in article about getting a degree and travel, person in airport

How To Earn a Degree While Traveling Abroad

There's no reason that you can't explore the world and get some schooling done at the same time.

Traveling the world when you are young is a thrill. There’s so much to see and do across the globe that you just can’t leave until later, and heading off on that round-the-world trip as soon as you can is a truly attractive option. However, while exploration is exciting, you may feel that life in general, and education in particular, could get in the way. Getting your college degree, a master’s, or even a Ph.D., is an important task, and balancing your need for adventure with the responsibilities of life can seem tough.

But don’t despair! You can have it all if you plan it right. It is perfectly possible to travel abroad, see the world, and earn a degree, all at the same time. Remote learning and online study mean that, with the right techniques, you can get a degree from anywhere in the world, allowing you to explore to your heart’s content and come out the other side with your dream qualification. Take a look below at what you need to keep in mind if you want to enjoy Caribbean beaches or picturesque European cities while you earn a degree.

Choose the right program

You want to do a course that excites you, that you are truly passionate about, of course. But you also need to keep in mind that it needs to be something that translates well into remote, on-the-go learning.

Get the right tech

Technology, and good internet most of all, are key to successful remote learning. Make sure you have a good laptop with plenty of storage, and a good camera, headphones and mic combination. You’ll be spending plenty of time in Zoom seminars and Microsoft Teams lectures so these will be invaluable. You also want to consider your destinations, as a fast, reliable internet connection will be a must.

Pay attention to time zones

This is important if you intend to travel around as you learn, as it can be easy to get confused as you flit from one country to another, and missing lectures or study groups because you got the time wrong (or because they were being held at 4:00 a.m. where you are!) is annoying.

Plan your travel around your learning schedule

To avoid time-zone mix-ups or missed deadlines, it is worth basing your travel plans around your learning schedule. This allows you to focus on your studies properly, as well as enjoy your adventures to the utmost, without distractions or worries from either side.