A Christian College Student’s Playlist

These songs can offer an emotional support through every situation.

For a Christian, worship is not only a part of their everyday lives, but also what defines who they are as a person. According to Merriam-Webster, one of the definitions of worship is “reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also an act of expressing such reverence.” The Bible includes clear expectations on how a Christian worships God. Apostle Paul writes in his letter to the Romans: “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him,” (Romans 12:1 [New Living Translation]). By telling followers of Jesus Christ to live a holy lifestyle according to God’s commandments, Paul encourages followers of Christ to worship God with every aspect of their lives, the most popular of which is through music.

Worship music is a genre of Christian music created to help lead Christians into proper practice of revering God. Songs of this genre can be written with few lyrics that are repeated throughout the course of the song for the effect of emphasis, or can be intentionally lyrical to express in detail the worshippers’ feeling toward the Lord. These songs usually aim to accomplish three things: making God at the center of the worshipper’s focus, encouraging the worshipper to abandon themselves, and helping the worshipper sincerely vocalize their affections for the Lord. They also remind the followers of God aid in getting through different situations of life.

Difficult circumstances that college students are faced with will not go away at graduation and are most likely to follow them for life, so you will find it helpful to know how to deal with the stress. Below is a list of popular worship songs that accompany the most common problems for college students.

1. For the Struggles of Life: “Way Maker” by Sinach

Some students probably have never dreamed that they would end up in college, and have everything they need to be successful. They attribute their achievements, how they were accepted into college, pay for their tuition, pay for books/supplies, and finding a suitable place to live on campus, to the Grace of God.

But sometimes, just as immediately as these initial matters go away, more issues surface. These could be as simple as not having enough food, not understanding the material in class, or as serious as watching your banking account steadily drop or financial aid acting up. The lyrics of Sinach’s song, “Way Maker,” read “Way maker/ Miracle worker/Promise keeper/Light in the darkness/My God/That is who you are,” which reminds people that the same God that made it possible for them to enter college is still with them and will continue to make ways to be successful.

2. For Loss of Direction: “Falling on My Knees” by William McDowell

Having no clue what to do or where to go is not strange to many college students. The anxiety could stem from anything from worries about a particular school assignment to a major life choice like changing a major or transferring to another school. “Falling on My Knees” by William McDowell is great for these types of situations.

The lyrics of “Some things I can’t see until I bow” encourage the listeners’ belief in God’s presence and in bowing before him (physically and metaphorically), fully submitting themselves and their Will to Him.

3. For Being Despised for Being a Christian: “No Longer Slaves” by Jonathan David and Melissa Helser

Jesus in the book of Matthew says: “God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way,” (Matthew 5:10-12 [New Living Translation])

A Christian surrenders their life to the Lord and in order to be the “holy and living sacrifice” that the Lord is pleased with, a Christian has to willingly follow the Lord’s commands carefully out of love and dedication, not obligation, and stay away from the things He despises.

In college, there are plenty of opportunities to do the opposite of what Jesus told you to. When a Christian decides to follow Jesus and stand for the faith, it is not always what some people deem the “normal” way of life. People may think you are weird; they may talk about you, look at you, even isolate or insult you.

The Bible teaches people to rejoice in these circumstances for they are acting for the sake of Christ, such situations might add more stress to a students’ life. Remember what the lyrics of the song say, “I’m no longer a slave to fear/ I am a child of God.” Don’t be fearful of persecution because you are a child of God and He is on your side..

4. For Thanking God: “Good Good Father” by Housefires

Christians offer praises and thanks to God for both the good and bad things. The Bible states that “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them,” (Romans 8:28 [New Living Translation]), which encourages the belief in a good ending for every situation.

Thanksgiving, one of the main celebrations of Christians to express their gratitude towards God, is most commonly associated with praise songs, another genre of Christian music, and other worship songs whose lyrics convey the idea of thanking God. “Good Good Father” is an example of this idea with lyrics that read “You are perfect in all of your ways, to us.” The song touches on God’s goodness and perfection and offers emotional support for listeners in every situation, good or bad alike. So whether you are going through a bad break up, passing a test, being rejected for a scholarship, or acquiring a dream internship, this song would be a great choice.

The four songs above are a just a few representatives of the broad genre of Christian music. A Christian college student can use these as a reference point to build their playlist of worship music to get them through both good and bad times.