4 Tips to Survive Your First College Party

You may have partied in high school, but college parties are on a different level, and you need to make sure you're prepared.

When you think about college, one of the first things that comes to mind are the crazy parties. Yes, these four years will be a time of dramatic growth that will help shape you into the ideal, responsible adult that society wants you to be, but let’s face it: you will party just as hard as you study.

As a freshman, your most wild turn-up experience was probably the chaperoned post-prom celebration at your best friend’s place, and the only thing you were drinking was Kool-Aid.

But you are in college now with new friends — maybe even a new city — and no parents to tell you what to do. So live it up while you can, and step out of your comfort zone for once.

However, you don’t want people to know you as that freshman who got blackout drunk at their very first college party. With that being said, these simple tips, if prepared in cooperation with writing partner customessayorder.com, will help ensure that you don’t make a fool of yourself and end up on the whole school’s Snapchat story.

1.  Eat Dinner

Ladies, I know you don’t want to look bloated in your tight outfit, and guys, you may just be too eager to party that you skip dinner. Please don’t make this rookie mistake.

Skipping a meal before drinking alcohol will just result in getting drunk very quickly and having a hangover the next morning. So, eat some dinner before hitting up the fraternity, and no, I am not talking about a side salad made of romaine and kale with light dressing.

After all, you want the booze to absorb slowly, so a burger and fries would be a good choice. Basically, anything high in carbs will do.

Also, don’t forget to drink a lot of water before, during and after your alcohol consumption. Satiation and hydration will lessen the chance of looking like a lightweight after only taking two shots and waking up the next morning hating yourself.

2.  Pregame

Pregaming is a great way to avoid drinking too much at a college party while still feeling buzzed (Image via Huffington Post)

Ah, yes, the drinking before the drinking. The stretch before the workout, or the warm-up, if you will. There are several reasons why you should consider pregaming. Usually, a pregame only includes a close group of friends rather than the whole school, so you will most likely know exactly where the alcohol came from.

When you attend a party that is hosted by someone you have never even heard of, chances are that most faces in there are unfamiliar, so don’t go around drinking anything and everything some random guy hands you.

As scary as it is, date rape drugs are more common than you think, and it’s a serious issue that you should be aware of. To avoid this, you can arrive at the party already buzzed and not feel inclined to drink a Solo cup filled with who knows what.

The unnaturally bright red jungle juice may be tempting, but you have no idea how much alcohol actually went into that concoction, so it may be in your best judgment to either drink less at the party and more at the pregame or steer clear of unknown alcohol altogether.

Unfortunately, you will encounter pushy drunk people who want you to be on their level, so even if you’re not drinking at the party, just hold a red cup to avoid the hassle. The good news is that a pregame allows you to better control the level of lit-ness you want to achieve.

3.  Dress Accordingly

As you get ready for the night, you look in the mirror and admire how sexy your calves look in those high heels. It’s a trap! When you’re six tequila shots in and breaking your ankles as you walk from one party to the next, you’ll be regretting that decision.

As for guys, tonight is not the night to wear your only button-down shirt from Calvin Klein. I don’t know how, but you will find a way to rip a hole in it or end up not having a shirt altogether.

Ultimately, make sure to dress for comfort and functionality. The tight dress that you have to constantly pull down to avoid flashing your cookies is not always the go-to. Sober you may believe this outfit is the one, but think ahead to how drunk you will feel by the end of the night; you’ll realize that sober you and drunk you have very different ideas of functionality.

On top of comfort, wear something you wouldn’t mind getting dirty because odds are that someone will be dancing on a table and flailing their arms in the air while holding a red cup full of beer that will inevitably spill directly on your shirt.

4.  Don’t Go Alone

To stay safe at a college party, always go with and leave with a designated group of friends (Image via Huffington Post)

Especially if this is your first ever college party, go with a group of trusted friends, and leave with them. At the end of the night, it is about safety, so don’t go walking into a house party alone, full of people you’ve never seen in your life. Your squad should look after one another because the last thing you want is your overly drunk friend to leave with a sketchy person.

You should always feel safe where you are and who you’re with, so don’t force an uncomfortable situation just for the sake of partying. Also, just be a good person, and if you see, for example, a guy forcing himself on a girl, then say something, and help her get out of it. After all, you would want someone to do the same for you.

This is not meant to scare you from partying, but it is meant to help you make smarter decisions while still having fun. As a freshman, your first outing may be a bit intimidating, but don’t worry; you’ll be an expert by the end of your four years — trust me. Looks like it’s time for you to throw on your perfect outfit, grab some friends and eat dinner before heading to the pregame!

Remember: Don’t trust the jungle juice.

Vanessa Le, Chabot College

Vanessa Le

Chabot College