Demi Lovato Has Been Rushed to the Hospital After an Apparent Heroin Overdose

The singer, actress, sobriety spokeswoman and mental health advocate was taken to the hospital from her Hollywood home.

On Tuesday, actress and singer Demi Lovato was rushed from her home in Hollywood to a Los Angeles hospital after an alleged heroin overdose. Law enforcement from the LAPD told Us Weekly that they responded to a call in Hollywood at around 11:30 local time.

She is currently being treated in Los Angeles, and was given treatment in her home as well, but there is no more news on her condition at this time.

Lovato had her first break on the infamous “Barney & Friends” television show when she was just 10 years old. In her teen years she made a name for herself starred in the Disney channel original movie “Camp Rock,” where she sang and acted alongside the Jonas Brothers to produce a true millennial classic. Lovato continued in the Disney channel environment while starring on the television hit “Sonny with a Chance.”

Around this time, Lovato also launched her career in the music business with her album “Don’t Forget,” which was released in 2008. Her first album debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200. She has since released five more studio albums, all of which have reached great success.

In recent years, Lovato has become more active in supporting issues that she believes in and has experience with herself, specifically mental health, eating disorders and LGBTQ issues. Lovato has been vocal about her past, in which she has spent time in rehabilitation centers, and worked to help others with similar struggles.

In 2012, MTV released a documentary, “Demi Lovato: Stay Strong,” where she spoke about her time in recovery. She has also been open about her depression, eating disorder and bipolar disorder. Lovato has “Stay Strong” tattooed on her wrists, expressing the difficulties that she has encountered with her own health over the past years.

In March, Lovato celebrated six years of sobriety. She tweeted, “So grateful for another year of joy, health and happiness. It IS possible.” Then in June, she released a song entitled “Sober,” where she allegedly mentions a relapse. In the song, she apologies to her parents for no longer being sober and “spilling drinks on the floor.”

Throughout her battle with her addiction, Lovato has done one thing most other celebrities have not: she talks about it. She has made it clear that recovering from an addiction is not all sunshine and daisies, there will be hard days, and there will often be relapses. Lovato wants to make it clear that an addiction does not define you.

Her activism and career success are more important than her mental struggles, and that is how she wishes to be known. Fans are reaching out to express their thoughts and prayers for Lovato and her family in this difficult time.

If you or a loved one struggles with addiction, please seek help here:

https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline

If you or a loved one struggles with depression or suicidal thoughts, please seek help here:

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Rebecca Crosby, American University

Rebecca Crosby

American University