News & Politics

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The 28-year-old figure skater Adam Rippon was recently named the third member of the men’s team, but not without controversy.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Barbara Harris, founder of Project Prevention, has some permanent solutions that might conflict with your moral landscape.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Trump administration could leave 200,000 Salvadorans deported after 17 years of building lives in the U.S. and despite obvious safety concerns in El Salvador.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

With high political tension across the country, 2017 was a dynamic year for all minorities, in both good ways and bad.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

While the show’s first season explored the Queen’s relationship with her controlling mother, ‘Victoria’ Season 2 follows her own experiences with maternity and governance.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

This true story about the Washington Post will have every college student changing their major.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Congress has a full plate of work as well as the uncertainty of the midterms to balance during this new year.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

While the effort to maintain campaign commitments is ever-present, President Trump will need the additional support a bipartisan Congress can offer to move forward in 2018.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With assisted-suicide machines in the works, having a hand in your own death could be easier than ever in the near future.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

As Californians ring in the New Year with a recurring case of the munchies, a new era for legal weed also begins.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

You no longer need a dealer to get pot in California because marijuana shops open their doors to recreational sales to everyone.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Roy Moore, former Alabama Senate candidate, believes that America was great during slavery. How these microaggressions lead to macroaggressions and the reasons behind them.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

It all comes down to power. When does it ever not?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Yes, we’re only a week in. No, this list is not exhaustive.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Whether you’re a full-time or dual-enrolled college student, you can look forward to some of these benefits resulting from the recent tax bill.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Did any of this even happen?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As a successful governor and representative of minorities, Nikki Haley has the potential to make it all the way to the Oval Office.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The College of the Atlantic is setting a nationwide example for how forward-thinking universities should approach environmental sustainability.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

Hannah Zimmerman is taking the world of politics by storm, and as a Stanford freshman, she just might be the most experienced eighteen-year-old on campus.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Indivior’s newly developed drug, Sublocade, may reshape the battle against opioid addiction.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The relationship of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry provides insight into the problem of the ideal white beauty within the black community.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Brock Turner, former Stanford swimmer and convicted rapist, wants to overturn his conviction, but how does this affect college students?

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

What effects have the California fires had on the state’s students, and how will the fires affect their campuses and their families?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

A short story was the latest thing to catch the internet’s attention, but how did a piece of fiction from the New Yorker manage to storm through Twitter?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

These highlights from the 2017 edition of ‘The Best American Nonrequired Reading’ provide perfect snapshots of the topics in which defined this past year.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With the recent rollbacks of net neutrality laws by the FCC, many are arranging funeral services for the once free and open web.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Alabama’s recent Senatorial special election made history, but only by a nose. What does the contentious election say about voters?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Silence Breakers earned Time’s Person of the Year, but there is a cynical downside to their victory.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Wish.com is under fire after publishing an ad for plus size tights, which shows how slow changes are being made to include all women in fashion.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Respectable journalism is dying at the hands of the rich, which leaves the future of the industry looking stark and uncertain.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In light of the Roy Moore allegations, it’s a wonder conservatives can still cry “family values” because this isn’t the first time the party has supported a sexual predator.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Many of President Trump’s decisions aren’t well received by the public, but when it comes to Jerusalem, he may have mildly solved an ancient dispute.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Robert Mueller is gunning for the truth and former national security adviser Michael Flynn is directly in his crosshairs.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

If the bill becomes official, college students will quite literally be paying the price.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The gaming platform, Steam, dropped using the form of currency called Bitcoin, but does anyone actually know what Bitcoin is?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Following the Alabama election, let’s take a look at the results, reactions and their broader implications.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Dom Hoffman, a co-founder of Vine, hints at a new version of the app, Vine 2, and people are torn between believing the hype and doubting the revival.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Former Today Show co-host Matt Lauer is another example of men in power using women to their advantage.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As the Trump administration plans to downsize national monument lands, energy interests seem to be the reason for change despite protests.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The FCC will vote on December 14 to repeal internet regulations, which currently require internet service providers to treat all internet traffic equally.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Even if President Trump declines to, you can celebrate the accomplishments of these five outstanding entertainers–this year’s honorees.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

It may be hard at times to believe an alleged victim of sexual harassment, so here are some tips to know when considering both sides of the story.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

For both faculty and students alike, moving forward after the Ontario colleges strike will take more than just time and financial compensation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

How hard is it to find politicians who haven’t been accused of sexual harassment?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Why the Asian American community needs to deal with its anti-blackness ideals.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

PC culture might be able to save us from the alt-right and their Nazi leaders, and it’s time for college campuses to put their foot down.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The International Olympic Committee decided that Russia will be banned from the 2018 Olympic Winter Games following its doping investigation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

There’s recently been an inundation of allegations of sexual assault and harassment, and while troubling, it’s imperative these accounts are heard.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The case will answer whether it’s a First Amendment violation to require crisis pregnancy centers to share information about state-funded abortion services and the medical licensing of the clinic.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The new House tax bill could mean more dollar bills out of pocket for you.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As a result of their own struggles with racism and injustice in the U.S., Asians and Asian Americans have exhibited a history of complicity in the oppression of black bodies.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In its first few months of providing subsidized tuition to qualified New York students, the Excelsior Scholarship has raised a number of questions about the viability of a bankrolled education.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Twitter’s new 280-character limit is all fun and games until the president starts to use it for his rants, insults and misuse of classified information.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As the Afghanistan War nears the two-decade mark, a bevy of social media resources have sprung up to help bring the conflict back into the popular consciousness.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

How well do you think you know your Canadian neighbors?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Now more than ever, men need to reexamine the ways they treat women. Isn’t that what chivalry has always preached?

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The usual m.o. for negative press—pass a self-imposed ban, promise things will be different and then, when the smoke blows over, return to business as usual—might not work this time.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Indian army has systematically carried out the disappearances of over eight thousand Kashmiris. Where are the bodies?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Women make up nearly 50.8 percent of the population, yet they only account for 19.6 percent of the U.S. Congress. What gives?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In an eery parallel to the 1940s internment camps of Japanese Americans, hundreds of legal Cambodian-Americans citizens are being held without reason.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Considering the number of injuries to team passers this season, is it just ‘bad luck’ or is it becoming tougher to protect quarterbacks in today’s NFL?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

You both love dogs, eating ice cream and watching Game of Thrones. It’s all wonderful, but what about when the dating turns to politics?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A surprising wave of Democrats inundated Virginia politics, and many think Trump is the reason why.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

A new study has found that gamers outperform non-gamers in attention tests, so go ahead, log back on.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Why we should all be terrified of the rise of the European far right.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The origin of the hashtag that sparked a social media uprising.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Here are just a few light talking points for family dinners during the holiday season!

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

This week’s local elections show a changing face for our legislators.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The brand is back, but one question remains: Is it still the same as before?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Is living in a political bubble beneficial?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

New health care policies made by the Trump administration are going into effect soon, which means it’s time to stand up for women’s rights.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The recent Harvey Weinstein scandal, in which his history of unchecked sexual harassment became public, isn’t groundbreaking.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With tensions running high between the mass media and political actors, one question remains highly contested: Should media outlets give equal time to all sides of a story?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s hard to have a conversation with those that have opposing views. Here’s how you can fix that.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Struggling to find the perfect political commentary? Piker has your daily dose of news and politics while serving up looks you can’t resist.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The new Higher Education Access and Success for Homeless and Foster Youth Act, if passed, marks a significant step toward leveling the educational playing field for disadvantaged students.

By

Responsive image
College /// Culture /// News & Politics x

UW-Madison student activist Katherine Kerwin has a bone to pick with pro-gun legislation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Is Trump going too far to repeal and replace reforms under Obama’s administration? Or is he trying to make his own legacy as an American President?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Every time the words “mass murder” are spoken, the plight and genocide of millions of Native Americans continue to be forgotten.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Men who are willing to speak up can help the fight against sexual harassment.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

This decision will impact American politics, regardless of the outcome.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

What are the repercussions when schools cancel honors classes?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Bump stocks are more crucial to this debate than you may think.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

American society runs on democracy and it’s important; but as a college student, are you using your democratic rights?

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

A look into Ta-Nehisi Coates’ article, “The Case for Reparations” and why reparations should be in the minds of all Americans.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The nuances of mental health can be hard to nail in fiction, but these novels do it perfectly.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As the first Korean drama to be remade for American television, the show proves that a series can be bigger than its entertainment value.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

As you might imagine, the debate is about much more than language.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Sometimes, health has nothing to do with whether you should get help.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

With tracking devices, helmet cams and improved camera mobility, bungled calls may soon be a thing of the past.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Preparation is the key to survival when a tragic moment occurs at a music event.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Creator of ‘Hamilton’ Lin-Manuel Miranda has put together a massive effort to rally Puerto Rican celebrities and send aid to the devastated island.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Identifying terrorism by its correct name is the first step in combatting the crime itself.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Puerto Rico is suffering from a severe hurricane that hit weeks ago, though President Trump’s delayed response suggests otherwise.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Seventeen older adults commit suicide every day for one hidden reason: The ignorance towards elders with mental illnesses.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The revisions of Title IX by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos leave many campuses anxious about the future of sexual assault.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With insurance costs on the rise, it’s time to bring universal health coverage into the ongoing conversation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

President Donald Trump and the “Big Six” are already hitting some major tax reform roadblocks.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Of all the industries that Amazon has eaten, grocery shopping may prove the toughest to swallow.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

College x

Although being bilingual can be a struggle growing up, having this skill in college can be the key to a successful future.

Responsive image
College x

Applying to graduate school can be tough, but it’s important to know what to focus on the most in order to alleviate the stress that comes along with it.

Responsive image
College x

Want to spend a semester of school in Disney World? Follow these simple 5 steps of preparation.

Responsive image
Responsive image

The death of SHINee’s lead singer, Kim Jong-hyun, reveals where society can improve in terms of addressing depression and mental illness.

Responsive image

Even if you have high expectations for your college room, all you need is a little creativity and a trip or two to Goodwill.

Responsive image

Responsive image

Be the funny friend this year for little or no cost to your bank account by gifting a gag gift.

Responsive Image

The environment of a pet store can help you de-stress from your work and life.

Responsive Image

C’mon, just admit it, we’ve all done it. Just sprinkle some harmless white lies in your resume trying to impress the employer and score your dream job.

Responsive Image

Luckily for you, the groups are smaller and the experience is more individualized.

Responsive Image

Your mental health is more important than your studies, so here are a few tips on how to make your own self-care kit for the day’s you’re feeling down.

Responsive Image

As a fellow friendless freshman, I’m here to tell you that there are some serious silver linings to your first-year solitude—the biggest of which is that it’s temporary.

Responsive Image

DON’T BE THE PERSON WHO USES ALL CAPS UNNECESSARILY.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

You wouldn’t have to choose between whether or not to skip class if you would just kill the underlying problem: poor time management.

Responsive Image

The rising of tuition rates make many students reconsider their investment into a college degree.

Responsive Image

If just the thought of giving a speech sends you into a panic attack, this was written for you.

Responsive Image

Here’s how to deal with the unfortunate situation that you—and only you—are responsible for.

Responsive Image

It’s critical that you take your crippling anxiety and channel it into productivity, otherwise you might as well give up now.

Responsive Image

Religion classes aren’t what you would expect, and you could expand your mind by learning more about how people connect with their faith.

Responsive Image

As the job market becomes more competitive, adding a minor is a surefire way to increase your chances of securing a job.

Responsive Image

College students have an opportunity to put down their hefty novels and pick up picture books to read to preschoolers through Jumpstart.

Responsive Image

Students who graduate early may forfeit the outdoor ceremonies with big crowds and raucous cheers, but being in December commencement has its pros.

Responsive Image

College is a time to experience new friendships, and that includes roommates, too.

Responsive Image

This list is to make sure you don’t suffer from the nightmare of preparing to move from your dorm room to your new apartment.

Responsive Image

Some things to remember when your peers throw shade at your major.

Responsive Image

Your day could be a lot different without the thirty-minute snooze at mid-day.

Responsive Image

If you can’t join ‘em, beat with these different ways of having a good time.

Responsive Image

The last thing you need is to be stressed while planning to travel, so here are sixteen tips and tricks to make your preparation seem effortless.

Responsive Image

Side hustles for the busy student.

Responsive Image

Inspiration can come from anywhere, and for this University of Michigan sophomore, it came from nature and a premature college injury.

Responsive Image

These scholarships are both a little bit odd and a lot a bit helpful. Do you qualify for any of them?

Responsive Image

The last week of the semester doesn’t have to be the most stressful one.

Responsive Image

Are any of these on your course schedule this semester?

Responsive Image

Five ways to commit to the writing challenge amid classes and approaching finals.

Responsive Image

Whether it’s a line on a resume or because you’re the next Mother Teresa, here’s how you can do well by doing good.

Responsive Image

Is graduate school the best choice?

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

With sexual violence crimes continuing to rise across the nation, we need to do something to prevent the tragedies striking today’s young women.

Responsive Image

How a budget can make your college life a million times easier.

Responsive Image

And yes, the Louisiana State University student is challenging the status quo.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

You may be new to the journaling scene, but you are not alone in this adventure.

Responsive Image

These songs can offer an emotional support through every situation.

Responsive Image

It might be one of the most important tests of your life, but it doesn’t have to feel scary.

Responsive Image

If you’re getting sick of living off the Dollar menu, it might be time to take a new approach to saving money.

Responsive Image

Just, like, talk different, you know?

Responsive Image

Be prepared for possibly the hardest writing course of your college career.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

It’s much less fun than the popular “broke student” meme, and much more factual.

Responsive Image

For when the going gets tough, but your tough doesn’t want to get going.

Responsive Image

Consider the myth of student-athletes having it easier than other students busted.

Responsive Image

If you’re not one of them, chances are you know someone who is.

Responsive Image

Signs that everyone is getting sick in college and how to avoid them.

Responsive Image

The impact of seasonal affective disorder is real: What can be done about it?

Responsive Image

You probably do some of these without even realizing it.

Responsive Image

The emergence of multicultural Greek life has proved to be a haven for students of color.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

‘Lit’ can also mean getting drunk with happiness.

Responsive Image

Majoring in your hobby may sound like a dream, but it can easily become a nightmare.

Responsive Image

If you’re having a hard time adjusting to college life, a dog as a companion may be a good solution.

Responsive Image

The pros and cons of purchasing your caffeine fix from various coffee shops.

Responsive Image

Every minute counts, so don’t spend ten of them looking for your syllabus.

Responsive Image

Having a chronic illness in high school can be difficult, but surviving college with one can be harder.

Responsive Image

Bows-N-Ties recently unveiled their Greek tie collection, a line of over eighty ties and bow ties perfect for representing your fraternity and looking sharp at the same time.

Responsive Image

None of them involve your academic advisors being at all helpful.

Responsive Image

If you’ve ever gotten lost on campus as a senior, this list will help you feel less alone.

Responsive Image

If I had known what I was giving up when I chose to stay in Georgia, choosing a college would have been ten times easier.

Responsive Image

It may have taken me by surprise, but joining Phi Sigma Pi was the best decision I’ve made in college so far.

Responsive Image

Going forward, schools need to better execute sexual harassment investigations as well as investigate as independently and thoroughly as possible.

Responsive Image

Feeling emotionally naked and afraid in a new place? These tips will help you survive and break into a new culture with ease.

Responsive Image

Here’s how to stay up late to tackle that project/paper/test tomorrow with as little pain as possible

Responsive Image

Even regular colleges have their benefits for art students, but art schools also have plenty to offer.

Responsive Image

Choosing the right dog breed can be difficult, especially when you live in student housing.

Responsive Image

The truths of them have been debunked.

Responsive Image

If you have time between classes and are in the mood for something life-changing, give one of these videos a try.

Responsive Image

With the real world looming and the pressure of finding a job increasing daily, here are three ways to cope.

Responsive Image

When you delegate the writing of a large paper to a professional, you can focus more on the work’s intellectual content.

Responsive Image

Transitioning from college to the real world can be difficult. Here’s what to expect after taking your turn to walk across that stage.

Responsive Image

Use these resources to your advantage before you graduate; it will prove to be beneficial in the long run.

Responsive Image

Waiting to rush later on in your college career can prove to be easier and more fun.

Responsive Image

Your parents won’t be going to college with you, therefore it’s time to learn how to survive on your own.

Responsive Image

From lizards and snakes to millipedes and fish, a guide to the best animals for college students living in dorms, small apartments or shared living arrangements.

Responsive Image

There are some advantages of going to a smaller university and experiencing football season.

Responsive Image

Also known as ten classes more exciting than your standard Theatre Survey course.

Responsive Image

In the delicate balance between taste and convenience, these are the perfect recipes for students low on money, kitchen space and cooking acumen.

Responsive Image

Should you stay or should you go?

Responsive Image

Because, unfortunately, it’s still mildly unacceptable to wear sweats all day every day.

Responsive Image

If you want to become a good writer and fast, then this article is for you.

Responsive Image

End the stress over how, where and when to study. Your sign has all the answers.

Responsive Image

How much are you willing to pay for that A?

Responsive Image

These uncommon locations could change the way you spend your study time.

Responsive Image

Remember when you gave a crap?

Responsive Image

Step one: drop out and don’t write it.

Responsive Image

Going out doesn’t always have to be about getting sloppy and drunk.

Responsive Image

A warm bed in the peace and quiet rivals a wild Friday night.

Responsive Image

Both sides of the argument make valid points.

Responsive Image

Here’s how to do an all-nighter the right way so you won’t have to dig yourself out of a deep, sleep-deprived hole.

Responsive Image

If you’re feeling overwhelmed trying to pack up your life and head off to school, use these tips to help your move-in day go smoothly.

Responsive Image

Things you should know and things you will need when upgrading to an apartment.

Responsive Image

Don’t let moving into your dorm be an added stress to going to college.

Responsive Image

Consider my experience before buying into the stigma that commonly surrounds two-year institutions.

Responsive Image

Smells like team spirit!

Responsive Image

An examination on how much you can actually trust the system and what improvements can be made.

Responsive Image

Then, sit back and watch everything start falling into place.

Responsive Image

The proof is undeniable.

Responsive Image

For students thinking of pursuing a graduate degree, some important factors are often overlooked.

Responsive Image

Consider your physical and mental health before overloading your schedule with after school activities.

Responsive Image

This class is all the rage in socioeconomics these days.