’s smash hit? You will discover more revelations like these on this perfect beach podcast.

5. “On Purpose With Jay Shetty”

Whether you have general questions about life or you are just trying to make the world a better place, Jay Shetty’s podcast “On Purpose” is the right place to start looking. Shetty discusses relationships, from friendships, to family, romantic partners and even our relationship with money. The episode topics are refreshingly honest, and Shetty often gives advice that isn’t the easiest to hear, but is the most beneficial.

With episodes like “3 Reasons Why Compatibility is More Important Than Chemistry” and “8 Ways We Waste Money and 8 Ways to Make Money,” the podcast delivers practical yet life-changing advice for people in all stages of life.

Shetty is striving to turn his listeners into active change-makers who will make a positive impact in the world. By listening to this podcast while lounging about, you’re basically killing two birds with one stone: you can have the relaxing experience of chilling on the beach, and you can learn how to form yourself into a better person.