What Are the Most Anticipated Films of 2017?

In 2017, remakes and live-action adaptations shall inherit the world.

Superheroes and Sequels Galore

By Aliyah Thomas, Mount Saint Mary College

2016 brought us plenty of great films, but there was a fair share of box office blunders to be had across the span of the year.

While 2017 is bound to bring some of the same theatrical gaffes, there are too many promising films coming to theaters this year to be discouraged by the ones that completely bomb at the box office.

Here are some of the most anticipated films with 2017 release dates.

1. All the Superhero Films

2017 is going to be a big year for superheroes, so I’ve lumped them together for the sole purpose of not making half of this list about Marvel and DC’s film exploits.

Chances are that if you’re already invested in the superhero trend, you’ll see these movies (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” “Wonder Woman,” “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Justice League,” the list goes on) without me having to convince you of their worth.

2. “John Wick: Chapter 2”

Doesn’t anyone remember what happened the last time someone messed with John Wick? First they killed his dog and stole his car, now they blow up his house. Keanu Reeves was trained in the fucking Matrix, people! Avoid this man at all costs!

“John Wick” was one of those word-of-mouth films that you probably didn’t catch in theaters last year unless you’re a conscious B-movie-watcher, but “John Wick: Chapter 2” has already gained so much traction and promises viewers the same stylish, netherworld feel that found so much success in its prequel—this gung-fu thriller is bound to be a hit in 2017.

The sequel’s cast includes break-out star Ruby Rose, rapper-actor Common and Morpheus Laurence Fishburne, so “Chapter 2” has basically become the most gratuitous “Matrix” reunion that I am, without a doubt, not worthy of.

3. “The Lego Batman Movie”

If you’re not excited for “The Lego Batman Movie,” you must not have a beating heart.

“The Lego Batman Movie” is the spin-off of 2014’s beloved “The Lego Movie” (I bet you still haven’t been able to get “Everything is Awesome” out of your head), and looks like a true delight for everyone in 2017—don’t let anyone tell you that adults can’t watch animated movies.

This Batman is unlike the lifetime of sad, somber Batmans we’ve had in years past. Lego Batman is a wannabe beatboxer who’s funny without meaning to be, but he’s also a self-absorbed, self-righteous loner and a deadbeat daddy to his adopted son, Dick Grayson.

Expect some dope tracks, mild chaos and hilarity to ensue.

4. “Beauty and the Beast”

Tale as old as time… and you know how the rest goes. With live-action adaptations like “Cinderella,” “The Jungle Book” and “Alice in Wonderland” finding so much success at the box office, of course there’d be a slew of others to follow. In the coming years, we’ll have adaptations of “Mulan” and “The Little Mermaid,” but for now, we’ll have to be satiated by “Beauty and the Beast.”

Emma Watson has long since received the people’s seal of approval as Belle (she’s smart, self-aware and apparently can sing very well!), and Watson definitely seems to be who viewers are most excited to see when the film comes to theaters in March. It also doesn’t hurt that, beneath the beastly exterior, there is a very handsome leading man.

This live-action remake of a classic tale looks faithful to the original film, and even matched the 1991 “Beauty and the Beast” trailer shot-for-shot! “Beauty and the Beast” is sure to bring back the songs we love, the selfless leading lady and the same endearing love story. If that doesn’t excite your adolescent heart, then I don’t know what will.

5. “The Fate of the Furious”

Whether you genuinely love “The Fast and the Furious” franchise or you’re in eight movies too deep and just watch them for the sake of consistency, this one’s for you.

“The Fate of the Furious” is the franchise’s first film since the death of Paul Walker during production of “Furious 7,” so it’s safe to say that the film will be a bittersweet experience for fans and even more bittersweet for cast members.

Like every film in the franchise, the team will face a new villain and, to the dismay of an entire fan base, watch their beloved Dom Toretto go rogue. If you’re still wondering how Dom could ever betray his family, you’re not the only one, but don’t forget what happened to Letty.

“The Fate of the Furious” promises bigger drama, bigger fights and even bigger car stunts—but seriously, how can they get any bigger than two consecutive car jumps through skyscrapers?

6. “Alien: Covenant”

For the sci-fi fans that have waited five long years since 2012 brought us the gore-laden gem, “Prometheus,” there’s finally a sign of life on the far side of the galaxy.

“Alien: Covenant” has been in talks since its prequel left the audience with no solid answers to their biggest questions. There was a lot of back-and-forth about a sequel, initially planned to resolve the gaping holes left by that ominous ending of “Prometheus.” But for a long time, there was no guarantee that a sequel would even follow the storyline that “Prometheus” left undone.

The trailer doesn’t let on much more than the storyline does, but it damn sure does get me excited for May. If “Alien: Covenant” is anything like its predecessors, you can expect gory, gratuitous death, alien impregnation and an intergalactic journey gone pleasantly wrong.

Have you ever been so excited to see baby aliens bursting from inside of people?

7. “Star Wars: Episode VIII”

Well, there’s not much to say about the eighth “Star Wars” installment because we don’t know much about this one, but let’s assume that there are a lot of Rey/Luke Skywalker training montages and Rey gets her hand cut off by Kylo Ren.

“Episode VIII” is bound to be the most emotionally-charged “Star Wars” film yet, given Carrie Fisher’s death at the end of 2016. Unlike what “Furious 7” did for the late Paul Walker, “Episode VIII” will not have to superimpose Fisher into the film, as she had reportedly finished filming her scenes before her death.

Aliyah Thomas, Mount Saint Mary College

Aliyah Thomas

Mount Saint Mary College