creative writing course

Why You Should Step Out of Your Comfort Zone and Take a Creative Writing Course

Even if English is your least favorite subject, a creative writing course might help you find an appreciation for writing.

When thinking about writing, most people will let out a collective pained groan. Almost everyone can agree that English tends to be the most hated subject in school and in life in general. However, introducing a creative writing course to young students is a solution to help combat the hatred of composition.

With all of the technicalities that individuals familiarize with essays, all forms of writing seem like a chore at first glance. After all, in academic settings, you often have to ask yourself many questions during the writing process.

Is your thesis clear? Is your heading interesting? Are your transition sentences impeccable? With creative writing though, that’s the best part: there are no real technicalities.

Some may have their own personal stigmas surrounding creative writing, such as angsty diary writing or wacky fantasy worlds. While those are not directly incorrect assumptions, a creative writing course goes beyond acting as a therapeutic service or a channel for eccentric stories.

Ultimately, taking a creative writing course can be beneficial. One main advantage is that it’s very liberating; after all, you are the creator of anything you want, and you can make it just the way you want it.

That being said, there are, unfortunately, quite a few restrictions on this type of writing that you may not encounter with analytical or persuasive essays, which always have a specific format to follow.

An obvious benefit of a creative writing course is the opening of an innovative outlet for the writer. It may seem silly or juvenile to start writing so freely, but experimenting with different topics and styles of creative writing can expose you to your specific cup of tea.

Whether it is poetry, prose, personal narratives or non-fiction, newbie authors are bound to find a style they will enjoy and fully make their own.

After gaining writing experience, your vocabulary will be sure to expand and mature. Writing so many subjects and topics can be a relatively mundane challenge for some, so spicing things up with new and eloquent vocabulary words is one way to keep things interesting while challenging the author at the same time.

Using extensive vocabulary in creative writing courses will ultimately improve your craft, whether you use words for description or portrayal.

Besides improving your vocabulary, a creative writing course has other benefits, as well. For those who come from a very technical or analytical background, writing may seem like the last thing needed for any occupation of that nature.

However, businesses utilize writing, especially creative writing, in those fields more often than you might think. Whether it’s for persuasion or motivation in certain fields where a message or idea has to be simplified and spread to the public, having essential creative writing skills is important to get the message across effectively.

Businesses in almost any field use creative writing, so taking a creative writing course may help you find a future career (Image via Bram Naus on Unsplash)

Creative writing courses will also expose you to criticism and feedback. Now, hearing that doesn’t really sound pleasant. After all, who willingly wants to have their work torn apart and seemingly degraded in front of a group of people?

Well, it actually goes much deeper than you would think. Getting criticism is unavoidable for any type of creative writing workshop because situations that evoke feedback will always arise; for instance, any writing sample will always have room for improvement, and not everyone will see eye-to-eye on your work. However, that is just what a course is for: improvement.

Ultimately, there is no way to get better at writing than to practice it and to have constructive pointers to get your craft in the best shape it can be. By having multiple sets of eyes look at a piece of work, there will be many suggestions on how it can be improved.

This is not just a skill worthy for writers alone, either; it is a universal ability that transcends occupation. Learning to take criticism is something that everyone must learn eventually, and this is one way to expose yourself to the process.

During a workshopping session, the writer also gets to view the work of others, which can help them see how other people write and understand how other people’s thought processes drive their skill. At the end of the day, the all-around exposure that is present in creative writing courses opens your mind to different styles and voices of writing.

If you’re observant enough, you may pick up on something that you have never seen before, such as a descriptive method or a new tone. Ultimately, feedback sessions are beneficial for both you and your classmates.

Those skeptical of writing due to the stigma surrounding essays and formal articles may potentially find a newfound passion or calling in creative writing. Many find that after spending time in a creative writing course, they actually end up enjoying it and may even pursue a career that involves it.

Creative writing comes in many forms because it’s utilized through the media and in print. If using creative writing skills to produce a script for a show, movie or documentary is something that sounds interesting, it would be in your best interest to give it a try.

Something as simple as signing up for a course in the subject can drastically change your life and set you on a path you’ve never considered before.

Of course, it is incredibly liberating and therapeutic to get your thoughts and emotions out on paper. While that does not necessarily mean writing the same way you did in your elementary school diary, it does mean creatively expressing your feelings in a more mature manner.

You can be vulnerable in your writing without shame, and many creative writing courses allow that because it provides complete freedom to the author. In fact, getting all of those emotions out with this outlet can actually relieve any stress the topic generated, and it’s actually proven to improve mental health drastically.

You may find that you cannot talk to others about sensitive topics, so instead of verbally expressing them, writing them down is a cathartic release you will come to appreciate.

The next time you find yourself a few credits short during the semester, try out a creative writing course. You have more to gain than to lose because many people will help you out, and the course will expose you to diverse topics. Who knows? Maybe you will even find a future calling.

Grace John, Rutgers University

Grace John

Rutgers University