In an article about becoming a personal assistant, a laptop sits on a desk.

How To Become a Personal Assistant

This comprehensive guide will set you on the right path for a successful and interesting career as a personal assistant.

So, you’re interested in becoming a personal assistant. This job offers a flexible and unique career path. It is an excellent career choice if you are organized and enjoy working with others.

Have you ever wondered how to begin working as a personal assistant? There isn’t much guidance to point you in the right direction of this elusive career. However, there is a strong need for personal assistants everywhere. Learning how to get started can lead you to a successful and rewarding career. 

This guide details what a personal assistant does. It will also give you a step-by-step guide to starting a successful career as a personal assistant. So if you’re ready, let’s dive in.

What Does a Personal Assistant Do Every Day?

A personal assistant is responsible for supporting owners, senior management or company directors. They make their employer’s life easier by completing important administrative tasks. For example, they might manage their schedule, take notes during meetings or schedule travel. Personal assistants may even communicate with contacts on their employer’s behalf.

Organization, management and communication skills are all helpful for accomplishing these job duties. It is also important that personal assistants have in-depth knowledge of the company they work for and the management’s objectives. This way, they can successfully support their employer’s goals. 

Specific job duties will vary depending on the company or person you work for. However, you can generally expect to do tasks such as: 

• Answering phone calls and communicating with business contacts
  • Scheduling meetings or appointments
  • Arranging travel plans, itineraries and accommodations
  • Taking minutes or dictation in meetings
  • Organizing office procedures and ensuring that things run smoothly
  • Keeping track of financial records
  • Producing reports, typing documents and creating presentations 

Another benefit of becoming a personal assistant? You can work in any industry! From startups to larger corporations, employers of all kinds utilize personal assistants. 

Since tasks vary from role to role, you should review the job description for every position. This way, you know what will be expected of you. For instance, some roles might focus on keeping track of accounts or budgets or require you to use Insightful to manage your employees’ budgets more expertly. Whereas others may offer you more flexibility and power — you may make important decisions or even step in for the owner in their absence.

Steps to Becoming a Personal Assistant

1. Gain the Necessary Skills

The first step to getting a job as a personal assistant is to gain the experience and skills to handle the job. If you have previous administration or secretarial experience, starting can be easier. If you are brand new, personal assistant training will help you gain the necessary skills. You don’t need a bachelor’s degree to start in this career, and focused courses can get you started much faster. 

PA courses will teach you everything you need to know. Lessons include using Microsoft Office, project management software and social media for business. Plus, they will teach you about marketing fundamentals, touch typing and much more. 

Training will fully prepare you for the job responsibilities so you can succeed in your role. Plus, certification will boost your resume. It lets the employer know that you can handle the job responsibilities. 

2. Apply for Jobs

Search for jobs on job posting sites, such as Indeed. LinkedIn also offers a way to find jobs. You can even network with friends and family. Let them know you are working as a personal assistant, and you can find jobs that way. 

When applying for jobs, you need to demonstrate that you have the necessary skills to manage tasks. You should highlight your 

• Written and oral communication skills
  • Organization/management skills
  • Knowledge of software such as Microsoft Office
  • Problem-solving abilities 

Management and directors will be looking for someone who can manage all their tasks. It is always beneficial if you can demonstrate your responsibility and trustworthiness. 

Applying for jobs in fields you have experience in can boost your chances of getting hired. For example, if you have knowledge of technology, you will stand out to employers in this industry. Applying to work in a niche you are interested in also means it is more likely you will enjoy your career. 

3. Get Experience and Grow Your Career

We all have to start somewhere! Whether you have years of experience or are just starting out, it is possible to grow your career. 

On the job, try to learn more about the niche you work in. You can ask your employer questions and gain key insight from them. Try to learn as much as you can about the company you work for so you can do your best job. As you gain more in-depth knowledge of your niche, there is potential for a higher salary and more career opportunities. 

As you gain more skills on the job, you can become more successful. You could grow into an executive assistant role or work for a larger company. 

You should never stop learning. If there is new software that can help you on the job, you should learn how to use it. Or, if there is a marketing trend that will help your employer’s business, learn more about it. You get the point! 

Get Started as a Personal Assistant Today

Hopefully, this guide has given you more insight into a career as a personal assistant. Many business owners and directors need help with their daily tasks, so you can always find plenty of work opportunities. If you are feeling inspired and feel it is a good career for you, go for it!