Culture x

The fabulous and ‘fierce’ fashion designer, Christian Siriano, deserves more credit.

Christian Siriano
Christian Siriano (Image via Yahoo! News)

Fashion designers are discovered all the time, but very few make a difference in the world of fashion. We have Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Dior and so many other designers out there who have made fashion the way it is today, but who are the designers making a difference and how?

Out of all the fashion designers in the world, Christian Siriano, the sassy fashionista, was the winner of Season 4’s Project Runway in 2008, after being rejected from the Fashion Institute of Technology while looking for schools to attend. That same year, his collection launched and in 2012 his first New York City flagship store opened.

Siriano first gained his fame by his signature catchphrases “tranny” and “fierce” on Project Runway. That brought his name to the fashion world, as well as his extravagant designs that led him to be the final contestant standing that season. From there, Siriano launched his collection and almost ten years later, Siriano has made a name for himself, especially on the red carpet.

In June 2013, he was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA). He is known for his “fantasy evening gowns, cocktail dresses, and tailored sportswear.” He is worn by many celebrities, including Oprah Winfrey, who called his designs “works of art” while Tim Gunn called him a “prodigy–the next great American fashion designer.” Along with all of his other recognitions, Siriano is the youngest person to ever appear on the Crain’s “40 Under 40” list, and was a member of Forbes “30 Under 30” in 2015. He was also named “Designer of the Year” at the 2016 AAFA American Image Awards and, that same year, won the Couture For A Cause “Designer of the Decade” award.

His fame and accomplishments are often underseen as he is quite successful for only being in the fashion industry about ten years. He has dressed some well-known celebrities such as Victoria Beckham, Sarah Jessica Parker, Taylor Swift, Kerry Washington, First Lady Michelle Obama, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga and the list could go on and on. He recently published a book called “Dresses to Dream About” where he flaunted a handful of his favorite designs; however, there is more to Siriano than just his designs. His perception on the fashion world makes him unique and here is the proof.

Cardi B in blue gown (Image via the Fader)

1. He shares his designs for a purpose and views fashion in an outstanding way.

“It’s funny how one thing can change everyone’s perception—that’s kind of how fashion is in general, so it can be frustrating for a designer,” he says. “But that’s why this book exists, so people can see beautiful things for what they are.”

Christian Siriano
Fashion book (Image via Christian Siriano)

2. He celebrates diversity.

“I want to show that all these women can like look beautiful in my clothes. That’s always been really important. Sometimes the challenge becomes making sure that it’s right for the person that I think would want to wear them, [and] to show that you can still have a voice but dress all these different types of people. Hopefully, people still think that the clothes look like my brand—that’s what we still work on and we’ll be working on forever. But I like that challenge.”

Christian Siriano
Diversity on the runway (Image via Essence)

3. He has the right state of mind when it comes to success.

“For me I’m a luxury brand trying to prove to people and the industry that it’s not about being a TV celebrity in any which way, it’s about being a designer and having a business and being successful at that.”

Christian Siriano
Looking through dresses (Image via Footwear News)

4. He stands up for true beauty.

“All people are beautiful. There is no correct size, shape, color, or age. As a creator of fashion, I celebrate the body that wears my work. What an honor to be chosen, to be appreciated, and to be seen. That honor extends in both directions.”

Christian Siriano
Group photo with models (Image via Teen Vogue)

5. He flaunts the fun in fashion.

“There are still places to go, there are still dinners, there are still parties, and you can still get dressed up. That’s part of having fun in fashion.”

“We are living in a new world where traditional fashion rules no longer apply. This is great; the concept of ‘rules’ in fashion has always sounded to me like an oxymoron.”

Christian Siriano
Two piece dress (Image via Kleinfeld Bridal)

6. He wants everyone to know the message of his brand.

“I love that we dress all these very different types of people, and my point is, isn’t it great to make them all look amazing in the same brand?”

Christian Siriano
Green dress (Image via Vogue)