News & Politics

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Based on the 1954 teleplay ‘Twelve Angry Men,’ the feminist reinterpretation asks critical questions about how much race and gender relations have really changed in the last half-century.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The influential, spiritual and ultimately suicidal founder of Pro Era will have an album of his unfinished work posthumously released on the five-year anniversary of his death, an event that remains shrouded in mystery to this day.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s all fun and games until Trump goes too far.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The rift between comedians and their audiences is nothing new, but the internet is.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As awareness of gender identity and its many forms becomes more mainstream, gender-neutral names are becoming more common, a trend that could potentially save millions of lives.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

Reyanne Mustafa and her parter, Kristian Krugman, turn unused food into protein bars, helping to alleviate hunger and change others’ perceptions of what food waste looks (and tastes) like.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

As an intern for the Blue Ridge Parkway, a national park that spans North Carolina and Virginia, the rising junior helps visitors appreciate the rich history of Appalachia.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

In attacking their school’s exercise initiative, the editors of UCLA’s student newspaper unintentionally demonstrate the problems of oversensitivity.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Given how critical music is to media, the real question is what took so long?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Last month at Comic-Con, the cable channel revealed the first footage of the soon-to-be-revived ‘Hey Arnold’ and ‘Rocko’s Modern Life,’ and ’90s kids couldn’t be happier.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A guide to this summer’s rare celestial event, including what it is, when it is, how to safely view it and where to go for the full eclipse experience.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The hot new health fad, which calls for abstaining from food for long periods and then gorging yourself briefly, is almost brutal in its simplicity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The MassArt student and founder of the Green Arts Network brings Boston-area artists together to spur conservation-oriented change.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

When Peter Frates, the former Boston College baseball player who popularized the challenge, filmed himself being doused in ice water, he had no idea the impact the video would have.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The recent death of Kyara is just the latest reminder that though orcas die at an alarming rate in captivity, SeaWorld has refused to free its remaining twenty-two whales.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Though the competition is often maligned for promoting stereotypes, the organization has made positive changes in recent years and remains the largest provider of scholarships for women in the U.S.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

A recent NYU study of Donald’s Trump’s tweets has revealed the key trait in almost all viral content.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Go from being a couch potato to a couch professional, all while making money and enjoying a flexible schedule.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The movie adaptation of Jenny Han’s YA novel will bring substantial Asian-American representation to the big screen for the first time in two decades.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

No quick fix will ever replace a healthy lifestyle, and any diet that promises otherwise is a bad idea.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

While Christopher Nolan’s WWII production is getting rave reviews in the English-speaking world, some groups feel that the film glosses over their historical contributions.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The transgender community is fighting for gender neutral public bathrooms, but they aren’t the only ones inconvenienced by the lack of them.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Inspiration porn, which objectifies disabled individuals by pitying or praising them, remains one of society’s most cringe-worthy mainstays.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Like everything else, veganism exists on a spectrum. Where do you land?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Where other female rappers have broken into the male-dominated world of hip-hop by out-manning their competition, Noname flips the script, delivering soft, dense lines of poetry.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Spurred by suppressions of conservative thought on colleges across the country, state lawmakers nationwide are enacting legislation to protect a right that has founds its traditional protector and prosecutor reversed.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The DuVernay test, named after the African-American director, assesses films’ racial representation in the same way the Bechdel test did for gender inclusivity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The College of Holy Cross is just the latest institution to consider changing its mascot to reflect the times, but moves like these are rarely the social justice victory they hope to be.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Arena’s second stint as the USMNT coach matches an old wolf with a team of young pups. Will he be able to rescue the U.S. from obscurity?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

After more than nine seasons, the series has become an institution in the LGBT+ community. If it’s ever going to be mainstream, though, a few things need to change.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

There are plenty of ways to celebrate antebellum society that don’t involve commemorating the Confederacy.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Kamala Khan, a teenager growing up in Jersey City, uses the ordinariness of her life to subvert many of the stereotypes surrounding Islam in America.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Pop culture is full of problematic media, but finding pleasure in hip hop, ‘The Bachelor’ or ‘The Lord of the Rings’ doesn’t mean you can’t be critical.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The entertainment expo offered trailers and teasers galore, but, as usual, the biggest news was what Disney barely mentioned.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The BU student, who split her childhood between Romania and France, is developing software to keep child refugees safe by allowing them to communicate with humanitarian workers.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The UMass student, who has a last name built for politics, built himself a coalition of supporters through grassroots campaigns and encouraging students to vote.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Russia, Trump and the moral vacuum of the modern GOP.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The far right’s favorite insult is a reflection of what scares them most.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

In recent years, the network has produced numerous critically acclaimed, socially important dramas and comedies.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

The ‘New York Times’ copy editors’ walkout reveals the great paradox of modern journalism—there is more to cover but fewer resources.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

For a generation infamous for breaking from tradition, they seem particularly interested in their genetic heritage.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The series, which follows a band of wayward female wrestlers, seamlessly blends stereotype subversion into its ’80s training montages.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Technology has made the nonconsensual leaking of others’ explicit media into an epidemic, but the tech industry has some tricks up its sleeve.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Theresa May and the British state are torn between appearing resolute in their demands and striking a deal that doesn’t hurt English citizens.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

Once tasked with regulating industry and protecting the well-being of America’s natural world, the EPA has become a haven for anti-science and anti-environmentalism attitudes. Why? Because of Scott Pruitt.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Political rhetoric has turned gun ownership into an untouchable issue that relies on paranoia and fearmongering. In reality, the conversation is simple.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

In their effort to ‘de-monetize’ videos with inappropriate content, the video site has arbitrarily punished the creators of wrestling commentary, leaving the entire industry reeling.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Outside of the contiguous United States, patriotism looks a little different.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

The Santa Clara University student, who will be traveling to Bolivia this summer to work with a female co-op producing sustainable clothing, weaves social justice into her sustainable clothing line.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The show “Uthando Nes’thembu,” which follows Musa Mseleku and his four wives, offers a glimpse into a society where polyamory is more normalized than in America.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

“Black Panther,” a film with a 90 percent African-American cast, needs to be successful to reiterate an important point to Hollywood—that audiences want representation.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Art has long been considered a means for artists to create new realities, but cultural sensitivity has challenged that license.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The YouTube star has admitted to preying on young, female fans, so why is he getting away with it?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The film, which is narrated by Samuel L. Jackson and sourced from Baldwin’s writing, poses questions that were as relevant at the time of their writing as they are today.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Though she was indicted for involuntary manslaughter, Carter’s real crime was her subversion of society’s archaic notions of suicide, which treat suffering as morally preferable to relief.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

At a time when campus shootings seem to happen every day, how will the Campus Carry Bill affect safety at Georgia colleges?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Hasan Minhaj, Sasheer Zamata and Trevor Noah are pushing viewers out of their comfort zones and making social justice center stage.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Republican response to Obama’s Dodd-Frank Act, called the Financial Choice Act, undoes many of the safeguards put in place to prevent another recession.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Now that the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program is on the block, students like me have been forced to scramble for new plans to repay our loans.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Though much ink has been spilt decrying the social and political concerns of the structure, its ecological ramifications are jaw-dropping.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you think topics like auto lending and Puerto Rico’s debt crisis can’t be funny, think again.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

For the sixth year running, the company has released a handful of products dedicated to affirming their belief that people, like athletes, are defined by their actions, not their beliefs or sexual orientations.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The real danger posed by terrorism is psychological, which means that the media is responsible for its potency.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Coach bought the designer to broaden its appeal to millennials, but the demographic has proved fickle in the past.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Counter to Trump’s logic, his decision will harm the world economically, environmentally and diplomatically.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Instead of listing all the things Trump does wrong, let’s talk about what motivates him to do so.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The long-awaited health care plan isn’t just another piece of shoddy legislation—it’s downright dangerous.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

On the bright side, the president’s tour of Saudi Arabia, Israel, Italy and Belgium could have been worse.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

For decades, stigma has discouraged women from reporting sexual assault. But have even deeper taboos suppressed men from reporting theirs?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

From diplomatic insight to fart jokes, the Catholic community had plenty to say about the meeting of world leaders.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The modern response to protests is to critique their participants, not their message, and these ad hominem attacks hurt both parties.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Britain has raised its threat level to ‘critical,’ and France has been in a ‘state of emergency’ for five years. Such precautions have ominous ramifications.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Undergraduates across the country are taking their security into their own hands, creating student-run programs to improve safety on college campuses.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Not only does the search engine skew your results, but you may already be paying for a better alternative.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Despite the fact that voters across the aisle have expressed disdain for the Clintons, the DNC and the media seem to agree that doubling down is the answer.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Created largely in response to counter alt-right violence, the ARA and other groups only escalate the fraught political atmosphere.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

By using the courts to combat Trump’s agenda, the DNC risks defanging the presidency that they hope to win back in four years.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After reports of the program’s cessation conflicted with the White House’s statement, the country is left wondering why women’s education is negotiable at all.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Six things you need to know about Emmanuel Macron and the future of France.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Government has a system of checks and balances, so should the media.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Do you know the difference between news and clickbait?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Diversity of perspective is a critical part of college, but not when it comes to empirical knowledge.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

He recently deemed the organization no longer ‘obsolete,’ signaling a shift toward a more globalist policy.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

You should be using Facebook and Twitter to spread information, not verdicts.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After saying goodbye to both Bill O’Reilly and Roger Ailes, the network stands poised to usher in a new era of conservative cable.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Most millennials have never known a world without perpetual war, weekly shootings and extremist attacks.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Trump’s recent missile strike may have more to do with Pyongyang than Aleppo.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The conflict in the Middle East is a lot closer to home than you think.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The plan, dubbed the Excelsior Scholarship, is ambitious but imperfect. Here are its biggest drawbacks.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

The petty bickering might be frustrating, but it was designed to be.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

After visiting with a few other foreign-exchange students, I couldn’t help but notice how similar the country is to another communist nation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Supporting scientific innovation, especially the kind that saves lives and makes money, wasn’t a partisan issue before President Trump.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Why Americans hate Russians and Russians hate Americans, in a nutshell.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you only read the title of this article, please don’t share it.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If you think admitting your privilege is self-effacing, then you’re in for a pleasant surprise.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With sweeping cuts to the arts, education and sciences, and increased defense and fossil-fuel funding, Trump appears to be on the warpath.

By

Responsive image
College x

For the uninitiated, here’s a taste of the weird micro-communities that are Christian colleges. And for the initiated—can I get an amen?

College x

For starters, you don’t dread it anymore.

Responsive image
College x

Decorating hacks that will help you make your dorm feel like home, without breaking any rules or incurring any fines.

Responsive image
College x

Think you have what it takes to be a software developer? Before enrolling in a master’s program, make sure you have these six qualities.

Responsive image
Responsive image

From air-freshening bamboo palms to multipurpose aloe vera, these are the most low-maintenance, student-friendly plants you can get.

Responsive image

Going abroad is fun, but remember to plan for the unexpected, especially when it comes to staying in a stranger’s home.

Responsive Image

With the booking app’s help, you can finally travel and live like everyone else on your Instagram.

Responsive Image

Finding friends in college is important, but finding time to be alone is essential.

Responsive Image

Take it from someone who goes to one of the largest universities in the world—big schools might be intimidating, but they’re so worth it.

Responsive Image

From making ambitious plans you’ll never keep to counting down the days till school returns, your summers are a lot less unpredictable than you think.

Responsive Image

Once you can do everything on this list, you’re officially an adult.

Responsive Image

As the seminal collection from Joan Didion turns fifty, here are four of its best, most perfectly preserved lessons about youth and growing up.

Responsive Image

If you’re tired of dining hall food or delivery fees from Postmates, here’s where to start.

Responsive Image

You’re going to drink a lot of coffee in college, so you might as well find your favorite way to make it.

Responsive Image

Not one of which is ‘doesn’t take attendance.’

Responsive Image

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse, one in five college students suffers from Alcohol Use Disorder.

Responsive Image

Do you recognize yourself in any of these scientific explanations for procrastination?

Responsive Image

You’ve made it into adulthood at last, but the most annoying affliction of adolescence has hitched a ride. How do you deal? Follow these tips.

Responsive Image

When your bank account tells you it’s time to get a job, look no further than your own university.

Responsive Image

With smart budgeting and a few tricks, stretching your bank account till payday never seemed so doable.

Responsive Image

Know a student filmmaker? Make sure they have these essentials!

Responsive Image

You belong on campus. Misogynists don’t.

Responsive Image

Keeping your relationship at an acquaintance level actually comes with a lot of benefits.

Responsive Image

Many colleges are moving away from using standardized testing scores to determine a student’s potential, but why?

Responsive Image

From Band-Aids to barf to building a community, your local RA is ready to help.

Responsive Image

You’re going to have to make a new schedule every semester, so why not do it right?

Responsive Image

If you want to stay mentally fit for next semester, try one of these activities.

Responsive Image

You’ll be thankful later when you can fix any wardrobe malfunction or clean any surface.

Responsive Image

Siestas are an integral, precious component of college life. Here’s a guide to getting the best rest—so you can pass that test and party like a pro.

Responsive Image

More money, fewer problems.

Responsive Image

If you’re having trouble keeping up with reading assignments, it might because you’re leisure-reading instead of college-reading.

Responsive Image

You save money on a trip to Target, and you make your dorm feel less like a WWII bunker. Win-win.

Responsive Image

Given that your parents have already been through their early twenties, the only one who’ll be surprised by how much you change is you.

Responsive Image

Classes that help you go from high school to college seamlessly are like instruction manuals—you might not read them, but you’d be a lot better off if you did.

Responsive Image

Here’s some guidance on how to give some guidance to a younger sibling applying to college.

Responsive Image

Going to school in the summer after you’ve been stressing for the last sixteen weeks sucks, but maymesters can be worth it in the long run.

Responsive Image

You’d be lost (literally) without her.

Responsive Image

It’s not all door chants and cringey stereotypes .

Responsive Image

Despite what you’ve heard, you don’t have to be outgoing to stand out in your internship.

Responsive Image

No, really, not everyone is ‘doing it.’

Responsive Image

Trust me, you’ll regret it.

Responsive Image

Moving into a new living situation with an unfamiliar person can be difficult, so look for these signs to see if you two will make it.

Responsive Image

More students are using recreational drugs than ever before, so we spoke with several dealers to better understand the college drug-bubble and the role it plays in shaping national drug policy.

Responsive Image

At the University of Colorado Boulder, members of the Psychedelic Club are working to dismantle the taboos surrounding LSD, shrooms and ecstasy.

Responsive Image

It’s not a can of Pepsi, but professor Juan E. Gilbert’s ‘Traffic Stop’ app aims to reduce the likelihood of violence in routine traffic violations.

Responsive Image

In an age in which universities are increasingly responsible for the mental health of their students, it pays to remember that, in reality, they have no such obligation.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

If you’re working to put yourself through school, and your employer says that they need unexpected hours from you, here’s how you can still make school work.

Responsive Image

Your bank account certainly thinks it’s an option worth exploring.

Responsive Image

Despite what they think, your high school hasn’t told you any of what you really need to know.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Good things come in small classes.

Responsive Image

The FOMO can be discouraging, but it’s not worth missing the experience of a lifetime.

Responsive Image

It might be time to adjust the recruitment process.

Responsive Image

The constant, irrational fear can be a real pain in the ass, but these techniques can help you prevent it from overtaking your life.

Responsive Image

After moving from North Dakota to New York, I learned a few things about culture shift.

Responsive Image

Having students take a few of the same classes teaches them about much more than the subject matter.

Responsive Image

Pro tip: Ramen eventually starts to suck.

Responsive Image

If you’re a student with a broken limb and no idea how to deal, here are some tips for navigating life with a handicap.

Responsive Image

Health doesn’t have to be hard.

Responsive Image

Hundreds of people every year are awarded doctorates without paying tuition or attending classes. Must be nice.

Responsive Image

Sometimes, you’re just going to make the wrong choice.

Responsive Image

Turn those noodle bricks into noodle hits!

Responsive Image

If you really think that your diet doesn’t affect performance, then you clearly haven’t been eating your blueberries.

Responsive Image

As Aristotle would have explained, ‘Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.’

Responsive Image

Picking comfort over style is always the right way to go for shoes, especially in college.

Responsive Image

The b-boys of UConn’s Break Dancing Club give ‘head-spinning’ an entirely different meaning.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Not to sound like a dad, but there’s a lot to be said for learning the value of hard work.

Responsive Image

Take it from a D1 volleyball player—nothing can prepare you for playing in the NCAA.

Responsive Image

If you’re looking to make some serious bank this summer, look no further than your dresser.

Responsive Image

Looking to fall behind? Then tell the truth.

Responsive Image

One of them may or may not be money.

Responsive Image

If you find yourself unable to take classes in another country, here are the seven silver linings of staying home.

Responsive Image

I survived, and actually thrived, in college despite mental health disorders, and so can you.

Responsive Image

The language you learn should depend on the life you want to live, so here’s a list that matches five tongues to their corresponding lifestyles.

Responsive Image

MIT professor César Hidalgo’s eight-part reality television series, “In My Shoes,” proposes treating academics like pop stars.

Responsive Image

Unlike in high school, slacking off in your last year of college can really tank your post-grad plans.

Responsive Image

In partnership with Voices of African Mothers, students from Cornell University Sustainable Design are working to create a self-sustaining school for Ghanaian girls.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Finally found that three-bedroom, two-bathroom, pet-friendly house of your dreams? Consider these pearls of renting wisdom before you do anything else.

Responsive Image

Emotional support animals are not service animals, not trained and not easy to care for, so bringing one to school should not be a simple decision.

Responsive Image

If you’ve ever been jealous of the life of a college athlete, you don’t have all the facts.

Responsive Image

And ‘Can you sign this form for my college credit?’ isn’t one of them.

Responsive Image

Here are four ways to beat the boredom all by your lonesome.

Responsive Image

When you wanted to get fucked up without getting fucked over, you have to watch out for the cops and the creeps.

Responsive Image

If you’re reading this piece, then number five has already worked.

Responsive Image

This is not a paid promotion, I swear.

Responsive Image

From Will Ferrel singing at USC to Betsy DeVos being booed at Bethune-Cookman, here are six stand-out speeches from this season’s graduation ceremonies.

Responsive Image

Without some planning, it’s easy for you to walk straight off the stage and right into an existential crisis.

Responsive Image

If you need to see a therapist, here’s how to make sure that you get one that actually helps.

Responsive Image

There are a million perks to meeting your significant other at college, but one huge downside. Here’s how to stay together when summer break tries to pull you apart.

Responsive Image

It’s just like the first day of classes, except you’re wearing a pantsuit instead of a sweatpants.

Responsive Image

According to new research in the ‘Scientific American,’ your professor’s suggestion to handwrite your notes has empirical backing.

Responsive Image

After interning for ‘Study Breaks’ while studying and traveling in Europe, I have some experience with the subject.

Responsive Image

Remember how you used to make fun of graduates that came back and hung out? Now it’s your turn.

Responsive Image

After four months of writing a weekly article and participating in the weekly workshops, here are the most helpful writing tips I learned.

Responsive Image

What’s that saying about something happening to people who don’t study the past?

Responsive Image

Take it from someone who thought she would never fall victim to the apathy of senior year—it’s real, it’s unavoidable and it’s a lot of fun.

Responsive Image

If you’ll be graduating in twelve months and find that thought completely unbelievable, I’m right there with you.

Responsive Image

Take it from someone who has been in the real world for all of two weeks—it’s cold out here, and there’s no going back.

Responsive Image

What are web buds good for?

Responsive Image

Trust us, there are more important considerations than how chill your boss is going to be.

Responsive Image

To be fair, you may still be making a lot of these long past freshmen year, but that’s on you.

Responsive Image

They may not buy you dinner, but working for free has a long, long list of benefits.

Responsive Image

One of the most common mistakes students make is thinking that there is only way to study for every kind of class.