in an article about students who get injured, a person sitting down with their laptop

Guide for College Students — What To Do If You Get Injured?

It can happen to anyone. Here's what to do if it happens to you.

During college, you’re supposed to discover how to become independent, learn things you’ve never heard before, and engage in experiences you’ll remember for the rest of your life. However, if you get sick or injured during this time, whether in a car accident, while playing sports or from simply tripping and falling on the college campus, your student experience can take a huge hit. The last thing you want is to return home and be forced to stay in bed for months because your personal injuries require a long recovery. However, even if getting injured can be a downer for your personal, professional and academic life, you can do some things to prevent this situation from turning into your worst nightmare.

Accidents can happen at any time and under any circumstances, so you should know what to do in case you become a victim. Here are some steps you should follow because you, as all the other students out there, should first think about your college progress before considering claiming compensation.

Get First Aid

If you’re the victim of an accident, assess the situation quickly to determine if you’re still in danger. If you are, try to identify the best way to remove yourself from danger and call the emergency services to assist you. If you’re not in danger, try to evaluate your injuries as best as possible and contact the emergency services to inform them about your health. You can treat most minor injuries at home, but it’s best to seek professional medical help to evaluate your health and determine if you can indeed treat yourself at home or if you need further professional assistance. If your injuries prevent you from seeking medical attention at the closest emergency department, call for an ambulance.

If you experience an accident near your college campus, you could visit the university’s first aid center. They can assess your injuries and provide recommendations on how to proceed. When you only have some minor open wounds, scratches, or cuts, the health care specialist from the aid center will clean the areas with antiseptic and cover them with a bandage or gauze to prevent them from getting infected. They may recommend you visit the facility to change the dressing later or teach you how to do it. In case you experience some light sprains or strains, they may strap your limbs with a bandage and recommend not using it for a couple of days to allow the injury to heal.

Report the Accident

If you aren’t at fault for the accident, whether it is a car crash, slip or trip, or incident in a public place, report it to the authorities to make it easier to get compensation. If the accident happened on campus, contact the correct department at your college and inform them about the circumstances. It’s crucial to report the accident to the right authorities to prevent someone else from getting injured in a similar way. For example, if you got hurt because there were liquids spilled on the floor, reporting it may get the surfaces cleaned so it doesn’t happen again.

However, if you’re the victim of an auto accident, reporting it to the authorities is important because it helps you claim compensation. When contacting the insurance company, they will ask for a copy of the accident report, and only the police can provide you with it. If you’ve never been in an accident before and have no idea how to claim compensation, it’d be wise to hire a personal injury solicitor to assist you in the process. Until you meet with the expert, you can use an online damages calculator to determine how much compensation you should get for your injuries and damaged property (your car may also need repairs). However, keep in mind that online tools can only offer an estimate. Only the personal injury solicitor can help you figure out how much compensation you should claim because they have experience handling these cases.

Contact Your Professors (and Employer)

Depending on how severe your injuries are, you may not be able to attend classes or work for a while, so inform your professors and employer about your accident. If you cannot make it to class or the doctors recommend taking a break from work, let your professors and boss know so they can make arrangements. Ask your health care provider how long you’re about to be out of your regular activities so you can share the information with those it may concern.

Also, you may not be able to handle some daily activities on your own and need your colleagues’ assistance around campus. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Taking the needed steps during your recovery keeps you on the right track with your recovery.

Try To Stick to Your Daily Schedule

An accident can affect your mental health as well. But remember that you aren’t at fault for the accident, and it could have been anyone in your place. Even if your physical injuries don’t require extensive recovery, the accident may take a toll on your mental health and disrupt your life. Personal injuries are often linked with anxiety, depression and PTSD, making it even more challenging for the body to heal. To prevent your mind from overthinking and deteriorating your mental health, try to stick to your regular schedule as much as possible. Of course, if your injuries prevent you from completing certain activities, don’t force yourself. But if you’re able to eat as usual, sleep the normal amount, and engage in your daily activities without damaging your health, do it. Follow your doctors’ medical recommendations, and you’ll have a lower chance of experiencing depression and changes in your moods.

Final Words

Enrolling in college is a massive milestone for any young adult, and you never expect the experience to change your life as it does. If you’re a student who suffered an accident, get help and make sure to claim financial compensation for your injuries.