homework

12 of the Funniest Excuses for Not Doing Your Homework

Ah procrastination, the true mother of invention.

Homework is something that a lot of students choose not to do, even though they know they can get into a lot of trouble for skipping it. If you’re an educator, you’ve probably heard an unlimited number of excuses from your students, and some of them might have been absolutely hilarious.

From a student’s perspective, homework can be a serious obstacle to doing things they love, such as meeting with friends, playing video games or watching their favorite TV shows. In fact, a Chinese study found that more than 70 percent of schoolchildren don’t like homework.

Who’s going to want to do that math homework or write college papers when a new Marvel comic book has just been released, right?

So, when students begin to realize that they won’t complete the homework in time, they try to come up with believable excuses, which can be extremely creative, weird or funny.

So, to celebrate the inventive excuses students use to get out of homework, we’ve gathered some of the best from across the internet in the list below, enjoy.

1. “My brother’s friend, who came to our house yesterday, said he could eat paper, and I didn’t believe him. So he decided to show how much paper he could eat and grabbed my homework right out of my desk. I didn’t see that it was my homework and realized that it was too late.”

2. “My dad needs a paper shredder for work, and it was delivered to our house yesterday. He wanted to show us how it works and mistakenly took my homework and destroyed it.”

3. “My mom once said that she wanted my best homework framed. When I completed all the work yesterday, I said to her that it was the best because I did everything right, even the tasks for extra credit. Today, I couldn’t find it so I went to my mom. She said she had to have it framed because it was my best homework!”

4. “I didn’t do my homework because I figured I’d do it tomorrow, because I’ll be older, and therefore be wiser, then.”

5. “Yesterday, I didn’t have time to complete the homework because I was at the rally all day. The rally was calling for an increase to teacher pay, so I had to be there.”

6. “To be honest, I didn’t do my homework because I know how heavy your current workload is and I didn’t want to add to it. I thought that I could give you some more free time.”

7. “Well, incredible story. I was going to school this morning and it was very windy. I carried the homework in my hands, but it slipped out of them and blew away. I tried to chase it for a couple of blocks, so that’s why I’m late to class.”

8. “While I was getting ready for school this morning, I was putting some books inside my backpack. When it was time for my homework, my mom said she needed to see me in the kitchen right away. I went there, and when I came back, my homework wasn’t there. Clearly, my dad accidentally took it to work because his briefcase was next to my backpack.”

9. “I was in the school yard when I heard some student saying bad things about you. I felt like that should let him know that he was wrong. It would be wrong to hurt him, so I thought a good way was to throw something at him. I quickly looked through my backpack, but the only thing I could find was the homework I had to submit today. After hesitating a bit, I let him have it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find it afterward; someone must have taken it.”

10. “My grandpa was on “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” yesterday, so he asked me if I would be available for a call if he didn’t know an answer and had to call a friend. I absolutely had to be there for him, so I didn’t have any time to complete today’s homework.”

11. “After completing my essay yesterday, I looked at my assignment once again and realized that it was so good that it could make other students in the class feel bad about theirs. I decided not to hurt their feelings and left it at home. What can I say, I’m a great essay writer.”

12. “I was sunbathing near the pool yesterday and doing the homework at the same time. When I was about done, something pushed me forward and I dropped my work right into the pool. It was so wet I couldn’t put it together, so I don’t have it right now.”

Just a Drop in the Ocean

The amount of homework is steadily increasing, so more and more students are finding creative excuses to avoid it. We collected just a small amount in this article, but there are literally thousands of excuses like these, and students keep coming up with new ones.

Hope these excuses brighten your mood right for the rest of the day!

Lucy Benton is a writing coach, an editor who finds her passion in expressing own thoughts as a blogger. She is constantly looking for the ways to improve her skills and expertise. Lucy also has her own blog, Prowritingpartner.com, where you can check her last publications. If you’re interested in working with Lucy , you can find her on Twitter.