Although it may seem that picking one major will be permanent, some have found that it is easy to change with a do-over. (Image via TripSavvy)
College x

When pushed to make a quick decision on your future, some have learned that clicking off one major can easily change.

One of the toughest things for high school seniors to do seems to be choosing which colleges to apply for. Before a choice can be made, the agonizing decision of a major pops up on every application form.

Dropdown menus can range anything from accounting, puppetry to zoology. Many students make the choice based on the prospective salary, while others choose based on passions or excelling in a specific subject matter.

They say you change careers seven times in a lifetime. How many times do students change majors? Even after graduation, how many students wish they would have? An AskReddit thread from April gave users a chance for a do-over when choosing a major. Here are the top 10 user posts for a major do-over.

“Medicine. I was too afraid of malpractice before and realize now that was a poor choice,” – @guesswhatihate

Fear prevents people from doing many things. The uncertainty of new things can cripple your motivation to try things you like. This user missed out on a high-paying career due to an inevitable challenge in medicine.

Although the age of this user is not clear, the schooling needed for a career in medicine is long-winded. Their do-over may be out of their reach.

“MIS/Data Science. It was still a pretty newish thing when I was in college, and that’s what I ended up doing as a career anyways. But what did I actually major in? Russia Studies,” – @scthoma4

Although this user ultimately did end up in a career in management information studies/data science, they elected to choose a major based on a passion.

Their allude to their major was not a good choice, but, for some, it was a great decision. Possible careers with a Russia studies major include State Department area specialist, foreign acquisitions lawyer and college professor.

The change of major process at Charles. W Davidson College of Engineering. (Image via Charles. W Davidson College of Engineering)

“I’d go to veterinary school. I didn’t think I could handle dying animals before, but now I realize I’m mentally stronger than I thought and wish I could help them more,” – @KageKitsune28

Many children dream of being vets but don’t realize the challenges that come along with it. Once the seriousness of being an animal doctor is realized, few follow through with their childhood aspirations.

There are other options this user can pursue when it comes to helping animals. Places such as local Humane Societies are always in need of volunteers. This user may not need a do-over, but a hobby.

“Business, sales, marketing. I did engineering instead. But I am a crap engineer. I now sell things on Amazon. Hows that for a switch,” – @PM_ME_HEALTH_TIPS

An engineering major seems like a sure-fire job path for many students across the country. This user shows the reality of the job market and how it hits every career category.

They also show how a bachelor’s degree doesn’t mean you’re going to be good at it. Sales work is better for this engineer and that’s ok. They needed a reevaluation of skills before entering college to avoid a do-over.

“Culinary school. I work in IT, the pay is nice and the work is always available. but I don’t enjoy it at all. it’s not for me. I would have gone to culinary school and been a chef,” – @Lost_in_costco

The grass is always greener on the other side. This user gets paid presumably higher than a chef, yet he’s not passionate about his work. A career needs to pay your bills as well as feed your soul. College students must find an equal balance between salary and passion when choosing a major.

The bright side to this is that a passion for cooking does not necessarily need a degree to be enjoyed. A well thought out kitchen and ingredients can cater to this user’s need to cook.

“If I had a do-over, I wouldn’t go to college,” – @kobyc

College isn’t for everyone. This isn’t a secret. Other options this user should have considered were a trade school or working right out of high school.

These options are viable, but they seem not to be in a world where higher education reigns king. The country is in a dire need for plumbers and electricians. The salary for these careers is nothing to dismiss either.

“Marine biology, because I don’t want my office job, i want to swim with dolphins,” – @SmallWood315

This response is something most can relate to. When given a choice, most would rather spend their days studying exotic animals than tediously typing data into a spreadsheet.

A desktop picture of dolphins porpoising may not be enough for everyone or even this user. A desk job may be a safe bet, but is it worth staring at the life you could have had every time you close your browser?

“Something practical but boring—accounting or business,” – @ceg045

What’s a “practical” major? Every major offered can argue their practicality in the world. What this user must have meant was a major with more widely available jobs. Almost every company needs the skills of an accountant.

A degree in business can be useful for multiple things as well. Majors in more specific areas of study are harder to find jobs in. Their practicality and sense of excitement can’t be measured by how many jobs in the field are available.

“I did biology. It was cool. Now I’m finishing up mechanical engineering technology. It was alright. Accepted into an anthropology degree for this fall. Third time’s the charm, right?” – @ZX_Ducey

Talk about different ends of a spectrum! This user, and others like them, have so many different interests that it makes them crisscross college programs. This is normal! Some must try every flavor before deciding on one. Others can’t seem to learn enough about everything they can. The prospect of earning three degrees in such different avenues will only help shape a student into a better prospect for an employer.

Changing majors is common among numerous college students. (Image via Odyssey)

“Probably major in the same thing. But study harder,” – @heedlessly4

This user speaks the truth for many undergrads. Some hit the jackpot and pick the right major the first time around, but later fail to put in the necessary effort. This can cause many failed classes or even prompt students to drop out completely. Students need to find the motivation to study subject matter pertinent to their degree.

A do-over may be in the cards for an unsatisfied bachelor degree holder when their major isn’t everything they’d hoped it’d be. It should not be seen as a failure, but rather joyous as pursuing something else can lead to greater things. There is rarely a time when it’s too late to get back into the classroom even later on in life.

When choosing your major, do your best to choose what you think will make you the happiest and most successful. Even if you don’t, a do-over is a drop-down menu away.